Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |

Aluminum Siding

The house I bought has aluminum siding that is chalking and oxidizing in a lot of areas. I have done a lot of research on painting aluminum siding, washing down the aluminum to get rid of chalking, using a good oil based primer, and using acrylic for the top coat. I really want to use a sprayer on the house but I live in the city and the houses are just to close together for my comfort so I will most likely roll it on.

My question is time, I just don't think when Spring rolls around that I can get enough time and good weather to do the whole house in one shot. Would it be ok to prime and paint the house a section at a time? The reason I ask is because I wasn't sure if different weather conditions might cause the paint to dry slightly different causing color variations.

Thanks

FlyingChampCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Aluminum Siding

Would it be ok to prime and paint the house a section at a time?

Yes

The drying conditions should not have any effect on the color( of quality paint anyway), I don't know about paint you buy at home depot or lowes.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #3

Aluminum Siding

The standard for doing aluminum siding is to power wash and use a scrubbing brush. Then use Emulsa Bond in your first coat of paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #4

Aluminum Siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Would it be ok to prime and paint the house a section at a time?

Yes

The drying conditions should not have any effect on the color( of quality paint anyway), I don't know about paint you buy at home depot or lowes.
Thanks for the help. Where should I get paint? Sherman Williams?
FlyingChampCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Aluminum Siding

SherWin Williams would be fine.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Aluminum Siding

The key to painting aluminium siding is to have a clean surface free from chalk, grease, dirt, etc. You don't have to prime aluminium siding, you only have to spot prime any spots where the bare aluminium is showing. Give it a good power washing and scrubbing making sure the surface is chalk free. We spot prime with dtm primer from sw. Then top coat with sw superpaint, whatever brand you choose to use for your top coat be sure to use a 100% acrylic. 100% acrylic will move with the siding in different temp. Changes when the siding expands and contracts. If you use oil base for your top coat it will not move with the siding when it expands and contracts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote