Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Airless Sprayer

Getting ready to paint the exterior of our house in a couple weeks. A friend offered the use of an airless sprayer (will use for under eves primarily, and maybe 1st coat on stucco ). I haven't seen it yet, so not sure if I'll use it. The alternative is to buy a Graco at Lowes, or rent one from S-W. I didn't know S-W even had them, till I was in there this morning getting some paint samples, and the salesman told me they rent them. If I get the one at Lowes, I will probably get the Magnum LTS15. I have heard bad things about the XR series, are these much better? This is probably the only time I'll ever use it, so I don't want to spend a lot. I'm not real hip on renting one, as I've rented a lot of junk in the past, but figure a paint store should have decent equipment.

Malibujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Airless Sprayer

Rent a professional unit instead of buying or borrowing a homeowner's unit. Get the right tip for the paint!

Go to where professional painters shop and they should be able to get you set up. (hint: it's not Home Crapo or Lowes)

I'd also caution your that airless spraying takes skill and experience to get a consistent paint film that meet the paint manufacturers thickness specs. Most newbies spray a very inconsistent pattern that might look good but will look like crap in a couple years.

For under the eaves you'll probably be OK but for outer walls I'd highly recommend you spray and then backbrush or backroll. It'll get a newbie a much better finish and still save time.

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Airless Sprayer

Thanks, Hennyh. I was planning to roll a 2nd coat.
Malibujim is offline   Reply With Quote