Again With Wood Staining Problems (see Pics) - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Again with wood staining problems (see pics)

The pictures probably explain it best.

After staining the whole project, I had streaks, strips, grain patterns, and random spots that took very little or no stain at all.

I tried to sand down those areas (despite gumming up a lot of sandpaper) and applying stain just to the areas that needed it.

That didn't work. For the most part, the areas only took a little stain, and the result was blotches.

So I decided to clean the wood off and try again.
I poured mineral spirits over one of the work pieces and spread it with a cotton applicator. I let it set for 10 minutes and then wiped it off with cotton cloths.
Then I repeated the process.

A lot of the stain came off, but it was obvious that not much more was going to come off if I did it a third time.

So that's how far I am now.

From the pics, the piece in front is the one I tried to strip clean with mineral spirits. The piece in the back is another piece that I only applied the first coat of stain to. On both, I've highlighted the spots that are the trouble.
I assume some of it is glue residue that didn't get sanded off.

Can somebody tell me, based on the above info and the pictures, what do I need to do from here to get all the pieces as dark as the back piece in the pic, but without the blemishes and unstained spots.

Please be specific. I generally follow directions to the letter, but I must be missing something, and I don't want to keep staining and removing stain. I'm sure the wood won't take a lot more mineral spirits, sanding, and stain too (especially the plywood parts).

On a second note, is all this mineral spirits dousing going to make this thing highly combustible later? It's a crib for my daughter and I want it to be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Again with wood staining problems (see pics)-img_0540.jpg   Again with wood staining problems (see pics)-img_0541.jpg  

Advertisement

wengang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

before staining you should apply wood conditioner within 40 minutes of applying stain. it will even out how the wood takes the stain to reduce blotchiness

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

but what should I do about gettting the rest of the existing stain off the wood?
I don't want to keep sanding until I tear through the veneer of the plywood.

I saw some deck stripper at Lowes that looks like if you pour it on wood, it will remove the stain altogether, but I didn't buy it because it doesn't even suggest using it on indoor wood.

Other furniture stripping products say varnish, lacquer, paint, etc., but don't mention stain at all.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

its too late now.. the stains in there.. the real wood can be sanded but your gonna have to remove quite a bit of material. plywood only has maybe a 1/8 veneer before the core
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

so my question is, from where I am right now, what is the best course of action?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,194

This is a crib. You should carefully consider whether you really want to put your daughter in a crib that is stained with (almost certainly) toxic chemicals. Some children gnaw on wood, so you may want to consider building the crib using non-toxic material, or at least stains or varnishes which are specifically designed for use in a crib. Some kitchen counters are made of wood (a little rare, but done sometimes). There are specific oils that can be used on food preparation surfaces, they may be applicable to a crib setting.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengang1 View Post
The pictures probably explain it best.

After staining the whole project, I had streaks, strips, grain patterns, and random spots that took very little or no stain at all.

I tried to sand down those areas (despite gumming up a lot of sandpaper) and applying stain just to the areas that needed it.

That didn't work. For the most part, the areas only took a little stain, and the result was blotches.

So I decided to clean the wood off and try again.
I poured mineral spirits over one of the work pieces and spread it with a cotton applicator. I let it set for 10 minutes and then wiped it off with cotton cloths.
Then I repeated the process.

A lot of the stain came off, but it was obvious that not much more was going to come off if I did it a third time.

So that's how far I am now.

From the pics, the piece in front is the one I tried to strip clean with mineral spirits. The piece in the back is another piece that I only applied the first coat of stain to. On both, I've highlighted the spots that are the trouble.
I assume some of it is glue residue that didn't get sanded off.

Can somebody tell me, based on the above info and the pictures, what do I need to do from here to get all the pieces as dark as the back piece in the pic, but without the blemishes and unstained spots.

Please be specific. I generally follow directions to the letter, but I must be missing something, and I don't want to keep staining and removing stain. I'm sure the wood won't take a lot more mineral spirits, sanding, and stain too (especially the plywood parts).

On a second note, is all this mineral spirits dousing going to make this thing highly combustible later? It's a crib for my daughter and I want it to be safe.
what you are getting is blotching. All wood has soft grain and hard grain and will not absorb stain evenley. I make jewelry box's and use this stuff from here. watch the video and you will see what i mean their will be other with their idea, but i use this product and it work's for me good luck the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfCYM...=InTheWorkshop
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 678

Did you use Polyshades instead of stain by chance?
That sure looks like white oak, if it I would not use Wood Conditioner as suggested. It's made to be used with soft woods.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote