Advice Needed For Filling Wood Cracks - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice needed for filling wood cracks

I would like to paint our 30 year old family room. The walls are all tongue and groove western cedar, very dark stain (chocolate like) with a clear shiny finish. A brick fireplace in the room is used extensively in the winter months, and there are numerous cracks from expansion and contraction on the wood walls from the heat. My question is what material will work best to fill the cracks considering the heat and expansion ? We will continue to use the fireplace in cold weather. Also, What primer would you recommend to cover the dark stain and hold tight to the wood ?

Thank you in advance.
Dave

Advertisement

dave95sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I think that's going to be hard to do. The wood will continue to move seasonally, and those gaps will need to open and close. I think if you want a smooth surface, you should hang 3/8" drywall over it, and paint that. It will also avoid the problem of getting paint to adhere to the shiny finish that's on the wood now.

Advertisement

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Depending on how big the cracks are, I'd consider (a paintable) caulk
I know it sounds odd, but if it was possible (depending on the lay of the wood) I'd consider it
I would not be able to provide a guaranty that the paint wouldn't crack though, I'd have to void the warranty on that job...it's just the nature of the substrate (what's there now)

I'd recommend Zinnser's Cover Stain for primer
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote