Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Share |
Question

Airless Paint Sprayers


All,

I am in the planning phase of finishing a 1900 square foot basement. Because of the amount of wall and ceiling area, I have decided to purchase an airless sprayer. I do not want to spend over $400 though because after this project is complete, I do not foresee using it again. I am leaning towards the Wagner 0525029 EZ Tilt Power Painter Pro; however, I have heard good and bad about this company.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

~HT4ME

HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Hi!, I actually just posted a topic on this, but I too wanted something relatively inexpensive. So far I've been happy with the Wagner ProCoat.



Hope this helps!

jettlash84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,744
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


There are literally dozens of threads on this very topic.........If you use the SEARCH function you will uncover oodles of useful info.

An example: What is the best paint Sprayer?
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
HT4Me (05-05-2013), user1007 (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Rent a high end sprayer if you are only going to use it for this one project. Otherwise buy something nice enough you can get your money out of it on Craig's List or eBay when you are done. Few are going to race to buy a used Wagner sprayer that sold new for under $300-400!

You might see what is out there on eBay and CL yourself? Buy it, use it, turn around and sell it.

Do not underestimate the time and material needed to mask everything off. Plan on chasing the spray with a roller anyhow.

If you are leaving the basement ceiling open, a sprayer makes some sense and might be the way to prime and paint it. If not and you are priming and painting drywall you may find a large roller just as fast. Color changes will be more easily accomplished with brush and roller also. And then there is whatever trim you pick which you will probably want to do with a brush.

Last edited by user1007; 05-05-2013 at 08:53 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Rent a high end sprayer if you are only going to use it for this one project. Otherwise buy something nice enough you can get your money out of it on Craig's List or eBay when you are done. Few are going to race to buy a used Wagner sprayer! Wagner is a consumer, not a pro brand.

Do not underestimate the time and material needed to mask everything off. Plan on chasing the spray with a roller anyhow.

If you are leaving the basement ceiling open, a sprayer makes some sense and might be the way to prime and paint it. If not and you are priming and painting drywall you may find a large roller just as fast. Color changes will be more easily accomplished with brush and roller also. And then there is whatever trim you pick which you will probably want to do with a brush.
Sdsester,

Thanks for the great information. I had not considered renting this tool as an option. Because I am only going to use it for this application, rental makes perfect sense. You indicated I should rent a high end sprayer. Do you have any suggestions? I am clueless as to whats available and what would work best for my project.

Thanks,

HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


You might check your local tool rental place or a paint store that rents sprayers to see what options are availed you.

I have actually not done that much spraying myself so let's hope one of the pros that does spraying on a regular basis will see your post and make recommendations. I have rented Graco equipment on occassion but that's what the store had.

I did just look on eBay and saw a factory refurbished Wagner with warranty like the one the prior poster liked for $80 including shipping. Price makes me nervous and most Wanger stuff looks like it is mostly total plastic fantastic. I still think you would be better renting better equipment but thought I would mention it. I guess for $80 you could unload the thing to Habitat and take the tax deduction when you were done if you could not sell it again.

Here is another current thread to look over.

best airless paint sprayer under $300
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,142
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


A small graco would be a good rental option. They seem to be pretty common rentals, they
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
A small graco would be a good rental option. They seem to be pretty common rentals, they
Jmayspaint,

Thanks. I have seen allot of posts that indicate Graco is a good brand. On one post, the author of a response suggested this one:

https://www.cjspray.com/products/rec...er-262800.html

What do you think? Will this handle the size (large) of my project? I like the price: $199.00. I am leaning towards rental if good equipment costs more than $300. I expect the total time to do the actual painting will be 2 days.

Thanks,

~HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You might check your local tool rental place or a paint store that rents sprayers to see what options are availed you.

I have actually not done that much spraying myself so let's hope one of the pros that does spraying on a regular basis will see your post and make recommendations. I have rented Graco equipment on occassion but that's what the store had.

I did just look on eBay and saw a factory refurbished Wagner with warranty like the one the prior poster liked for $80 including shipping. Price makes me nervous and most Wanger stuff looks like it is mostly total plastic fantastic. I still think you would be better renting better equipment but thought I would mention it. I guess for $80 you could unload the thing to Habitat and take the tax deduction when you were done if you could not sell it again.

Here is another current thread to look over.

best airless paint sprayer under $300
sdsester,

Thanks for doing the research and providing me a link for that discussion. There really are allot of options: buy new, buy refurbished, rent. Based on the information you provided, I am probably going to rent unless there is a good enough product out there for under $300.

~HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,142
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Quote:
Originally Posted by HT4Me

Jmayspaint,

Thanks. I have seen allot of posts that indicate Graco is a good brand. On one post, the author of a response suggested this one:

https://www.cjspray.com/products/rec...er-262800.html

What do you think? Will this handle the size (large) of my project? I like the price: $199.00. I am leaning towards rental if good equipment costs more than $300. I expect the total time to do the actual painting will be 2 days.

