Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

acrylic over oil problems

The funny thing is that I am still surprised to be surprised by the dumb things I can do…

The situation: a kitchen wall with a window over a counter with a sink and cooktop. Less than 50 sf of surface. The wall was painted with an off-white, satin finish, oil-based paint ten years ago and the paint film was in perfect condition. The client (my elderly Ma) wanted the wall to be a cheerful leaf green color and because she has respiratory issues, needs to use the kitchen asap and could not vacate, I decided to repaint with an acrylic (a semi-gloss enamel made by Benjamin Moore) using lots of exhaust ventilation.)

I washed the wall with a 50/50 water/ammonia solution and sanded it with 150 grit on a drywall pole sander. Then I washed it again with a product called Liquid Sandpaper and let it dry/evaporate for an hour. Pretty thorough, thinks me, but then comes the brain cramp.

Instead of a primer I go straight at it with an acrylic eggshell. What was I thinking? Well, the wall will need at least two coats to go from white to middling green, so the first coat doesn’t need to have the final, semi-gloss, so let me just use this paint I already have that matches the final color almost exactly. Now of course this first treatment scratches off with a fingernail after 100 hours of curing. What to do?

Do I need to sand/scrape off all the green paint? Or will a coat of BIN Primer “sandwich” this layer firmly to the wall?

gulleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulleyj

Do I need to sand/scrape off all the green paint? Or will a coat of BIN Primer “sandwich” this layer firmly to the wall?

Once there is a non bonded coat on a surface nothing will 'fix' it except removal of that coat.

Oil priming and top coating again may improve the problem some, but the film will still scratch off.

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,514

I really think the Liquid Sandpaper is causing your problem. NASTY STUFF!
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

100 hours? of course it is going to scratch of, so just don't do it till it fully cures, 3 weeks at least and you should be fine
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

With the prep you did you should be fine once it has completely cured.Would a bonding primer have been a better first coat?Of course but the sanding should take care of bonding issues once it is cured.