Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Share |

All confused about paint and primers.

My husband and I are building our own house. His dream, my nightmare.
We're about ready to prime and paint new sheetrock. My husband has finally decided he's finished sanding. Instead of Level 5 finish, I think it's more like 7 or 8, with a skimcoat too.
Which primer do we use on sheetrock first? Is it wise to completely avoid the Big Box stores? From what I read on this forum all the paint at Menards, HD and Lowe's is absolute garbage. We were gonna use Kilz2. I know, you can all laugh now... I'll wait. There is a Sherwin Williams and a hardware store that carries Benjamin Moore. Do we use a different primer in the bathroom? After putting the primer on sheetrock, what primer do we use before we actually get to the actual paint? Bathroom paint primer requires a special primer doesn't it? Also, is Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams the best paints for DIYers? What's so good about them?

Last edited by stringy; 07-20-2009 at 04:45 PM.
stringy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #2

All of your fresh drywall needs to be primed by a drywall primer which is different than a regular primer.

I used a drywall primer that I purchased from HD. It was CIL acrylic latex primer, that worked well for me.

You don't need any other primer before painting, other than the drywall primer. After that, you can paint the colour that you want.

I used Ben Moore for my paint, and I had never painted before. I found the paint to be excellent. It gave excellent coverage. I did 2 coats.

Good luck.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #3

Judging on the "He's finally decided he is done with the sanding" makes me want to recommend this:

Yes, you can use a "Drywall" primer, but this stuff is just about the best in the business for a Latex primer and it leaves a bit of a sheen (Shine) so any imperfections in the sanding/mudding will stand out and can be taken care of before you apply your finish paint. It's a great primer for bathrooms and kitchens. The only time to use a Big Box store is to get the Bullseye in a 5 gallon container if the paint store doesn't have them.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #4

Matthewt1970,
Are you saying that you don't need another primer after you use the sheetrock primer? I believe that is what my husband is putting on today. I was under the impression that you still need another primer, after the sheetrock primer before your topcoat of 'real' paint. (the colored part) So, he could 'still' sand after the 1-2-3 if he wanted to? Then, he'd have to prime again?

Also, nap size. Does anybody use 1/4" rollers? I picked up Purdy white dove rollers because it says for very smooth surfaces, which is what my husband wants. I had never considerered larger than 3/8ths for sure, but I've seen 1/4" mentioned on this site. Confused again...

Last edited by stringy; 07-20-2009 at 04:42 PM.
stringy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

I was under the impression that you still need another primer wrong

So, he could 'still' sand after the 1-2-3 if he wanted to yes very lightly

Then, he'd have to prime again? no

nap size should be 1/2,( especially if the level 7 or 8 finish is being covered) I use 3/4 but that takes some experience
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #6

More like you will see a ridge or valley or bubble holes after priming that you will want to skim with the joint compound.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
General Contractor

Additional priming after using the PVA primer depends on the color of the paint you are applying and how many coats you want to have to apply. If you are going to use say a red paint in a room then I would probably prime with a tinted primer or flat paint.

You should reapply the PVA anywhere you do point up work. Not doing so may cause the pointed areas to show through. Benjamin Moore is a good paint and their overall quality has gone back up this year based on the test results I have read. Behr is also as good a paint and considerably less expensive. Sheens (Gloss, semi-gloss, satin) on all brands of paint will lessen with age.

It is a good idea to use a satin or semi-gloss paints in the bathroom as they hold up better to the condinsation associated with bathrooms.

Generally what determines how well a paint wears is the solid count in the paint. You can find this listed on most paint cans. The most expensive paint is not neccesarily the best paint for the job. When picking a paint try and keep in mind whether you think you will want to change the colors in a couple of years or not. If you don't think you will want to repaint then go for the better quality paints.

