1st Time Painting, What Should I Know? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

1st time painting, what should I know?

As the title states, this will be my first time painting. I am paining our family room which is about 26x13, not included the small area going up by the stairs. The color now is a dark red and I want to paint it a light brownish/beige color. I understand I have to get primer tinted to the color I want and most likely use 2 coats of it.

Do I need to sand and wash the walls before putting on the primer? Do I need to tape around the 2 windows and the baseboard? I'm not sure I have a steady enough hand to do it without tape.

What would I need, painting tape, paint, rollers, tray, drop clothes, brushes, primer, step stool...not sure of what else.

Also, what brands should I be looking for for the above and what should I stay away from? The paint color I liked was from Sico paint.

Sorry for all of the noob questions but I figured I would check with the experts before tackling this.

Advertisement

elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,218

Easy, just go to a real paint store( ie,not bigbox) and ask your quwstions, thet will tell you and show you all you need to know. One coat primer, two coats finish.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

supply list about covers it. Use Benjiman Moore or SW paints. Avoid cheap paints. With paint you always get what you pay for. The costly paints are that way because they use better ingredients. All paint manufactures buy from chemical supplies. The only way to lower costs with paint is to lower the value of the parts. Thus you pay more, since you will have to add more coats and re-paint sooner.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I always use Benjamin moore paint. If you're new to painting and have looked at the box box stores at paint for price you might be surprised by the prices (50-70 per gallon) but a gallon with cover more and you'll paint faster and drip less. This is especially true when you will be cutting in the the trim, base and ceiling, a thick paint is easier to handle than the watery stuff you get for $30 a gallon. With BM Aura paint I think you will cover your very bold colour with two coats without any need for primer. (Assuming the existing paint is latex)
trosenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Sprayboy-services.com

First time painting? Over red in a family room? Open phone book, look under painters/painting.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you are new to painting go ahead and use painter's tape. Make sure you have something nice and sharp to get at any paint that seeps under the tape. You probably want to invest in a nice ladder appropriate to your space. Step stools can be a bit dangerous. You will need a nice caulking gun and some caulk to seal any cracks/gaps around trim/baseboards.

Tinting the primer will make it easier to put the finish coats on but only use 50-60 percent of the formula. One coat primer and two coats finish with good material should be fine.

And yes, spend whatever time is needed on prep. Fill all the holes, sand is needed, wash the walls, get the pet hair off the baseboards, etc.

As Chris mentioned, your real paint store will have people that can tell you what you need. If you go early in the morning when those of us who do this for a living are waiting for paint orders I suspect you will find most of us willing to try and help you although we would love the business too I suppose? Hard for me to work in one room projects.

Don't skimp. Buy good paint, get heavy enough tarps, nice brushes, etc.

And remember, we all painted for the first time once! A lot of being good at it is just practice. I wish I could claim it is rocket science though. Would be good for my ego on some days.

Last edited by user1007; 01-12-2010 at 03:47 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementz View Post
Also, what brands should I be looking for for the above and what should I stay away from? The paint color I liked was from Sico paint.
most paint stores can match colors now. if you get a color chip you can go to Benjamin Moore or SW and have it matched.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
most paint stores can match colors now. if you get a color chip you can go to Benjamin Moore or SW and have it matched.
True.

They may even have a direct translation table at most paint stores. Don't even ask at a box store. They will stare blindly into space.

Most major paint stores have scanners. They can take the chip, plunk it in the scanner and it will kick out the paint code. Doesn't have to be a paint swatch. SW an Ben Moore offer similar applications as free handheld phone applications now by the way.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

The first time I painted I was so bad you could tell exactly how I rolled on the paint, told everyone it was my new technique for faux finishing. I think thats one of the key things to get down your roller technique, so it ends up finishing smooth. TAPE EVERYTHING!! its better to take your time & do it right.

GOOD Luck!
fixnbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #10

Alright, a couple of more questions for the experts.

Started at 11:30am and just finishing up now around 5:30pm. We taped, moved furniture, light sand, washed the walls and did the priming.

1) My priming looks kind of streaky, is that normal for priming or just my inferior technique? When I apply a couple coats of paint, will it look that bad or does paint apply to the surface smoother?

2) Something came up today where we probably won't be able to start painting until next weekend. Is it ok to leave the primer on for a week, and then start painting?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

primer curing is good.lightly sand between coats

Last edited by tpolk; 01-23-2010 at 04:48 PM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
Remodeling Contractor

primer is made to seal the surface not cover it. So this streaking is okay. (unless you are seeing ridges from applying too much paint with a roller) You will have no problem with leaving the primer on several days to several months.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Should not be seeing any exposed areas though. You can leave it for a time. Just remember to clean and prep it if you leave it for too long.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #14

Perfect. I found the primer did a pretty good job covering over the blood red paint that was down here. I plan on doing some sanding and clean the walls again before I apply my first coat of paint.

Just hoping the paint color looks good down here as it did in the store.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #15

One more stupid question.

I don't have to remove the tape after primering or the first coat do I? Just remove the tape after you finishing applying the final coat of paint is the normal rule isn't it?

Advertisement