Thanks,

~HT4ME
I couldn't get to the link, but I use a graco 395. I think it's about the smallest pump that would meet my needs. If you are going to be back rolling its not as big of an issue, but you do need a decent amount of pressure to spray drywall evenly.
A 295 would probably be sufficient for your project.
Titan is similar to graco, also good. The 295 Titan at lowes is pretty cheap.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
HT4Me (05-05-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,580
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


HT,
if you do use an airless sprayer, you need to have somebody follow you around with a wet roller to backroll the walls and ceilings if the ceilings are smooth. This will leave you with an even texture on the surface. If you don't, the areas of the drywall that aren't taped will come out feeling rough compared to the areas that have joint compound on them. Much like grain being raised on wood. It does go quick. When I built a 3500 s.f. ranch for a buddy of mine years ago, we primed all the drywall by spraying in about 5 hours. This is with some high ceilings involved also. Went through over 55 gallons of paint.
When I finish off basement now, I don't use my sprayer. I am normally by myself at the painting stage and find that in a few hours, I can roll a coat on and have less cleanup.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
HT,
if you do use an airless sprayer, you need to have somebody follow you around with a wet roller to backroll the walls and ceilings if the ceilings are smooth. This will leave you with an even texture on the surface. If you don't, the areas of the drywall that aren't taped will come out feeling rough compared to the areas that have joint compound on them. Much like grain being raised on wood. It does go quick. When I built a 3500 s.f. ranch for a buddy of mine years ago, we primed all the drywall by spraying in about 5 hours. This is with some high ceilings involved also. Went through over 55 gallons of paint.
When I finish off basement now, I don't use my sprayer. I am normally by myself at the painting stage and find that in a few hours, I can roll a coat on and have less cleanup.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks for the tip Mike. I had picked up this fact from other DIY Chatrooms as well. My plan is to have my wife follow me around as I paint to ensure the walls and ceilings are smooth with no inconsistencies. It may be the other way around with me holding the roller as she may want to play with our new toy!

~HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,580
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Ht,
one other thing: When you use the sprayer, get yourself a few throwaway tyvek suits, thin hoods for your head, and safety glasses. Watch where you point the nozzle. The paint can come out of there at around 3000 psi, which will inject itself right under your skin and wreak a lot of havoc. Not too many hospitals geared for treating this type of injury. As with anything, respect the tools and the process and you should be fine. Different tips will spray different thicknesses of paint along with altering the width of the path. Talk to the place where you are renting from for proper instruction (hopefully). When you're are done, take a bucket of soapy water to rinse the hoses and gun out with. Don't forget to clean the outside of everything too. Scotchbrite pad and soapy water work well. There is an easy way to reclaim the paint that is trapped in the hose also. When you are done painting, take the dip tube out of the paint bucket and put it in a bucket of clean water. Take the tip off the nozzle so when you pull the trigger you will get a squirt gun type stream without the accompanying pressure. Shoot the stream back into the paint bucket and stop as soon as you see the paint stream change to water. Then mix some liquid dishwashing soap into the water bucket and spray a few gallons through the gun to clean the hoses and internals out. Do it outside of course.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Airless Paint Sprayers


Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Ht,
one other thing: When you use the sprayer, get yourself a few throwaway tyvek suits, thin hoods for your head, and safety glasses. Watch where you point the nozzle. The paint can come out of there at around 3000 psi, which will inject itself right under your skin and wreak a lot of havoc. Not too many hospitals geared for treating this type of injury. As with anything, respect the tools and the process and you should be fine. Different tips will spray different thicknesses of paint along with altering the width of the path. Talk to the place where you are renting from for proper instruction (hopefully). When you're are done, take a bucket of soapy water to rinse the hoses and gun out with. Don't forget to clean the outside of everything too. Scotchbrite pad and soapy water work well. There is an easy way to reclaim the paint that is trapped in the hose also. When you are done painting, take the dip tube out of the paint bucket and put it in a bucket of clean water. Take the tip off the nozzle so when you pull the trigger you will get a squirt gun type stream without the accompanying pressure. Shoot the stream back into the paint bucket and stop as soon as you see the paint stream change to water. Then mix some liquid dishwashing soap into the water bucket and spray a few gallons through the gun to clean the hoses and internals out. Do it outside of course.
Mike Hawkins
Mike,

I have made a decision: you need to come over and help! Thanks for the information again. You appear to have a great deal of knowledge in this arena. I appreciate your expertise.

~HT4ME

HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HT4Me For This Useful Post:
firehawkmph (05-07-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceiling paint versus wall paint billyg Painting 6 02-09-2012 07:38 PM
Removing Airless Sprayer Paint Runs Twister Painting 8 10-08-2011 08:04 AM
Painting Old House Smokin Gun Painting 36 07-05-2011 01:24 AM
Airless paint sprayer or compressed air spray paint gun bikerway Painting 4 07-04-2011 08:20 PM
Paint riddle... Please help me fix this? techprincesse Painting 8 08-24-2009 10:00 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.