Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

Share |

airless sprayer no suction

I'm new to the forum and new to airless sprayers. I bought an old Wagner HP1250 diaphragm sprayer without being able to try it. It doesn't develop any suction when I put my hand on the inlet. I cleaned a lot of dry paint from the intake valve after soaking it and looked at the diaphragm for any damage but it is ok. I also tightened the bolts holding the pump to the motor. There's still no suction. I'm wondering if there is dry paint in one of the passages that I can't see. Should I soak the entire pump in paint remover?

The owner said it was his brother's and he had just replaced the diaphragm. So I'm also wondering if that was done correctly. My hunch is that the sprayer didn't work because of paint being left in it (judging by the intake valve condition). The brother tried to fix it by replacing the diaphragm but that didn't work so he gave up and sold it. Yes, I got taken and can't get my money back, but it looks like it could be a nice unit when fixed so I'm willing to give it a try.

I'll say it myself so others don't have to not to buy a sprayer if you can't test it and particularly if you don't know anything about sprayers. Live and learn.

Hoskee
hoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #2

It it might have a check valve in the pickup. The ball bearing can get stuck especially with inadequate cleaning. See if the check valve works and then try and prime it by pouring paint thinner down the tube and then put it in a bucket of thinner and see if it works.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #3

The inlet valve is working now but it still doesn't suck in any paint thinner. When I removed the diaphragm unit (diaphragm, spring, rod etc.) I was not able to move it at all. It's in the up position (bowed out). Should the diaphragm move when you push on it or is the spring so strong that it can't be tested this way? It seems to me that being bowed up would prevent it from being moved up and down by the piston.

Last edited by hoskee; 07-25-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: alignment of diagram
Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Your primer/spray knob also has a spring in it, seals, and other parts that may be worn, its happened to me and I had to replace the primer/spray knob and the parts that go along with it, as mentioned there should also be a ball above the pickup tube that may be stuck too, some sprayers have a knob to push in to keep that valve/ball clean and free of debris, take the pickup tube off and dump thinner, or water down into it, then try to prime holding your hand/rag over the opening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Drywall and Painting Pro

Take a hammer and hit it on the metal part above the intake tube.
Hopefully this will dislodge the ball.

Checkout some of

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #6

I finally got it to suck thinner and then water. The pressure is not very high though. Now I think the paint pump is leaking into the hydraulic pump because the hydraulic fluid smelled like thinner and turned white. It also didn't bleed (air out of the hydraulic oil) properly so that is probably why the pressure is low.