Aluminum Siding On A Mobile Home... Too Many Questions!! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Aluminum siding on a mobile home... too many questions!!

Hopefully some folks here can help me finally make a decision on paints and answer a couple of questions along the way.

First off, we've got a seasonal single-wide mobile home. The aluminum siding was painted over 10 years ago, and while it's still looking pretty good, there are a couple of places where there were adhesion issues, and the southern side that gets most of the sun has faded quite a bit. We're only making minor modifications to the existing colors, if that's a factor.

Originally I thought that Valspar Duramax would be the paint of choice, but after a lot of reading, it sounds like overpriced hype. Not only that, but with a coupon I can get Sherwin Williams SuperPaint for nearly the same price, and it seems like quite a lot of folks like it for aluminum siding in particular.

So finally, here are the questions....

1. It seems like the consensus is to wash first with something like TSP. Is there something similar that's not quite as nasty?
2. Since we're not down to bare metal (except in maybe a couple of small spots which I will primer) but do have chalky paint, I'm planning on doing the first coat of SuperPaint with Emulsabond. If I go with the Emulsabond, would pressure washing alone be sufficient cleaning prep (as opposed to also scrubbing with TSP)? (Yes, I admit, I'm trying to save some time, since our time up there is limited.)
3. Since we're only up to camp on the weekends, it could be a few weeks between some of the steps. Is it ok to wash it down and maybe not end up painting it for a couple of weeks, or does the washing need to be done very close to painting? How about the second coat of paint? Should both coats be applied back-to-back, or is it ok to wait a week or two in between? (I say it could be a couple of weeks because you never know what you'll get weather-wise).

Thanks very much!!
-Mat

Advertisement

MatP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,272

Mat, if you do a search on here you will find dozens and dozens of threads on this very topic. Aluminum is one of the easiest substrates to prep and paint. If you have access to a pressure washer, dial it in for moderate pressure. All you need is enough pressure to remove dirt/chalkiness. If you'd rather clean it without the PW, simply load up a bucket with hot water and diluted Krud Kutter and wet the surface. Then using a nylon brush on a pole, scrub the dirt off using your hot water/krud cutter mix and rinse. No need for any harsh chemicals or TSP. Allow to dry and apply 2 coats of your favorite paint. My preference is SW's SuperPaint. Have used it for 34 years on aluminum and have never, ever had any problems with adhesion, peeling, etc. P.S. You can wait a week in between coats.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
MatP (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
If you'd rather clean it without the PW, simply load up a bucket with hot water and diluted Krud Kutter and wet the surface. Then using a nylon brush on a pole, scrub the dirt off using your hot water/krud cutter mix and rinse. No need for any harsh chemicals or TSP. Allow to dry and apply 2 coats of your favorite paint. My preference is SW's SuperPaint. Have used it for 34 years on aluminum and have never, ever had any problems with adhesion, peeling, etc. P.S. You can wait a week in between coats.
Thanks much. I haven't seen Krud Cutter so I'll have to look for that. I actually pressure washed the heck out of it last year (planned on getting this all done last year) and I've yet to check whether or not it re-chalked much. I'm guessing I'll probably go with a second pressure wash this year regardless. The job is small enough that running the washer is fun.

Do you ever use the SuperPaint with Emulsabond, or just go with straight paint?

Thanks again!
Mat
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,272

SuperPaint by itself. I don't like adding anything to paint unless I absolutely have to. If you're not feeling confident that you got all the chalkiness off by all means add some emulsabond.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
SuperPaint by itself. I don't like adding anything to paint unless I absolutely have to. If you're not feeling confident that you got all the chalkiness off by all means add some emulsabond.
Thanks for your help! I'll be hitting the SW store tomorrow to get our paint!