Airless Sprayer Wont Spray - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Airless sprayer wont spray

My Campbell Hausfeld airless sprayer model s55nxhbt-7224 sprays a short powerful burst of spray and then only shoots streams of straight water. If I let go of the trigger and wait awhile it would shoot a spray stream again and then stop. What is the problem? I replace the filter and clean the hose and spray nozzle. I am using water to test

Advertisement

Last edited by Cpttrevor; 10-14-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Cpttrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpttrevor View Post
My Campbell Hausfeld airless sprayer model s55nxhbt-7224 sprays a short powerful burst of spray and then only shoots streams of straight water. If I let go of the trigger and wait awhile it would shoot a spray stream again and then stop. What is the problem? I replace the filter and clean the hose and spray nozzle. I am using water to test
Hi - I think we need a lot more background information. Is this a new one? used? has it ever worked to your knowledge?
First guess is the spray tip is turned to the "clean" position instead of the spray position. If it's getting liquid out the nozzle the line and filter are probably OK. The atomization takes place at the tip(nozzle). If it is set right, maybe you need a new nozzle, could be worn out if the thing has been used awhile. The other thing is it could be to large. If that is OK, could be the unloader valve in the pump. I'm assuming it has one as I'm not all that familiar with CH sprayers.

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum!

Moved you to "Painting".

Gary
Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #4

This is a new machine I had for years and now I am going to used it for the first time in years I cleaned the lines replaced the filters but I was having trouble removing the nozzle so I left it alone. I did not want to break anything because I was not sure if it comes off. I believe it comes off because working with automotive guns we always remove the nozzles to clean but this one I could not unscrew. Where is the unloader in this located I am not familiar with the parts so if you can access me to diagrams of this model and repair instructions I am quite capable of repairing it myself. It sprays strong initially and then goes into this straight stream. After I release the trigger and wait awhile it would spray again and stop and the stream again. If I had a manual on trouble shooting or repair I might fix it thank you. Cpttrevor
Old 10-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

did you prime the pump?

I had a similar problem yesterday when I went to use my Graco 395 sprayer. It came out just as a stream.

Then I grabbed the instructions , and forgot to complete the step of priming. prime might not be the exact wording, but thats what it did. It got rid of all the air in the lines, etc. so that the paint would come out evenly under the proper amount of pressure.

on my sprayer, I had to put a lever in the downward position for 15 seconds or so, to let the system pressurize, then i flipped the lever forward to the spray position. let the system build up pressure then sprayed. finally got the fan pattern instead of a stream

I also brushed the filter that was in the handle
bokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Most likely you have crud in the infeed valve---Remove the hose to the bucket---remove the brass fitting that the hose attaches to--

--soak that (that's the infeed valve) in laquer thinner or paint thinner--Stick your pinky finger into the hole and open the valve--clean the valve with a tooth brush.

Swish it around in the thinner and reinstall it--That should do it.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

I took the face off of the pump and the oil is clean and full next I took every connection on the top of the square block and clean everything. and make sure all orifices were open and functioning with air passing between. the intake suction hose I put my finger which did not fit but I use something smaller and it was able to push the part inside up and down freely. the only thing I can't get off to clean is the tip of the spray gun It has two holes an I assume there are not clogged because when I start the sprayer and turn the pressure knob all the way in and place it on spray it starts to suck the water in and then the water comes out of the return hose back into to bucket. I pull the trigger and the force and spray is beautiful and powerful and as fast as it comes it goes into a stream of water from the top and bottom nozzle holes. If I release the trigger and wait a few seconds I have a beautiful spray pattern again but only for a short while. If I partially depress the trigger slightly I have the spray pattern longer but eventually it also goes away and just the stream of strait water comes out as long as I pull the trigger on the gun.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
DIY staff

You are loosing your prime--Does it recirculate the water when the prime/run switch is in the up position?

Does the unit make a nice loud clicking noise when the switch is turned down?

There is a brass push button under the head just to the right of the feed hose --have you pushed that? (that clears some port in the head that clogs up)

Next is to remove and clean the prime /run valve---Before removing it---turn to prime---after it's primed turn to the run position and tap on it several times with a Crescent wrench-

That prime/run switch needs to 'drop into position' they get gummed up and the spring doesn't always pull the plunger into the run position until you rap the knob a couple of times.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #9

I took the brass button all the way out and clean everything that can be clean on it. The spray/prime knob I took the entire thing out and clean it but I never thought of hitting it to make sure it is not stuck. When I took it apart it was very clean. Yes and it makes that clacking noise which I think it is suppose to make. When I turn the pressure switch all the way in it makes that noise. When you refer to the prime/run switch is that the knob that is mark spray /prime on it?The port in the head that would clog I cleared with air and piece of wire. so it is all cleared.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
DIY staff

If you're getting that clacking noise you are good--great actually---

I think the gun is the problem--that clacking means full pressure---and the paint is recirculating--

Does the clacking continue when you press the trigger and loose power?

Bed time--I'll check in the early A.M.--work tomorrow--Mike--
Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #11

I am not sure I would check in morning and let you know thanks for your time and effort
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
DIY staff

They are great when they work--but fussy when the controls are dirty.

It's the inlet valve most times---lacquer thinner/xyleen/acetone are good to soak it in--

When the prime/run valve gets funky tapping on the knob works until you can get a new one.
jschaben (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Good info Mike. Been following this as, while not familiar with the CH, it sounded a lot like my Spraytech. I haven't had to disassemble mine yet, hopefully I won't. I think the real secret is to keep 'em CLEAN. Wagner makes some kind of water soluable lube to run through the things as a last step before extended storage that is supposed to keep the stuff inside from sticking together. You run it through and don't flush it until you're ready to go again.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
DIY staff

Yea, I wish I would do that---that's why I know how to rebuild these little suckers---

I've got two of them and both need new prime/run switches---and the local parts shop has folded up--so it's mail order time---

Nice machines---My oldest has to be 18 or 19 years old
Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #15

Ok I just had time to check it out again I was busy with school. I let the sprayer run build up pressure and it started to clack I pulled the trigger and the force pushes your hand back good power and a nice spray pattern as soon as you pull the trigger the clacking stops and the spray pattern is gone just two streams of water if you release the trigger and wait a few seconds the clacking starts again and it would spray and do the same thing over again would not spray consistently

Advertisement