Airless Sprayer Advice For Doors/trim - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

airless sprayer advice for doors/trim

I have 17 new Jeld-wen molded wood fiber doors (2 raised panels) to paint (pre-primed) and about 1000' of base trim and window door casing to prime and paint. I am going to use SW Pro-classic waterborne acrylic latex paint. Airless rental is $60/day or I could purchase a Graco "tradeworks" 150 from SW for $299.00 or a Wagner "twinstroke 9140s" for $229.00 (both are 1/2 hp and spray @ 300 gpm use .015 max tip) or a Wagner 9150 for $299.00 (5/8 HP .29GPM .017 max tip 300 PSI) any thoughts on which unit is better or another unit? I may have some future small painting needs, hence my thought on the purchase of a unit vs rental. Any other sugestions welcome. Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by ffgreg; 02-26-2009 at 05:11 PM.
ffgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

airless are not very good for small projects. But excellent for your immediate needs. I would go with the Graco unit. Last choice would be Wagner. To do the doors, screw an angle bracket to the tops of the door and connect two together. This way you can paint both sides at the same time and they stay in place to dry. Spraying oil will give a much better job. Add penetrol. If you still want the latex add Floetrol

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #3

thanks Bob. I think I am going to stay with the latex, (manufactorer recommends it) I just don't have the time to brush/roll all of this. Just want to make sure I am buying a decent enough airless for my project and maybe a tool I can keep for future projects or sell it when I am done with it? I can't see spending $800.00+ on a airless, I have got bids to spray these doors for $50/door might as well pay someone if I am buying a unit for that price.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I own Titans and Graco's but the one you are talking about for 299. sounds messed. A starter Graco would cost about 800. I would rent one for 60. and make sure you get one that has at least 2000psi. Don't buy a HO version.
waynech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #5

sorry, that should be 3000 psi. Sherwin Williams sells that graco model under the line "tradeworks" . Are the "homeowner" models really that bad? I see alot of posts from people that say stay away from HD and other big box stores and buy a $800-$1000 airless from a paint supplier. If someone is just painting a small-medium sized project would one of these lower priced units work adequetly? I am all for you get what you pay for, and I respect fully an experts opinion, I am just not going to be spraying an entire house or 100's of gallons of paint. just looking for a unit that will offer a good finish with latex.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

All of my guns are over 3000 psi, I just didn' think you needed that where as I use mine about 4 times a week. I have never had much luck using knock-offs or homeowner versions. My brother bought a power washer at HD and thought it would be great. It lasted less than a year. I agree you get what you pay for.
waynech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #7

spoke with a Sherwin Williams worker today and he told me they sold the Wagner 9150 last year for $500.00 and that Titan, Wagner, and I think he said Spraytech are all the same company. He did suggest the purchase of the graco tradeworks 150 (made for SW) so here is my dilema Wagner or Graco? Here are each of the specs:

http://tradeworkssprayers.com/tw/tra...TRADEWORKS+150

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...43200,747.html
Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Kellster

Rewards Points: 77

Do you happen to own a compressor??????????

For small jobs like painting a few doors I would attach a Gravity Feed HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun to a compressor. I bought a Husky HVLP at Home Depot for $79 and I have used it about 30- 40 times.The finish is fantastic and it's an easy set up and easy clean up.

If your looking for a good value airless sprayer for home projects, I would reccomend Gracco Magnum XR7. I bought this sprayer at home depot about 4 years ago and it is a work horse for the price.
Attached Thumbnails
airless sprayer advice for doors/trim-gracco-3.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by mjkpainting; 02-27-2009 at 01:47 PM.
mjkpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 502

.015 is the minimum tip size for ProClassic. It's fairly thick, tricky, stuff. If it were wall paint, I would go for it, but a low-end sprayer may struggle with ProClassic. Maybe the pros here that spray more often could give more advice, but if were my doors, I would go with the rental.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #10

I have a small pancake compressor. Are you spraying latex through that gun?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Kellster

Yes- it sprays latex very nicely

You may have to thin it out a little with water. Add just a little bit of water and stir it a little with a paint stirring stick you get at the paint store.

I painted a Mantle a few weeks ago and it honestly looked like a factory finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffgreg View Post
mjkpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #12

First, Thanks to all who have offered sugestions. SW states either airless can spray the pro-classic with a little thining with "floetrol". I am going to watch this thread through the weekend and make a decision on Monday. Keep the advice coming!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
retired guy

What is the difference between the Graco Magnum X5 and the Tradeworks 150?
igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffgreg View Post
if you are running a HVLP system off of a pancake compressor you will be recharging all day long. for a door or two it probably won't be too bad but doing big projects you will want at least a 30 gal. system from what i've read and gathered talking with a few pro's.

that said - everything i have read also raves about how awesome the HVLP systems are.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 532

Either of the sprayers you mentioned would be fine for your project and they will all spray the Proclassic, with a little floetrol mixed in. Out of the sprayers you mentioned I would go with the wagner 1950 it's a bigger pump, will support a longer hose than the graco, will support a bigger tip, comes with a contractor grade gun and is a piston pump, so its pumping on the up and down stroke saving Wear on your sprayer. As mentioned wagner, spraytech and titan are all the same company. A lot of the pumps you buy in HD are diagram and a piston pump will outlast a diaphragm pump. I know that most spraytechs come with a longer manufacture warranty than gracos, I've always had good luck with spraytech and have a few sprayers from smaller ones to real large ones, an HVLP will take to long on that amount of doors and with the airless you will be fine and still be able to produce a nice finish. Proclassic is thick and you should really use a tip with a .017 orfice which the wagner 1950 will support.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote