Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

2nd coat: sheen change possible w/o need for 3rd

Quick question (probably a dumb one): I don't like really shiny trim so I went with BM Regal Select in Eggshell (I like SW's satin sheen for trim). I do not understand how that is their 3rd level of sheen in that line, because it has almost no sheen at all (Zin 123 has more sheen). Trim and doors definitely need a second coat, and I'm thinking for the next gallon I will just get the pearl sheen (next one up).

I know it's a dumb question because I'm sure I won't get perfect coverage for the second coat (just like I didn't for the first) and would be left with sheen bleed-thru (if there's such a term) and the desire to 3-coat it.

But you have to ask dumb questions once in awhile...

7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

BM and SW have same names for different things.
SW 's satin = BM's Matte
BM's Satin is actually the sweet spot for trim. A little under a Semi- more than an egg.
I thing Regal Select Egg is a fine wall paint, i wouldn't use it on trim. And all sheens are really a range, not an exact thing, and RS egg comes in at the lower end of that range ( which is why it's great for walls).

I just used SW Duration home satin today- I'm surprized you like that on trim. It also has very little sheen, like i said = BM matte.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 05-13-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

I'm confused

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

No surprise there CN!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62
Quick question (probably a dumb one): I don't like really shiny trim so I went with BM Regal Select in Eggshell (I like SW's satin sheen for trim). I do not understand how that is their 3rd level of sheen in that line, because it has almost no sheen at all (Zin 123 has more sheen). Trim and doors definitely need a second coat, and I'm thinking for the next gallon I will just get the pearl sheen (next one up).

I know it's a dumb question because I'm sure I won't get perfect coverage for the second coat (just like I didn't for the first) and would be left with sheen bleed-thru (if there's such a term) and the desire to 3-coat it.

But you have to ask dumb questions once in awhile...
If your having coverage problems, try putting the paint on thicker. Regal is great paint, should have no problem changing sheen in one coat. The thing is its hard to get a full "coat" of paint on in one application. Even a lot of pros I know have to do two applications to get the film thickness of one "coat" that is recommended by paint manufactures.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #6

It's all a preference. I just don't like super shiny trim.

I would have to disagree with you on the terminology, at least where BMRS is concerned. It comes in five sheens: flat, matte, eggshell, pearl (probably equal to their satin in other lines) and semi. Eggshell is farther up the sheen line than matte and has MUCH less sheen that SW ProClassic (or Duration for that matter) in Satin. So SW's satin definitely has more shine than BM's matte (at least where RS is concerned).

Regardless, I am wondering what my results will probably be with using the next sheen up for the second coat (same paint [BMRS] in the same color). Will I likely have areas where the sheen will be uneven? I absolutely do not want to do three coats, so if the sheen will likely be uneven then I will just pick up another gallon of the eggshell.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
If your having coverage problems, try putting the paint on thicker. Regal is great paint, should have no problem changing sheen in one coat. The thing is its hard to get a full "coat" of paint on in one application. Even a lot of pros I know have to do two applications to get the film thickness of one "coat" that is recommended by paint manufactures.
I find that it does not level very well at all. I found that brush marks are very apparent if you put the paint on too thick. Plus, I find it difficult to put the paint on but so thick when doing windows, fireplace mantles and other more intricate work.

But I'm a little confused by what you are saying. You say 1) that I should have no problem changing sheens in one coat, but that it is also hard to get one full coat on in one application.

This is a really, really big job. I am doing the second coat regardless. I want to up the sheen a little, but not if doing that will require a 3rd coat.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #8

One thing that helps me get on a thicker coat is using a good quality brush with softer bristles.
The softer the brush is, the more paint it will leave behind as you brush. So you can still brush it out some and not thin out the coat so bad.
Actually, a thicker coat can flow out smoother, and with less brush strokes if you can get it on evenly and pretty quickly. I have the best luck getting a smooth coat on trim by using a 4' roller to get the paint on the trim then brushing it out with a brush. But you gotta be quick.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
No surprise there CN!

You're a big help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #10

Well I got the Pearl sheen this morning for the second coat. Got there late (7:05) and thought I'd be in a long line. I was the only one there.

We'll see how this goes!

Oh - Jmayspaint, I was using the Purdy Nylox brushes most of the time on the trim. Very soft bristles. But I used a standard medium stiff Purdy 3" brush on the wains b/c it's all I had. I picked up a Wooster Silvertip in 3" at BM today because the bristles seemed very soft. It was a very inexpensive brush but seemed to be pretty nice.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
BSW 's satin = BM's Matte
Not sure what you mean here. Let's say comparing SuperPaint in Satin to Aura in Matte, SuperPaint has more sheen.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Rubbin walls since'79

But SP satin is way less sheen than Aura Satin.
My point is that it is closer to , maybe = was the wrong way to put it.
Bm 's sheens are not exact in the same catagory even between its own lines .