Ace Brand Paint? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ace brand paint?

I just bought a condo, and for the past few days I've been researching paint choices and whether to just hire someone to do it or to do it myself. I'm a bit more confident in doing it myself/with a few friends, so now I just have to figure out what paint to get.

The other day I went to an Ace Hardware and a Home Depot and compared paint prices. (Ben Moore seems to be not that much more expensive around here than Behr, btw, at least for semigloss. ) In general, prices per gallon seem to be fairly close together, at least at those two stores. I'll go to the dedicated paint stores at some point and check those out, too.

I guess my real question is: how is Ace brand paint? It seems cheaper than Behr (!), but I couldn't find much about it on here. Should I just get BM (or Sherwin-Williams/Dunn-Edwards/etc) and be done with it, or will I be fine with Ace paint?

Advertisement

tmiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Ace brand paint?

I use Ace sensations and the Royal at work. Started using it at home as well. I use to use pratt and lambert, only really changed for convience. We sometimes use sw at work as well. I will not use paint from the box store, I don't care if they are giving it away. Everyone will have their two cents concerning paint choice.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Ace brand paint?

I'd buy BM, SW, Pratt or regional paints sold at real paint stores.

Dunn Edwards is one of those regional paints that has a wondeful reputation.

I would not buy any paint at K-Mart, Lowes, Home Crapo or even Ace. Why take chances. When it comes to paint, you get what you pay for and the best performing paints often represent the best overall value. (when factoring in labor savings, material savings, long lasting, etc)
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Ace brand paint?

Ace brand goes on nicely, but the main issue with Ace Royal is that it burnishes badly, if you use satin and rub or wash the wall, it will get shinier in that spot
paintpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

Ace brand paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post

I would not buy any paint at K-Mart, Lowes, Home Crapo or even Ace.

Agree on the first three, but my local Ace happens to be my Ben Moore supplier. Don't know if that's the case anywhere else, might be just a small town scenario. The only Ace branded paint I've ever tried was ceiling paint and I had no problems with it. Can't speak for the wall paints and probably never will as long as they keep Regal in stock for me.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Ace brand paint?

Ace probably has one of the best box store brand paints out there. It still isn't the greatest thing ever but it isn't bad.

Advertisement

poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote