DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Airless Paint Sprayer (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/airless-paint-sprayer-158697/)

cpcannon 10-02-2012 11:55 AM

Airless Paint Sprayer
 
I am ready to invest up to about $400-500 in an airless sprayer. Graco seems to be the one I'm leaning towards. Is this the good choice or is there another brand for a similiar quality and price?

joecaption 10-02-2012 02:38 PM

I use a Graco XR 7 that works fine.
What do you plan on doing with it?

cpcannon 10-02-2012 03:35 PM

I will use it to paint inside and out of the entire house. Plus, I wanted to know how well it works on stains and varnish?

Nailbags 10-02-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpcannon (Post 1022024)
I am ready to invest up to about $400-500 in an airless sprayer. Graco seems to be the one I'm leaning towards. Is this the good choice or is there another brand for a similiar quality and price?

Graco is the best.

cpcannon 10-02-2012 03:52 PM

Thank you. I am looking at the LS 17, I believe. Has a little more power than the 15 and its mobile also

Brushjockey 10-02-2012 03:55 PM

You know what you are doing with a sprayer , right?
What looks like an easy way is an easy way to ruin your house if you don't.

ponch37300 10-02-2012 04:04 PM

I bought a titan a few years back to use for spraying a basement that was jsut finished. It worked great for that. I had planned on using it for other things also like repainting rooms. The problem is that in finished rooms with floors and windows it takes longer to tape everything off than it would to use a brush and roller and the clean up is ten times longer with an airless. So my airless pretty much sits around unless a friend has a basement or garage they just hung drywall in and I can come in and just spray away. When I paint finished rooms I just use a brush and roller, quicker, easier, less mess. If I had it to do over I probably wouldn't buy an airless unless I was building a brand new house and could spray it all before the floor went in.

cpcannon 10-02-2012 05:40 PM

Thank you very much Ponch37300. I've used them previously. I used an older wagner this weekend and it was too old and spattered on my cabinet faces. I am painting a our house that we are preping to sell. I am only painting the kitchen cabinets and the full exterior of the house. I will be masking like crazy in the kitchen. They are 1978 brown and worn out cabinets. Just painting white to bring out the new appliances and then new countertops. I have been priming them by hand, but they are so old and in bad shape, but the paint makes it look much better.

Any other advice on the sprayer before start?

ponch37300 10-02-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpcannon (Post 1022291)
Thank you very much Ponch37300. I've used them previously. I used an older wagner this weekend and it was too old and spattered on my cabinet faces. I am painting a our house that we are preping to sell. I am only painting the kitchen cabinets and the full exterior of the house. I will be masking like crazy in the kitchen. They are 1978 brown and worn out cabinets. Just painting white to bring out the new appliances and then new countertops. I have been priming them by hand, but they are so old and in bad shape, but the paint makes it look much better.

Any other advice on the sprayer before start?

If you are doing kitchen cabinets I would go HVLP. I have this HVLP conversion gun, http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html. I used it to spray all my kitchen cabinets. Less overspray and easier to use and clean than an airless. Still have to tape off but will be less mess.

bbqislands 10-03-2012 12:53 AM

Airless sprayer
 
I think Graco XR 7 is the best thing you want. But LS 17 is an another sprayer which is also portable.

Want to know about BBQ Islands: Best Quality Barbecue Grill Island

ToolSeeker 10-03-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponch37300 (Post 1022537)
If you are doing kitchen cabinets I would go HVLP. I have this HVLP conversion gun, http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html. I used it to spray all my kitchen cabinets. Less overspray and easier to use and clean than an airless. Still have to tape off but will be less mess.

Where the heck was you 6 months ago when I bought my graco 3900 hvlp, think paint zoom from tv. I got it for small jobs like a single door or small amount of trim. It is a total pia to use by the time you thin the paint. I never heard of these guns. It says you don't have to thin latex. I will order today Thanks.

ponch37300 10-03-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1022696)
Where the heck was you 6 months ago when I bought my graco 3900 hvlp, think paint zoom from tv. I got it for small jobs like a single door or small amount of trim. It is a total pia to use by the time you thin the paint. I never heard of these guns. It says you don't have to thin latex. I will order today Thanks.

