Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #1

Share |

40 yr. old wood soffit & siding

I am a 68 yr old female and have been replacing termite chewed siding and now am painting, after scraping, wire brushing & sanding then power washing then had to scrape and wire brush AGAIN. After all this I am finally painting, since the remaining wood is all 40 yr. old (2013) and been previously painted only 2x's, last about 20 yrs ago. I decided to go with 3 coats of Behr w/primer. I know 2 coats would have maybe been fine, BUT it was really worn and since I couldn't afford new 2x12's I thought this was the best route. This being said, I DO NOT want to ever in my lifetime so this again, hopefully 3 coats will ensure that. I would like to know when you scrape do you just scrape the loose paint or do you have to take a sharpened putty knife and actually force the knife in to see if you can loosen the paint? I looked over the "Net" and found nothing about how to prep a house before painting. The one site said scrape to prep, and in the next scene he was painting. Not very informative. Thank You

jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You should only have to worry about scraping off the paint that is flaking and peeling. If it is adhering, leave it alone.

I hate to break the news but paint and primer do not come in the same can. You should get a real primer for at least what you scraped to bare wood and I would use a primer for your first coat over all since you are planning on three. Then use a quality paint store paint and not Behr unless you already bought it. Two coats and you should be good to go. Not sure with Behr.

I liked Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start exterior primer but others will chime in with other more reaonsable possibilities.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Moved to Painting forum.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

Since it is wood siding I think I would go with an oil primer, just for the penetration since it sounds like she has scraped down to the bare wood. As stated where the paint is adhered you do not have to scrap, but to look good take a sander and smooth the edge of the stuck paint. If you have already purchased the paint and primer you can still use it, but you still need a separate primer coat. Then just use it as paint, if you have not already bought it you may want to check out a Ben Moore or Sher. Wiills. store ask for discounts or look on here for coupons and the price will be comparable to B#$% and in my opinion you will get a much better product.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #5

Morning, About the paint with primer in it. I have used Behr for years and just recently they have this new paint interior & exterior paint w/primer already in it. I AM NOT a Dealer, however I did my whole house interior with it and was extremely pleased with the results. I have already purchased the paint exterior (tinted) I have a 5 gal bucket. But either way I would stay with Behr. I still have some scraping to do, I wish I had found your web site before I started this it would have went faster. Thanks for the information. Jeno
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Morning, About the paint with primer in it. I have used Behr for years and just recently they have this new paint interior & exterior paint w/primer already in it. I AM NOT a Dealer, however I did my whole house interior with it and was extremely pleased with the results. I have already purchased the paint exterior (tinted) I have a 5 gal bucket. But either way I would stay with Behr. I still have some scraping to do, I wish I had found your web site before I started this it would have went faster. Thanks for the information. Jeno

NO it is NOT. There is NO primer in the can, it is a misleading ad campaign. The paint just will stick to most substrates( as it always has) thus leading you to believe that it is a primer. Don't believe it. Read the can, it SHOULD say to use a real primer for bare wood surfaces, if not, then I can say no more. You should prime bare exterior wood with a slow drying oil primer, period...

There is NO primer and paint in the same can, never has been and never will be.....
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

Primer needs a certain percentage of various chemicals to be considered primer. Paint needs a certain percentage of completely different various chemicals to be considered paint. When you cut those percentages in half, you paint now sucks as a paint and your primer sucks as a primer.