Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

2nd coat help

Hi There. Primed and put first coat on new construction drywall in basement. We are using Sherwin Williams drywall primer and Duralast or Durabond or whatever they call it paint.

After looking at the finished results, there is a wall parallel to where you enter the basement, so coming into the basement you are looking down the wall. As I looked at the finish in the afternoon sun through the window, I could see roller marks on the wall where you can see differences in the finish.

When I do my second coat, what can I do to avoid those marks and get a nice even finish on the walls? Thanks for any advice.

joshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,146

2nd coat help

Lots of threads on here about proper finishing techniques.

#1 Use at least a 1/2 inch nap roller sleeve so you can get plenty of paint on/in the roller. Load that puppy up with paint, don't be stingy. It should almost be dripping when you remove it each time from your roller tray.

#2 Don't push! Let the roller do the work. Most noobs push down too hard on the roller which then pushes paint out to the sides leaving roller marks. Be gentle but firm as you roll..........

#3 Use quality tools. That pack of bargain roller covers is virtually worthless. Get Purdy or Wooster brand.

#4 Use quality paint from Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore. Never heard of DuraJunk paint. Switching away from SW after using their primer sure didn't help.

#5 No paint covers in one coat. That second coat will cover lots of mistakes and will even out the color and the sheen.

#6 Hopefully you had some good drywallers. If not, some of those problems could be caused by a poor drywall finish job.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

2nd coat help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs
Hi There. Primed and put first coat on new construction drywall in basement. We are using Sherwin Williams drywall primer and Duralast or Durabond or whatever they call it paint.

After looking at the finished results, there is a wall parallel to where you enter the basement, so coming into the basement you are looking down the wall. As I looked at the finish in the afternoon sun through the window, I could see roller marks on the wall where you can see differences in the finish.

When I do my second coat, what can I do to avoid those marks and get a nice even finish on the walls? Thanks for any advice.
When you roll the wall, make all your finish strikes down strokes.
One major reason for 'flashing' like you describe is textural differences from where the roller was going up, an where it was going down.
Put plenty of paint on the wall, spread it out quickly, and finish with down strikes. (Or up strokes, just easier to go down.)

The thing is, you can easily over tool fast drying latex, like Duration, so keep your strokes to a
Minimum, while still spreading it well.
Over tooling is another major reason for flashing.

Also, make sure the paint is stirred/mixed well.
Sanding and dusting the wall before the finish would also help.

Walls with that kind of light are tough, good luck!
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

2nd coat help

All as above. Work from wet areas to dry ones, not the other way around.

Remember the higher sheen the paint, the more surface differences and defects will show.

Higher sheen latex paints take up to 30 days to cure so do not be too quick to judge the final coat.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

2nd coat help

Thanks guys. Using an egg shell sheen. First coat didn't look awful just want to make sure it looks good. Thanks!
joshs is offline   Reply With Quote