1st Time Home Owner - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

1st time home owner

Hi everybody!i just want to ask what prep do i need to do to paint my living room. I dont like the color of my walls right now so i need to change it. do i just overlap the existing paint or i do i sand it first then primer and then paint?and if i decide to also repaint the vinyl exterior sidings can i just overlap it?thanks for the help

Advertisement

ataliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #2

1st time home owner

I'm sure there are more qualified people with a paint brush on this forum than me, however it all depends on what the surface is you are painting, what condition it is in, what paint is on it at the moment, what repairs need doing and what paint you are going to be using? Photo's probably wouldn't hurt. First and foremost you need to make sure the surface is clean and dry. You may need to wash the walls with Sugar soap or similar (I'm Australian so I'm not sure what products you would have available). Some trims etc could well need to be sanded back. Problems like flaking paint, plaster that is lifting, or cracks in walls will all need to be addressed. Also if you want to use light colours over previously dark, you may want to investigate cover stain paint options. I haven't had much to do with them, but from what I understand they are a good option to avoid having to put on 10 coats to get rid of the dark brown wall that was a good idea in the 70's.

You are probably best to head down to a couple of paint shops and speak with them about your options. If you go to a couple then you will get a good idea of what you need. Just be sure you are prepared to answer their questions about what the current walls and paint are. You will also need to have an idea of how much square area you have to paint so you buy the right quantity. Do make sure you head to a could of shops if you can though, I know that here in Australia there can be a vast difference in prices and it often falls back to the fact that certain shops push certain brands of products because they get a better deal from their supplier and a bigger profit, and they aren't too worried about if the product is actually the best option for the customer.
Cheers
Brendan
www.justfixitpm.com.au

Advertisement

Last edited by JustFixItPM; 05-24-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Because I can't spell tonight!
JustFixItPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #3

1st time home owner

the walls and the vinyl sidings are in excellent condition, no flaking paint or whatsoever...
ataliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 672

1st time home owner

Can vinyl siding be painted, sure. Is it a great idea no.
Vinyl expands and contrats a lot, where the seams over lap I've seen time and time agin where the old paint shows at every seam in the winter when it contrats the most.

In my opion it's better to just replace the siding if you do not like the color.
If the trims in good shape and the colors or the trim will work for you it's just a matter of removing the siding and replacing. The trim is the hard part of a siding job.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

1st time home owner

Regarding vinyl siding: Pay attention to the LRV (Light Reflectance Valu) of the color you choose. The scale goes from 1 to 100, Black being 1 and White being 100. Any color that han an LRV of 55 or higher is necessary to prevent warping of the siding.

Your local paint dealer should be able to guide you as to preparation of surface, priming (If required), what type of finish paint and necessary tools to use. Find a store with quality product and experienced help.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote