Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #1

Share |

Accidentally Primed with Paint?

Proviso: I am a long term renter (quarter century) I do not own my apartment but will likley live the rest of my life here and I take great pleasure in having a nice place.

Bedroom walls were Skim coated recently by the owner with a mixture of joint compound and plaster. Sanded very smooth, beautiful job. They had primed the ceiling but not the walls: I wanted to strip some molding and told him I would do the do the priming/painting myself.

I was brought half of a five gallon bucket of Behr Primer by a worker so I could do the priming at my leisure.

When I primed the walls I went over the ceiling also. I was scratching my head a bit as the primer I was applying was flatter and less bright than the primer on the ceiling...it was a little off white. Walls got one coat of 'primer', molding got Zinsser BIN 1-2-3.

I also put on two coats of Ben Moore Moresco ceiling paint in white.

I have not put a top coat on in the bedroom walls. However, part of the primer mystery is solved.

A couple weeks later, after skim coating my foyer, the workers got ready to prime. They had two partial buckets of Behr primer from another job in the building, and I went and got the gallon or so that was left over from the primer they left me for the bedroom. When we opened the three buckets, ALL the primers were different shades of white! WFT?

I could see the 'primer' I used on the bedroom was actually an off white paint! The boss came and smelled the three buckets and declared that only one was primer. The workers of course are Mexican and speak or read little English, and they had used empty 5 gallon Behr primer buckets to transfer other paint into...and without being able to read the labels or speak clearly, they mixed everything up.

So, I ended up priming my bedroom with a mystery off white paint, unknown brand. I'm a little pissed due to the labor I put into the bedroom, but does anyone anticipate this is going to be a problem?

Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #2

Accidentally Primed with Paint?

It should be ok. Primer does give you a more durable finish, but you should be ok in your situation. You will probably have to still do 2 coats of whatever paint you use especially over any patched areas.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote