Advice Needed For Exterior Trim Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice needed for Exterior Trim painting

Hello all,

I am in the process of repainting my house and I am changing the colors. The body coat is going on fine, but I'm having some problems with the trim paint. I am using a dark green color with a hint of blue called 'Plankton' (Kwal) and its coming out much lighter then it should be. They told me when I bought the paint that I green does not cover well and sugested a grey primer but that doesn't seem to help much (trim is getting sprayed the body color for an extra coat). I'm just doing a small test area now and it seems that after 3-4 coats it looks right but there are still some light spots.

My question is, would going to a dark grey primer help or is it just going to take a lot of coats to get this color right? I'd rather not put it on heavy coats, but the prospect of doing 4-5 coats on all the trim seems like a lot of work.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Greg

Advertisement

fordman289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

What kind of paint are you using??
A deeper color primer would always help if you are changing white trim to a darker color but in reality should be uneccessary.

Advertisement

BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Kwal exterior latex, Satin finish. Trim is currently light blue. I go some primer with a quarter mix of the trim color but that's not helping any. May contact the store and see if they can just raise it to the full formula.
fordman289 is offline   Reply With Quote