Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 50
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


Hello folks...

Hung some drywall in a bathroom and the mudding phase will be done soon. Rather than primer I would prefer to use Zinsser Gardz sealer, but it's not available locally. Anyone know of a readily available, comparable sealer?

Thanks!

Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 987
Rewards Points: 512
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


Sherwin Williams Promar or Problock primer work well on new drywall.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Trese (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 50
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


Thanks for that... and the local Sherwin Williams also carries Zinsser 123 Bullseye, which I am considering, so between these, I'll choose one!
Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,791
Rewards Points: 2,088
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trese View Post
Hello folks...

Hung some drywall in a bathroom and the mudding phase will be done soon. Rather than primer I would prefer to use Zinsser Gardz sealer, but it's not available locally. Anyone know of a readily available, comparable sealer?

Thanks!
If we do not know where you are,how can we answer?
Probolck and 123 are pigmented primers and NOTHING like Gardz
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 50
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If we do not know where you are,how can we answer?
Was just asking for the kinds of things commonly stocked at most home improvement stores or ubiquitous paint store chains. But FTR I'm in LA County.

Quote:
Probolck and 123 are pigmented primers and NOTHING like Gardz
I realize that - Gardz is a clear watery finish for drywall that soaks in and makes a shiny hard finish, closer to shellac in that sense; 123 is a white primer that can be used on many more surfaces including metal. I've decided to go with 123 b/c I will need to primer other pre-painted surfaces in the bathroom, like over the shower stall where the paint has started to peel back at the lip of the top of the stall. I also have a metal shed in back that I need to treat with Osphos then primer, and 123 will work well for that.
Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,791
Rewards Points: 2,088
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


Well being in sunny Cal. and you want something like Gardz( maybe not for what you are doing) Drawtite is out there somewhere and is what Gardz was formulated after. It works better than Gardz, a lot better.

http://www.scotchpaint.com/drawtite.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Trese (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 50
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


That's excellent to know, chrisn. Thanks very much.

The drywall I wanted Gardz for is a short wall coming in from an exterior door to the backyard that is left open 24/7 except in heavy rain. (Security screen door suffices.) The door jamb began leaking last winter (actually last few winters probably, but did not realize it was the jamb), so last week I tore down the wall to the studs to clean mold, repaired/resealed the jamb, and am rebuilding the wall using products that are good for sealing out moisture as we are just a few miles inland from the Pacific. But I hope Bullseye 123 will suffice. My original thread is here: (dealing with other issues too): Woman Needs Help With Exterior Cement :)

Thanks again for that tip about Drawtite... am bookmarking the link to my Home Repairs folder! I like that it has a Green version too!!
Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,791
Rewards Points: 2,088
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trese View Post
That's excellent to know, chrisn. Thanks very much.

The drywall I wanted Gardz for is a short wall coming in from an exterior door to the backyard that is left open 24/7 except in heavy rain. (Security screen door suffices.) The door jamb began leaking last winter (actually last few winters probably, but did not realize it was the jamb), so last week I tore down the wall to the studs to clean mold, repaired/resealed the jamb, and am rebuilding the wall using products that are good for sealing out moisture as we are just a few miles inland from the Pacific. But I hope Bullseye 123 will suffice. My original thread is here: (dealing with other issues too): Woman Needs Help With Exterior Cement :)

Thanks again for that tip about Drawtite... am bookmarking the link to my Home Repairs folder! I like that it has a Green version too!!

You're welcome. I used to use it all the time for my wallpaper primer but there is no outlet for it here on the dull coast and it was cost prohibitive to have it shipped here. It is a great product that all others like it were copied from.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Alternative to Zinsser Gardz?


I used to use it all the time for my wallpaper primer but there is no outlet for it here on the dull coast and it was cost prohibitive to have it shipped here. It is a great product that all others like it were copied from.



jackpercy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zinsser Cover Stain Sucks Lovegasoline Painting 32 03-03-2013 07:26 AM
Four coats (2 Kilz Original AND 2 Zinsser BIN) Crystal2 Painting 21 06-08-2012 01:10 PM
Gardz for wallpaper glue/paste 6fthook Drywall & Plaster 1 08-05-2011 05:53 PM
Where to purchase Zinsser Gardz in St. Louis? lassieandleon Painting 2 06-28-2011 02:59 PM
Will joint compound stick to Zinsser 1-2-3? Lovegasoline Building & Construction 13 09-28-2009 10:55 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.