I have sprayed mostly oil base with it but have sprayed some latex and didn't thin it. But most of the time if I spray latex I will throw a splash of water in just to thin it a bit, while the gun will shoot straight latex I figured a little thinning couldn't hurt and would make it easier on the gun. I did use floetrol and penetrol accordingly with the latex and oil base paints. I really like them, they extend the drying time and the paint flows out really smooth. But if the latex is to thick and not spraying good you can add a little water to thin it out.

I like the gun and it was fairly easy to get the hang of. You have to have a decent air compressor, I have this one http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051 and it ran pretty much non stop but got the job done. It worked but a bigger compressor would have been ideal. But I would think a smaller compressor would work but you would have to take little breaks to give the compressor time to catch up. Also need to have dry air, I put a good filter/water seperator in line. The air also needs to be regulated way down, I think for most of what I did it was around 30 PSI with the trigger squeezed.

I went to the local habitat restore in town and bought a bunch of cabinet doors for a dollar a piece to practice on. If you have one in town it is a good place to get cheap items to practice on. It takes a little to get used to adjusting the gun. Also make sure you strain your paint threw a filter when you pour it into the gun's can, I bought a pack of 100 at harbor freight for pretty cheap. It took me about an hour to play around with different settings in order to get the paint spraying the way I wanted it.

The gun is fairly easy to clean. For latex I just empty the can and fill with water and spray into a bucket until it comes out clean. Then take the gun apart and use a spray gun cleaning brush kit I bought online to clean the gun good.

I like the gun and use it mostly on trim and doors when needed. Meanwhile my airless has spent the last few years sitting in the corner of the basement collecting dust. I've used it a handful of times and it works great on brand new drywall like finished basements or if I ever build a new house but for most things it's just a pain.

cpcannon 10-03-2012 03:55 PM

Thank you very much. That's all great info to know.

ToolSeeker 10-04-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponch37300 (Post 1022757)
I have sprayed mostly oil base with it but have sprayed some latex and didn't thin it. But most of the time if I spray latex I will throw a splash of water in just to thin it a bit, while the gun will shoot straight latex I figured a little thinning couldn't hurt and would make it easier on the gun. I did use floetrol and penetrol accordingly with the latex and oil base paints. I really like them, they extend the drying time and the paint flows out really smooth. But if the latex is to thick and not spraying good you can add a little water to thin it out.

I like the gun and it was fairly easy to get the hang of. You have to have a decent air compressor, I have this one http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051 and it ran pretty much non stop but got the job done. It worked but a bigger compressor would have been ideal. But I would think a smaller compressor would work but you would have to take little breaks to give the compressor time to catch up. Also need to have dry air, I put a good filter/water seperator in line. The air also needs to be regulated way down, I think for most of what I did it was around 30 PSI with the trigger squeezed.

I went to the local habitat restore in town and bought a bunch of cabinet doors for a dollar a piece to practice on. If you have one in town it is a good place to get cheap items to practice on. It takes a little to get used to adjusting the gun. Also make sure you strain your paint threw a filter when you pour it into the gun's can, I bought a pack of 100 at harbor freight for pretty cheap. It took me about an hour to play around with different settings in order to get the paint spraying the way I wanted it.

The gun is fairly easy to clean. For latex I just empty the can and fill with water and spray into a bucket until it comes out clean. Then take the gun apart and use a spray gun cleaning brush kit I bought online to clean the gun good.

I like the gun and use it mostly on trim and doors when needed. Meanwhile my airless has spent the last few years sitting in the corner of the basement collecting dust. I've used it a handful of times and it works great on brand new drywall like finished basements or if I ever build a new house but for most things it's just a pain.

Thanks a lot ponch I don't mind adding a little water, but with the one I have you have a viscosity cup and you have to time how long it takes the paint to run thru this cup. Then keep thinning until it's in limits, usually adding more water than you really want to.

ponch37300 10-04-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1023607)
Thanks a lot ponch I don't mind adding a little water, but with the one I have you have a viscosity cup and you have to time how long it takes the paint to run thru this cup. Then keep thinning until it's in limits, usually adding more water than you really want to.

I bought a "din" cup for this gun also but didn't use it. I played around on a bunch of scrap wood and cabinet doors I got from the habitat restore for really cheap. I played with paint mixtures, air pressure, and other things until I got it right and just repeated the steps. Once you do it a couple of times and get to see how each change affects the paint you will get the hang of it and be able to mix up paint and setup the gun. I did buy a mixing cup with measurements on the side and once I figured out the right ratio it was easy to mix up more paint with floetrol/penetrol and thin it as needed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved