DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Any Mad Dog Primer fans?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  poppameth 
#1 ·
I'm currently doing the back side of my house. This is my first large exterior painting project having done a lot of interior work.

The house has loose paint in some spots and some alligatoring. I have scraped all of the loose paint and feather the edges. I found that feathering 4 layers of paint is a lot of work. Even after feathering, I can still see the edges under a coat of primer which means that I didn't feather enough.

I decided to switch to using MH spackling compound to feather the scraped edges. Lot easier to sand & blend.

All bare wood, I spot primed with Benjamin Moore, exterior alkyd primer. Then I applied Mad Dog Primer over all areas. The best strategy I found is to Mad Dog Primer in the morning, wait a few hours and then paint the top coat in the afternoon.

I made a mistake of applying the primer one day and then painting a few days later. We had some wind and I ended up with bits & pieces of twirly birds sticking to my siding because Mad Dog Primer has a tacky feel, even when dry.

The paint I'm using is Benjamin Moore, solid acrylic stain.

Looks great so far.

Hopefully this will be my first and exterior painting job I'll do. The next time, I will let a pro do the work when I have more money to spend.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.