DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Advice needed for filling wood cracks

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  slickshift 
#1 ·
I would like to paint our 30 year old family room. The walls are all tongue and groove western cedar, very dark stain (chocolate like) with a clear shiny finish. A brick fireplace in the room is used extensively in the winter months, and there are numerous cracks from expansion and contraction on the wood walls from the heat. My question is what material will work best to fill the cracks considering the heat and expansion ? We will continue to use the fireplace in cold weather. Also, What primer would you recommend to cover the dark stain and hold tight to the wood ?

Thank you in advance.
Dave

#2 ·
I think that's going to be hard to do. The wood will continue to move seasonally, and those gaps will need to open and close. I think if you want a smooth surface, you should hang 3/8" drywall over it, and paint that. It will also avoid the problem of getting paint to adhere to the shiny finish that's on the wood now.

#3 ·
Depending on how big the cracks are, I'd consider (a paintable) caulk
I know it sounds odd, but if it was possible (depending on the lay of the wood) I'd consider it
I would not be able to provide a guaranty that the paint wouldn't crack though, I'd have to void the warranty on that job...it's just the nature of the substrate (what's there now)

I'd recommend Zinnser's Cover Stain for primer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.