Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

Air paint sprayer?? Lowes??

Hello all, I'm sure this may be a dumb question but I have a remodeled home, fresh drywall and it has been primed. I have the air compressor can I buy the paint sprayer that attaches to the air compressor, portacable w/air regulator. Let me know what you think? Thanks

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipraynor View Post
Hello all, I'm sure this may be a dumb question but I have a remodeled home, fresh drywall and it has been primed. I have the air compressor can I buy the paint sprayer that attaches to the air compressor, portacable w/air regulator. Let me know what you think? Thanks
Hey Chip,

The drywall is primed and you're looking to spray the finish? I assume you're considering a latex finish? It can be kinda difficult, and slow, and messy to spray latex via conventional sprayer. The amount of PSI necessary to atomize latex creates an awful lot of fogging and overspray - and if you use an HVLP gun w/regulator (which lowers your PSI from about 30 to 10 lbs, without significantly lowering your CFM), you'll lessen the overspray but also slow down production. Personally, I think it'd actually be faster, and with less clean-up, to brush and roll rather than spray by conventional spray.

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-22-2011), ltd (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Ric gave a proper answer. What I will say is totally practical. if you dont know how to spray- don't.
And almost all pros actually have found brush and roll the fastest, easiest, and most practical way to paint a wall in all but completely empty new construction. And even then they will backroll.
Gymschu (12-22-2011), ltd (12-21-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
jschaben

Let's back up a little more. Portable air compressor. Can it even provide enough CFM to spray anything?

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

I think we once again need a refresher on the merits/demerits of spraying paint. God Bless you, Chip for wanting to find a quick and easy way to paint your walls, however; with the time involved to mask off windows, etc., set up the equipment, learn the nuances of using the equipment, cleaning the equipment when done, well, you could've had the job done by brush and roller. It really does not take that long to brush and roll, especially if you have a bit of help. A 2500 sq. ft. home could be done in a weekend with some help. In the old days when I (and a crew of 2 or 3) was young and spry, we would prime on one day, sand and remove dust the next day, apply a coat, let it dry, come back with a light sanding, clean, and apply finish........3 days.......and, if we had to, we could really do it in a day......all with brush and roller. No matter which process you choose, your arms are gonna get tired!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #6

Thanks to all...
Yes I was looking for the quick way. House is 36 x 34 and 4 floors, 9 ft ceilings. I do love the loom of sprayed and rolled finishes. Just looking for a quicker way. But I will be rolling and brushing this myself. Thanks again!!

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote