Airless Spraying Advice/tips - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Airless Spraying advice/tips

Hello! Looking forward to some advice.

We are currently renovating a 1916 farmhouse in some serious need of work. All of the mahogany trimwork looks like its been badly beaten with a hammer for many many years, with a few coats of alligatored shellac to top it off.. It really is horrendous.

*Avoid slaps in the face* I'm painting it all white..

I KNOW I KNOW, its like some sort of cruel joke, but sadly, I'm serious. I've tried doing this by hand, and dear lord, I can't handle it. It took 7 coats of BM advance just to cover how dark they were with a crisp white.. and that was only 5 doors as we only had a babysitter for the weekend and I was desperate to get at least some done..

Fastforward past my numerous evenings of painting and drinking and painting and drinking later, I've purchase a paint sprayer.. for a significant amount of money, and I really don't want the nightmares I've been reading about online, like clogging, and sputtering, and dripping, oh my!

I'd like to use advance, however, is it hard to clean? What do you need to clean it? I have a wagner power painter optimum, and it has great reviews. I'm just very very paranoid about wrecking it. Will a waterbased alkyd be hard to clean out of it? Would I be better off with a water based only, or even a latex? (I'm probably not going to bother with thinning... knowing me, I'll ruin it.) Advice?!?! Tips?!?!

Thank you sooo much!

Advertisement

Mrsvwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Hi, saw your post over at PT, glad you came over here.

Advance (and other alkyd modified trim paints) are not really that hard to clean up. They're water based, so water will clean them for the most part. They do contain some alkyd resins that won't clean off so easily with water. Hot water and soap helps, but what I usually do is just clean up with water till the water runs clean, then flush the machine with paint thinner to get those resins out.

In not familiar with the Wagner you have but one reason handhelds spit is because paint builds up on the tip guard an the spray fan picks it up on the way. Check the tip guard regularly and wipe off any build up.

If your using the sprayer day to day, you really don't have to clean it up every day. With handhelds, I usually just wrap the tip guard with a wet rag and plastic. On most handhelds, the tip is the only way air can be introduced into the system. Keep it wet, and fairly airtight, and the sprayer will keep overnight fine.

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Hi, saw your post over at PT, glad you came over here.

Advance (and other alkyd modified trim paints) are not really that hard to clean up. They're water based, so water will clean them for the most part. They do contain some alkyd resins that won't clean off so easily with water. Hot water and soap helps, but what I usually do is just clean up with water till the water runs clean, then flush the machine with paint thinner to get those resins out.

In not familiar with the Wagner you have but one reason handhelds spit is because paint builds up on the tip guard an the spray fan picks it up on the way. Check the tip guard regularly and wipe off any build up.

If your using the sprayer day to day, you really don't have to clean it up every day. With handhelds, I usually just wrap the tip guard with a wet rag and plastic. On most handhelds, the tip is the only way air can be introduced into the system. Keep it wet, and fairly airtight, and the sprayer will keep overnight fine.

Great, thank you! Also, what do you mean by "flush the machine"... just put a little in the tank and run it through? Also, by "keep it wet" do you mean like soak the tip? Would you recommend a latex over this type of paint? Sorry for the rookie questions.. You've been so helpful!
Mrsvwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Yes, just run thinner through it after cleaning with water. You can take the tip guard off and soak it, but if your trying to store paint in the machine overnight the threads where the tip guard goes need to be wrapped like I described. The goal being to keep air out of the machine.

With a regular sprayer you can just dunk the spray gun in water to accomplish this, can't really do that with a handheld because they like to sit upright.
I hope that makes sense. I'll try to post a pic later.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote