8 Gal Of Sikkens Rubbol -came With The House - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

8 gal of Sikkens Rubbol -came with the house

Greetings all:

I just bought a house from an estate. Prior owner bought 8 gallons of Rubbol SIding Finish - was still in the boxes. I know almost nothing about exterior stain. Exterior trim and siding looks like it is a latex paint - it even is peeling in places like paint. Is it possible that a stained surface would look like a painted surface (at the end of life for the finish)? Link to the Rubbol page: http://www.perfectwoodstains.com/vie...ol-solid-stain Link to the data sheet: http://www.perfectwoodstains.com/doc...0.pdf?sfvrsn=2 On the data sheet for previously coated surfaces, it mentions priming bare wood spots (with Rubbol). Priming stain?

It is my understanding that paint over stain, but not stain over paint - correct? I was planning on clean, scrape, spot prime and topcoat with Super Paint. But my frugal side hates to not use 8 gallons of finish that I now have. I certainly do not intend to take the siding and soffits down to bare wood where the existing finish is sound. If I don't use the Sikkens material on this house, could I use it up on a much less demanding application, such as priming new drywall on a future project?

Advertisement

aribert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #2

anyone? Someone here has bound to have knowledge of exterior "stain".

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

There is no technical reason you couldn't use the Sikkens for your exterior project. It can go over properly prepared existing coatings. The data sheet recommended a TSP wash to ensure adhesion over existing.

It's not uncommon to spot prime bare areas after prep with the same stain as the top coat will be. Solid stain acts as its own primer in many instances. I think you could expect decent performance out of the Sikkens if applied as directed over a previously painted surface. I would not recommend using it indoors for any reason.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

jaymayspaint:

Thanks for responding. I read the Rubbol spec sheet, but I could not figure out if it was OK to use it over paint. It sounds like this product is for all intents exterior "paint". And I am OK with thak. I just did not want to prep and apply it and then have a mess on my hands in a year or two. Again, thanks for the reply.