Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Airless sprayer

I am planning on painting everything in a new construction home (5000 sqft). I am looking for the best option for an airless sprayer without paying thousands of dollars. Any recommendations?

rmayet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 42

Airless sprayer

For what it sounds like you want I think the graco LTS 15 or 17 that the box stores are carrying would work well for you. There is another thread going right now here titled 6 doors to paint that might help you in spraying.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #3

Airless sprayer

Thanks for the input. Can someone walk me through the process of painting a new construction home? All walls and ceilings are Sheetrock with crown moldings and baseboards.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Airless sprayer

Are the floors in yet, the cabinets, has it been primed, has the trim been painted? Usually new construction is easier because the house is empty such as no floors in yet no need to worry about anything getting on the carpet. As I said in the other thread a hand masker 3000 will be your friend.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 54

Airless sprayer

While an airless will be airless....it will not be oversprayless.

Cover all those floors with craft paper.

Tape anything you don't want paint on.

Wear a mask

Cover all exposed parts of your body with baby oil

Try to do all the primer at once. You don't want to be changing colors too often. It takes a good 30 min to clean an airless gun

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 30

Airless sprayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
While an airless will be airless....it will not be oversprayless.

Cover all those floors with craft paper.

Tape anything you don't want paint on.

Wear a mask

Cover all exposed parts of your body with baby oil

Try to do all the primer at once. You don't want to be changing colors too often. It takes a good 30 min to clean an airless gun
And turn off the furnace while spraying--or the airborne mist will be sucked into that nice new furnace.
ddawg16 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #7

Airless sprayer

That's why I ask if the floors are in yet. If not just sub floor no need to cover. Is the crown or base painted, if not just primed go ahead and spray it with the primer, pre primed is notorious for being bad. Same for door casing and windows. Remember new construction. If the floors are in and the trim painted, then yes they need masked.
Yes there will be overspray. A couple things to help minimize it buy a "whip" hose,it goes on the end of your hose and is a smaller diameter. The tip that came with your sprayer should work fine. Just remember it is designed to be sprayed at a distance of 1' from from the wall. If you get too close the atomized paint will virtually bounce off the wall and go into the air as overspray. If you get too far away the atomized paint won't reach the wall. This is why I alway recommend practice. New const. is a great place for this, there is not a lot you can hurt so hone your skills with the primer then you know what to expect with the paint.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

Airless sprayer

We actually won't start construction for another couple of weeks. I am trying to save money by doing as much as I can myself. Here is how I see this project going. Correct me if I'm wrong. Once the drywall and trimming are completed, I will putty and caulk all trimming. Once completed, spray all trimming. After trimming is completed, mask off baseboards, molding, and casing, then spray ceilings then walls. I know it sounds a lot easier than it will be I just want to make sure I have the sequence of events right. Should I do all of this before cabinets and built-ins are installed! Also, wouldn't it be easier to paint cabinets before installation?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #9

Airless sprayer

Forgot to mention, I am acid staining the floors before the drywall is hung. So all flooring under roof will be covered for protection.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
DIY staff

Airless sprayer

A sprayer is not magical---I would caulk and putty the trim---then spray the primer--sand lightly--the spray all trim,doors and cabinet work--

After that the brush and roller would come out---spraying the flat work will not give you the orange peal look to the walls and ceiling that most people like---

If you do want to spray the flat work--you need one person manning the gun and another right alongside back rolling ---

I'm not a full time painter---buy I have plenty of experience with sprayers---

If a painter checks in with better advice,please listen to the pro---Mike---
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #11

Airless sprayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmayet54 View Post
We actually won't start construction for another couple of weeks. I am trying to save money by doing as much as I can myself. Here is how I see this project going. Correct me if I'm wrong. Once the drywall and trimming are completed, I will putty and caulk all trimming. Once completed, spray all trimming. After trimming is completed, mask off baseboards, molding, and casing, then spray ceilings then walls. I know it sounds a lot easier than it will be I just want to make sure I have the sequence of events right. Should I do all of this before cabinets and built-ins are installed! Also, wouldn't it be easier to paint cabinets before installation?
Here's the way I would do it. After the trim is up putty and caulked then go in and mask the glass in the windows a spray your primer. If the trim came pre primed spray it too as pre primed is notorious for being bad. Then I would mask the ceiling around the edge and mask your trim. Then spray the walls 1st coat. When dry come back and do 2nd coat. At this point do your backroll to get the stipple effect. This is assuming you are doing smooth walls no texture. Then I would mask the walls will only take minutes with the hand masker with the 9' plastic after you go around the perimiter unfold the plastic and the walls trim and openings are masked. now spray the ceiling. And yes it is much easier to paint the cabinets before install. Then I would do the trim either with a brush or look at the other tread for tips on trim.
As Mike said the sprayer is not magical and there are places and times they are not practical. But really new construt. is where they excel.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
DIY staff

Airless sprayer

I love them for doors and trim--and priming---but not so much for flat work--

I haven't painted new construction in a long time--so the sprayers sit around growing old---
ToolSeeker (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #13

Airless sprayer

So you are recommending to brush the trim rather than spray? Won't the spray give me a better finish on the trim? Do you guys have recommendations for primer and paint? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #14

Airless sprayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmayet54 View Post
So you are recommending to brush the trim rather than spray? Won't the spray give me a better finish on the trim? Do you guys have recommendations for primer and paint? Thanks!
Yes to spray the trim will give a better finish. If you read the thread about the 11 doors you will see you need a couple specific things.
I think you are fortunate that you are painting usually the builder subs out the paint work so it is done with cheap, inferior, (in my opinion) contractor grade paint. If it was me I would go to my local SW or BM store and sit down with the people there and discuss colors and sheens and their different paint lines. I said SW or BM I should have said and go to both or any other paint store they should have people that this is their job. Get a feel for the people and the products. I would not go to a box store for this, the reason being you can't be sure of who is working the counter that day. They may have been in plumbing yesterday and are just filling in today. For the primer Zinzer 123 is my go to but any quality primer should work.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
DIY staff

Airless sprayer

Listen to tool seeker----spray the trims and finish work---that is ideal----

And visit your local paint store--set up an account if you can---tell the folks what you are planning---and listen to their advice----

BM and Sherwin Williams are the best in my area--but there are other good regional paint companies-