Airless Finish Window Trim - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

airless finish window trim

I have a gracco mag.xr7 with finish tip with latex paint. I have interior window trim to do,but walls have been painted already. how do I do this the correct way. the rookie. slojo ??

Advertisement

slojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

It will be a lot quicker and easier in your situation to brush the trim. If you use an airless to spray the trim in a furnished home that the ceiling and walls are already painted in you will have paint from the airless all over. An airless puts paint out very high pressure dispersing a lot at one time causing a lot of fine particles of paint in the air, then the particles drift. Even with a fine finish tip you are only making the fan smaller, but you'll still have high output of paint. You would have to remove everything from the room, cover the floor with paper and tape, tape and paper any fixtures. Mask off the ceiling, mask off the walls, and doorways to other rooms. By the time you do your prep work, set up the sprayer, and clean up you could have painted the trim by hand with no worries of over spray. If you want to spray trim in your situation you need a HVLP sprayer that puts the paint out at very low pressure with a lot less particles in the air, then there would be very minimal masking or you could use a air assisted sprayer.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

yea, housepaintinguy is rite. I would not recommend spraying the trim at this point.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Sprayboy-services.com

Get a good quality brush and brush it. I won't even spray exterior trim unless it's a prime coat sprayed with the rest of the house. I always brush.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
NAV

Sprayboy - how can you post that you dont spray trim and have a username of Sprayboy? Please change your user name if you are going to make statements like that

the reasons this guy should not attempt to spray inside his house are:
1) he obviously doesn't know what he is doing
2) his walls are finish painted and he does not want to repaint - I doubt he is skilled enough to mask the walls and floors
3) after all that masking you could have brushed the interior trim 3x

personally I would never use a brush if that was an option - you have to weigh the time of spraying vs brushing to determine what is more productive. If you are new to spraying - spraying is only more productive on large areas.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Sprayboy-services.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
Sprayboy - how can you post that you dont spray trim and have a username of Sprayboy? Please change your user name if you are going to make statements like that

the reasons this guy should not attempt to spray inside his house are:
1) he obviously doesn't know what he is doing
2) his walls are finish painted and he does not want to repaint - I doubt he is skilled enough to mask the walls and floors
3) after all that masking you could have brushed the interior trim 3x

personally I would never use a brush if that was an option - you have to weigh the time of spraying vs brushing to determine what is more productive. If you are new to spraying - spraying is only more productive on large areas.
Point taken. The problem is all the masking involved just to use a sprayer on small items. Even spraying large areas you still have to brush-back occasionally. "Sprayboy" refers to the fact that I service and resell airless paint sprayers not that I pop in a .025 tip and "go to town"
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Buy a nice, 2-1/2" angled sash brush for $15-20 retail (Purdy, Wooster, etc.), quality paint, and you will be surprised how fast the trim goes. It will last you quite awhile if you take care of it. Get bristles appropriate to the type of paint you are using. If latex semi-gloss, add some Floetrol, and you will be surprised at how it goes on and how you will have to search for a brush mark when it dries.

I don't like using tape but if you feel more comfortable doing so buy good, name brand painter's tape. I did find and use these pre-cut 3M tape corners I use now on windows.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote