Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?

Hello folks...

Hung some drywall in a bathroom and the mudding phase will be done soon. Rather than primer I would prefer to use Zinsser Gardz sealer, but it's not available locally. Anyone know of a readily available, comparable sealer?

Thanks!

Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512

Sherwin Williams Promar or Problock primer work well on new drywall.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Trese (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Thanks for that... and the local Sherwin Williams also carries Zinsser 123 Bullseye, which I am considering, so between these, I'll choose one!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trese View Post
Hello folks...

Hung some drywall in a bathroom and the mudding phase will be done soon. Rather than primer I would prefer to use Zinsser Gardz sealer, but it's not available locally. Anyone know of a readily available, comparable sealer?

Thanks!
If we do not know where you are,how can we answer?
Probolck and 123 are pigmented primers and NOTHING like Gardz
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If we do not know where you are,how can we answer?
Was just asking for the kinds of things commonly stocked at most home improvement stores or ubiquitous paint store chains. But FTR I'm in LA County.

Quote:
Probolck and 123 are pigmented primers and NOTHING like Gardz
I realize that - Gardz is a clear watery finish for drywall that soaks in and makes a shiny hard finish, closer to shellac in that sense; 123 is a white primer that can be used on many more surfaces including metal. I've decided to go with 123 b/c I will need to primer other pre-painted surfaces in the bathroom, like over the shower stall where the paint has started to peel back at the lip of the top of the stall. I also have a metal shed in back that I need to treat with Osphos then primer, and 123 will work well for that.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Well being in sunny Cal. and you want something like Gardz( maybe not for what you are doing) Drawtite is out there somewhere and is what Gardz was formulated after. It works better than Gardz, a lot better.

http://www.scotchpaint.com/drawtite.html
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Trese (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #7

That's excellent to know, chrisn. Thanks very much.

The drywall I wanted Gardz for is a short wall coming in from an exterior door to the backyard that is left open 24/7 except in heavy rain. (Security screen door suffices.) The door jamb began leaking last winter (actually last few winters probably, but did not realize it was the jamb), so last week I tore down the wall to the studs to clean mold, repaired/resealed the jamb, and am rebuilding the wall using products that are good for sealing out moisture as we are just a few miles inland from the Pacific. But I hope Bullseye 123 will suffice. My original thread is here: (dealing with other issues too): Woman Needs Help With Exterior Cement :)

Thanks again for that tip about Drawtite... am bookmarking the link to my Home Repairs folder! I like that it has a Green version too!!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trese View Post
That's excellent to know, chrisn. Thanks very much.

The drywall I wanted Gardz for is a short wall coming in from an exterior door to the backyard that is left open 24/7 except in heavy rain. (Security screen door suffices.) The door jamb began leaking last winter (actually last few winters probably, but did not realize it was the jamb), so last week I tore down the wall to the studs to clean mold, repaired/resealed the jamb, and am rebuilding the wall using products that are good for sealing out moisture as we are just a few miles inland from the Pacific. But I hope Bullseye 123 will suffice. My original thread is here: (dealing with other issues too): Woman Needs Help With Exterior Cement :)

Thanks again for that tip about Drawtite... am bookmarking the link to my Home Repairs folder! I like that it has a Green version too!!

You're welcome. I used to use it all the time for my wallpaper primer but there is no outlet for it here on the dull coast and it was cost prohibitive to have it shipped here. It is a great product that all others like it were copied from.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I used to use it all the time for my wallpaper primer but there is no outlet for it here on the dull coast and it was cost prohibitive to have it shipped here. It is a great product that all others like it were copied from.

jackpercy57 is offline   Reply With Quote