For more information on paints, primers, and stains cost versus value consult the Consumer Reports Website.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Behr is also as good a paint and considerably less expensive

Less expensive, yes Good paint, no

For more information on paints, primers, and stains cost versus value consult the Consumer Reports Website.

I would be very leery about using CR as a guide for paint, they do not necessarily do painting tests as to real world conditions.

Ask any professional painter their opinion on Behr

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"
Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Behr is also as good a paint and considerably less expensive

Less expensive, yes Good paint, no

I would be very leery about using CR as a guide for paint, they do not necessarily do painting tests as to real world conditions.

Actually they do. Behr has consistently performed well in them. We both know why pro painters prefer Benjamine Moore, Sherwin Williams, and Duron and it does not have as much to do with quality as some would like you to believe.

Ask any professional painter their opinion on Behr

I have and I know quite a few who like it and use it in there homes.

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"
O.K. that was pretty funny.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #10

CR rarley does real world testing. They rely on feedback from homeowners about their particular experiences with certain products. The testing done is generally lab tests which are excellerated at times to show results of a few years down the road in a shorter span of time. Behr performs well in CR because two main reasons, one of which is money the second of which is the consumer feedback tends to be ok but there is little input from pro users.

In our store we have a constant flow of past Behr users as well as others with Behr colors who will not touch the stuff with a 10' brush. All the pros we deal with will not even consider Behr in the arsenal of products to offer. Behr does fit a market niche for DIY painters offering an inexpensive lower quality product that performs ok. Are there alternatives out there for around the same money and better quality, you betcha.
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Actually they do. Behr has consistently performed well in them. We both know why pro painters prefer Benjamine Moore, Sherwin Williams, and Duron and it does not have as much to do with quality as some would like you to believe

.Say what?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDealer View Post
CR rarley does real world testing. They rely on feedback from homeowners about their particular experiences with certain products. The testing done is generally lab tests which are excellerated at times to show results of a few years down the road in a shorter span of time. Behr performs well in CR because two main reasons, one of which is money the second of which is the consumer feedback tends to be ok but there is little input from pro users.

In our store we have a constant flow of past Behr users as well as others with Behr colors who will not touch the stuff with a 10' brush. All the pros we deal with will not even consider Behr in the arsenal of products to offer. Behr does fit a market niche for DIY painters offering an inexpensive lower quality product that performs ok. Are there alternatives out there for around the same money and better quality, you betcha.
You got it.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDealer View Post

Is feedback from users not real world testing? Most lab testing is accelerated. You are absolutely correct as to why it performs well in CR tests: Cost Vs. Value. That was the point. You probably would not get a lot of pro response back to CR unless the pros responding used the product in their own homes and could in fact verify it's performance. I used Behr as an example because it has been verified to hold up as well or better in the CR test results depending on sheen.

I also said when picking paints brands you have to decide how often you want to paint. There is no point in buying expensive or very high quality paint if you are going to repaint one or two years down the road. Some people do like to change colors with some frequency.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #14

Feedback from users real world testing, not exactly when, with all due respect, its skued. Feedback from Behr comes from Behr users but not a user that has done one room with Behr and another with SW, BM, P&L, or other or better yet a true in the trade pro. That is where I think the pro's that help on many forums, like this one, are the ones to trust not CR. Also CR does way the ratings heavily on cost and value but in essence throw out performance, coverage, ease of use even thought they are mentioned.

Lastly your anology for buying expensive paint makes little sense to me especially when many high end paints will cover in 2 coats or less where as some Behr colors require more. Which entails more labor more product, hence more money, sub par results.

Behr has its place in the industry and they pretty much have the DIY market wrapped up. If you have success with it that is great but I deal with painters and DIYers every day and the stories I hear are amazing.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #15

To the OP, sorry I got off topic.......

A decent primer for the money would be SuperSpec primer/undercoater 253-00, by BM. If you have voids like pits in the skim coat try SuperSpec High build primer this is designed to go on thicker and fill minor imperfections.