Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |

All surfaces painted with a brush different from surfaces painted with a roller.

I apinted my sister's kitchen yesterday and using the SAME gallon of paint, we cut in all the kitchen cabinets, ceiling and door trim.

When I applied the paint with a roller to the finished surfaces the color came out MARKEDLY different from the areas which had been painted with a brush.

Now it looks pretty ****ty because you can see ALL the areas which were cut in are much lighter than the parts of the walls which were painted with the roller.

Has anyone come across this and is there anything I can do to fix it?

praktikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

All surfaces painted with a brush different from surfaces painted with a roller.

first thing. ... use a quality paint or except poor quality work. Another thing to consider is that you did not load the brush enough when cutting it. Another issue is the timing between cut-in and rolling. You must keep a wet edge. Try cutting in one wall then roll, then the next wall. Also roll carefully close to the edge to keep most of the wall textured.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #3

try more than one coat of paint
Old 04-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
girl luvs her pwr tools!

you can use all of the oh so helpful suggestions above, but if you've already used two coats of paint, and a good type of paint, you can always go over the cut-in marks with a mini roller (they DO make these) or a sponge applicator brush. These handy foam items will give you the same texture as the rollers, because the brushes are just that, brushes and bristles will leave streaks in the wall.
Allnewtoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

I read the "oh so helpful" replies. I understand it was my first post but I am nowhere near my first painting experience.

I freehand all of my cutting and I've painted enough homes to know all the basics pertaining to dryong times and using 2 coats of paint.

Having painted well over 100 rooms in my life I've never encountered such a huge difference between the color/sheen applied using a paintbrush vs. a roller and was hoping someone might have experienced this and come up with a remedy short of repainting the entire room.

I have suggested attempting to correct the problem with a whiz (well I call it a whizz .. small roller with piles even on the ends generally used to paint behind toilets and in tight kitchen cabinet cavities).
Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by praktikal View Post
I read the "oh so helpful" replies. I understand it was my first post but I am nowhere near my first painting experience.
So, it was probably painting genies who messed with it- the opposite of painting fairies (who come along and do all the painting you've been meaning to do).

I'm guessing you didn't buy the paint, because with all your painting experience I'm sure you would know not to buy crap.

A have NEVER seen any paint that looked great with only one coat (even super premium paints look better with two coats). I have seen LOTS of crappy and mid-grade paints that needed waymore than two coats to look anything other than mediocre.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
So, it was probably painting genies who messed with it- the opposite of painting fairies (who come along and do all the painting you've been meaning to do).

I'm guessing you didn't buy the paint, because with all your painting experience I'm sure you would know not to buy crap.

A have NEVER seen any paint that looked great with only one coat (even super premium paints look better with two coats). I have seen LOTS of crappy and mid-grade paints that needed waymore than two coats to look anything other than mediocre.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #8

bet it was red
and gloss and if not red something that covers poorly/ did your cut in dry before you rolled
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
girl luvs her pwr tools!

As for cutting in, I notice I'm using a crappy paint (one of my first times painting) and the cutting in with a brush before painting still leaves streaks, cutting in with a sponge brush does the trick wonderfully but using painters tape leaves a sloppy line about 1/16" between painted and non painted surface. My father always used an angled brush and a cement or spackeling trowel to make the clean lines. Are there better ways to do this outside of calling a professional?
Allnewtoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

use a 5-1 tool sliding it along the ceiling flat which will create a barely noticiable grey line along the wall. Now use your quality brush with quality paint and paint up into this line. Done!
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #11

'Cutting in' is a bit of an art; some pros can do it freehand, some use tape. Whenever I paint, I use tape - proper tape applied a certain way - to give me what I qualify as a good line. Probably, bunk to a real pro - but good enough for my purposes.

I used to use the thin, metal paint shields and did OK but now use tape and a 2.5" angled brush. Don't ask why, I'm confortable with it. To each hs own....
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
Learning by Doing

Point of Order - Allnewtoday is not the OP so, we do not have confirmation that OP's problem was sub-par paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnewtoday View Post
As I said in another thread, I think I'll see if I can get my money back even though it's a custom mixed Behr paint because it's disgusting stuff. Then I'll buy a trowel (I don't know this 5-1 tool you speak of) and take my time "cutting in", resting the angled brush against the trowel and putting the whole contraption against the wall, boom, it should be done. I'll let you know how it works.
Allnew - this will work with mixed results - you are likely to 'push' some paint up behind the trowel and when you move it you will smear it all over the place. This happens because of minute imperfections on the wall and capillary action of the paint.

I cut in by hand with more than one clean brush at hand so I can switch around. Make sure you have a recently full stomach (no low blood sugar shakes). Work carefully and slowly.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
'Cutting in' is a bit of an art; some pros can do it freehand, some use tape. Whenever I paint, I use tape - proper tape applied a certain way - to give me what I qualify as a good line. Probably, bunk to a real pro - but good enough for my purposes.

I used to use the thin, metal paint shields and did OK but now use tape and a 2.5" angled brush. Don't ask why, I'm confortable with it. To each hs own....
That is my go to brush. Other painters look at me with disdain but that is the one that fits my hand, so thats what I use,90% of the time.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #14

Not sure why my thread was hijacked and the discussion turned to bad cutting in or ****ty paint. I freehand the cutting in for 2 reasons:

1- When you have a textured ceiling, the thin metal plate trick always leaves a gap which I dislike.
2- I don't want to use tape because I get "help" from family members or friends and they put too much paint on the tape and 100% of the time the paint will tear off when removing the tape since it creates a "skin" of paint that bonds the tape to the wall. Plus prep time is increased twofold.

The paint I used, was CIL paint. I used 2 coats cutting it in with a quality angled paintbrush (Simms 2 1/2") and 2 on the rolled surfaces with a 15mm pile roller.

Please stop spewing retardation in my thread unless you actually have something constructive to contribute.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
that should get you some help
As opposed to the golden advice which was proposed thus far?