Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Share |

amount of spray paint

I have fake wood shutters what is the best paint and how many cans of spray for 8 sets of shutters?

JanParm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

amount of spray paint

Cannot help much without knowing the dimensions of the shutters and the size cans you plan to buy. The approximate coverage per square foot will be on the can. You will want several thin coats. Most brands in 12oz cans will claim up to 25sf but I would figure half that to be safe and to give you a nice, built up, film thickness.

Krylon and Rustoleum are among the two most popular large rattle can paint brrands. DupliColor is another brand sold mainly in auto stores. Liquitex is a rather expensive art store brand. There are of course private label brands. You can have spray paint mixed to specific colors too if that is an issue but it is pricey.

When you say faux wood shutters do you mean vinyl or plastic? You may want to use a spray paint or primer for plastic. Krylon Fusion comes in rattle cans, in many colors and is formulated for direct application to plastics. Rustoleum's plastic paint comes in just basic colors but they do have a nice plastic primer in both rattle cans and liquid form. You can, according to Rustoleum, use any finish over the primer.

The consumer cannot buy spray paints in Chicago.

Last edited by user1007; 04-19-2013 at 10:40 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

amount of spray paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Cannot help much without knowing the dimensions of the shutters and the size cans you plan to buy. The approximate coverage per square foot will be on the can. You will want several thin coats. Most brands in 12oz cans will claim up to 25sf but I would figure half that to be safe and to give you a nice, built up, film thickness.

Krylon and Rustoleum are among the two most popular large rattle can paint brrands. DupliColor is another brand sold mainly in auto stores. Liquitex is a rather expensive art store brand. There are of course private label brands. You can have spray paint mixed to specific colors too if that is an issue but it is pricey.

When you say faux wood shutters do you mean vinyl or plastic? You may want to use a spray paint or primer for plastic. Krylon Fusion comes in rattle cans, in many colors and is formulated for direct application to plastics. Rustoleum's plastic paint comes in just basic colors but they do have a nice plastic primer in both rattle cans and liquid form. You can, according to Rustoleum, use any finish over the primer.

The consumer cannot buy spray paints in Chicago.

I did not know this. Wow another govt. regulation.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

amount of spray paint

Just buy a gallon of your favorite Satin or Semi-gloss paint and brush/roll the paint on. I know it looks daunting, but, it won't take any more time than it would to spray them with rattle cans. Your trigger finger will be ready to fall off after spraying 16 shutters.

Just make sure these shutters are PAINTABLE. The newer molded plastic (faux wood) shutters don't take paint very well. The best way to determine this is to find out the manufacturer and go to their website to see if they are indeed paintable.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

amount of spray paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
[/COLOR]
I did not know this. Wow another govt. regulation.
It keeps the city 100 percent graffiti free!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #6

amount of spray paint

Wouldn't profiling be more effective and efficient than an outright ban? I know in my old state of PA they went through a phase at HD where the entire spray section was behind a lock gate and you had to ask for anything you wanted. Then you had to present a photo ID at checkout and they swiped it into the computer. Now the government knows my preference of spray paint. I objected vehemently of course.

OP, you could buy a trigger to save your finger, but spraying 16 shutters with rattle cans is still a gargantuan big mess. Go to my blog and check out my gallery for the gas fireplace repaint, that was 2-3 cans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote