Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #1

Share |

1st time exterior painting a house, need suggestions/tips/advice

I'm about to paint my house this weekend and I thought I'd ask for tips and advice. Here's the rundown

Some info on the home:
- The siding is composite wood
- It's a 1200 sq ft home w/ a 2 car garage
- I don't know how long ago it was painted or what it was painted with. The paint is peeling in some areas, flaking in others
- The house was built in '77. I have done some basic lead testing and so far so good.

What I've gathered so far:

- I'm using a pressure washer for the majority of the paint stripping. It's a Craftsman model that hits 3000psi
- Due to some of the posts I've read on here, I've decided to go with SW Duration paint and I'm using SW premium oil primer.
- I don't have access to an airless sprayer so me and a couple friends will be doing it by roller and brushes.

Aside from any random advice that you guys see fit to throw out there, especially any prep work tips, I'd also like to ask the following:

- Should I find that there IS lead in some of this paint, what recommended steps can I take to avoid exposing my 10 mo old daughter to it?

- I've never operated a pressure washer before. Does it basically do the job for me or do I need to bone up on some technique?

Last edited by Funkdrspot; 04-30-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Funkdrspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkdrspot View Post
I'm about to paint my house this weekend and I thought I'd ask for tips and advice. Here's the rundown

Some info on the home:
- The siding is composite wood
- It's a 1200 sq ft home w/ a 2 car garage
- I don't know how long ago it was painted or what it was painted with. The paint is peeling in some areas, flaking in others
- The house was built in '77. I have done some basic lead testing and so far so good.

What I've gathered so far:

- I'm using a pressure washer for the majority of the paint stripping. It's a Craftsman model that hits 3000psi

This is a pressure washer not a paint stripper.

- Due to some of the posts I've read on here, I've decided to go with SW Duration paint and I'm using SW premium oil primer.

Good choice.

- I don't have access to an airless sprayer so me and a couple friends will be doing it by roller and brushes.

Hand painting is by far the best way to go IMO.

Aside from any random advice that you guys see fit to throw out there, especially any prep work tips, I'd also like to ask the following:

Hand scrape or use a orbital sander to take down any and all loose paint. Feather any and all edges of removed paint as so they will not show in final paint. Exterior Spackle edges if need be. Prime and paint after.

- Should I find that there IS lead in some of this paint, what recommended steps can I take to avoid exposing my 10 mo old daughter to it?

Do not let her do any of the work........ Sorry I just could not resist it. Keep all paint chips cleaned up after days end. Do not keep windows open while performing work. Be sure to remove clothing before entering your home. Do not wash clothing with other clothing. Better yet discard clothing used to do prep work after your completely finished. If your really concerned about lead maybe a abatement co might be the ticket. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Make sure to wear a particle mask or a charcoal respirator while scraping/sanding.

- I've never operated a pressure washer before. Does it basically do the job for me or do I need to bone up on some technique?
A pressure washer is just that. @ 3000 PSI it is no toy. You can destroy your siding. You can inject water into your body or others. A pressure washer does remove loose paint, but it is by no means a easy fix for good old fashioned labor. ( Hand scraping/ Hand sanding/ Orbital sanding. If not used correctly you can raise the grain beyond sanding. You can make deep scars or holes in your siding. Never start with the spray tip inches away from your work area. Always start away from and move into your work area. Make sure before you power wash that your siding is tight ( all nailed up ) nothing loose or it might get blown off. Wear protective goggles while using this machine as loose paint or wood debris can be very hurtful to your eyes. Use a spay tip that is needed, fine spray or the next one up. DO not use the barrel tip. Try to practice on a test board if you can before you go on to your house. That way you get the feel for what is going on.

Wash/scrape/Spackle/Sand/Prime/Paint..................... Then enjoy!

Good luck to you...................... And Be Safe!!!!!!

Last edited by mark942; 04-30-2010 at 07:00 AM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark942 For This Useful Post:
Funkdrspot (04-30-2010)
Old 04-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post
Hand painting is by far the best way to go IMO.

Ok. Good to know. I think I'll return all but 1 of the rollers, so I can hit up the patio areas fast and easy, and get another brush for my friends.
One question on this though, Will it matter
, quality wise, if i use the rollers to try to save some time with applying the primer?

Quote:
Hand scrape or use a orbital sander to take down any and all loose paint. Feather any and all edges of removed paint as so they will not show in final paint. Exterior Spackle edges if need be. Prime and paint after.

Sorry if I'm a noob to the painting terms. What's Feathering? In what situations would I need to exterior spackle my edges? So even if I pressure wash this house, I'm still gonna have to hand scrape and orbital sand?! Arg!!! What is recommended for an orbital sander in this forum?

Quote:
A pressure washer is just that. @ 3000 PSI it is no toy. You can destroy your siding. You can inject water into your body or others. A pressure washer does remove loose paint, but it is by no means a easy fix for good old fashioned labor. ( Hand scraping/ Hand sanding/ Orbital sanding. If not used correctly you can raise the grain beyond sanding. You can make deep scars or holes in your siding. Never start with the spray tip inches away from your work area. Always start away from and move into your work area. Make sure before you power wash that your siding is tight ( all nailed up ) nothing loose or it might get blown off. Wear protective goggles while using this machine as loose paint or wood debris can be very hurtful to your eyes. Use a spay tip that is needed, fine spray or the next one up. DO not use the barrel tip. Try to practice on a test board if you can before you go on to your house. That way you get the feel for what is going on.

Thanks for the tips on the pressure washer. Just so I'm clear though, a pressure washer of this strength WILL strip the paint from the wood in most cases, leaving me with very little sanding.....right? I never would have bought this stupid thing if that's not the case.

Last edited by Funkdrspot; 04-30-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #4

So I fired up the pressure washer for the first time today and it seems like it tends to remove more wood than it does paint. I was thinking of getting a Wagner PaintEater to sand the whole house down. Anyone got any better ideas?
Old 05-01-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

http://www.silentpaintremover.com/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Well, i'd probably go for that if I hadn't already spent $500 on the pressure washer. I bought it 3 months ago but I just took it out of the box yesterday so maybe they'll let me return it.

In the meantime though, assuming that I can't afford that, is the Wagner PaintEater a decent investment for paint stripping? Or do they rent these silent paint removers?

*edit* Nevermind, I see they rent them on their own website. $120 for 3 days....Was probably going to spend that much on the Wagner + discs....plus my understanding is this is going to save 10s of hours of time over sanding.....

After doing a bit of digging, I was wondering if you knew about this http://www.eco-strip.com/Tempted.html

Last edited by Funkdrspot; 05-01-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #7

Ok, so I can still return that pressure washer since it's only been since March 3rd ( 90 days return policy for Sears ).....but damn if it didn't clean the hell out of my driveway...

I think I'm going to go with the Wagner PaintEater for the time being, unless someone can recommend me a better sander in the >$100 range

I'm gonna try and rent one of these things and I thought I'd provide the links for anyone else who is reading this thread.

From the real company:
http://www.eco-strip.com/Rentals.html

From the knock-off company:
http://www.silentpaintremover.com/rentone.htm
Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #8

i agree with everything mark 942 said, that's basic paint prep 101

however, you prefer hand painting? curious as to why? i know the finish a few airless guns i've looked at provide isn't perfect due to the mass of paint they spit, is that it or?

i'm actually going to experiment with air and how thin i have to get the paint when i shoot my house this year. i MUCH prefer air painting to airless in most mediums, it's just latex is so thick; getting it to fly out 1.8mm which is my largest tip might be difficult.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

I don't think spaying either way will give you the protection that regular brush painting will for exterior work, just my opinion
Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #10

Hand painting is definitely harder than using an airless sprayer but in IMO is superior to spraying as the paint is pushed in to the pores of the wood and seals the wood. Trust me you will work out your arms and chest brushing in paint. Use quality Purdy 3" and 4" brushes and use 2" for trim work. I also would use the small 6 1/2" x 1/2" nap small micro rollers. Also with a sprayer you have to watch overspray carefully on neighbors cars, windows, etc.
Also with a sprayer you use more paint with pressure blow off and your skill level using the spray gun.

I recommend a small palm sized sanding block, cost $20-25 to sand your siding. It is lightweight and easy to control and carry on a ladder to sand those hard to reach places. I use 60 grit sand paper and go light on sanding pressure. Replace any dry rot wood siding also.

Your SW paint selection is quality are the way! Zinsser 123 water base primer is also very good also.

I am currently painting the exterior of my 1650 sq ft ranch using Zinsser 123 primer and 2 coats of Flat ICI Dulux Fortis paint. I have 1 side almost done but will paint the rest of the house in a satin finish for a higher sheen and durability due to recommendations from paint forums.

Above all take your time with surface prep, and be safe on the ladder and you will be happy with your final result.

Jim

Last edited by PAINTLOVER; 05-02-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Sorry left out a sentence.
PAINTLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #11

Ok well it seems like if I want to remove ALL the paint that I'm going to be in for a lot of work. I thought the pressure washer would make it come right off but the zero tip destroys the wood and the general tip does nothing. I tried the turbo tip and that was a little bit better but still not quite what I had hoped.

And when I sand with the Wagner PaintEater, I lose the texture of the composite wood siding, so that hasn't been a total win either

So I'm going to rent that silent paint remover and see how that goes for the most part but I would like to ask you guys if I'm going a bit overboard. 2 areas of my home have a bit of peeling and cracking but most of the house's paint seems to be standing strong. Should I just go water based for the primer and paint over it or does it really make a difference in the quality to strip it to bare wood, especially since i seem to be losing the texture of the siding as i sand?

Last edited by Funkdrspot; 05-02-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #12

Also, another question i had is if there was a way for me to tell what type of paint is currently on the house. Meaning part of the reason I opted to go with the task of completely stripping the house was because I had no idea as to what type of paint the previous owners had used. Is there any way to test this?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #13

stripping is a TON of work. from my experiences latex is extremely compatible. it's not like auto paint where different brands can cause reactions. with all of the latex i have used there has been no fisheye or peeling reaction going over old material provided it's prepared properly. wash well, fether edges and sand rough areas well. you'll basically going after a uniform surface. if the old paint is attached well i don't see a reason to removed it. just lightly sand it, wash and go.

let's see what few of the other guys say, i think we have some experienced home painters in here that could chime in on prep work and the pros/cons of different methods.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

As long as it is properly prepped( sanding scraping cleaning,etc) there is no reason to throughly strip all the paint.For the ultimate job, yes ,taking it back to bare wood is the way to do it. Up to you. If it were me, I would use a slow dry oil based primer, especially over any bare wood,123 is a good product but IMO not the one for this situation.I would follow up with 2 coats of 100% acrylic exterior paint such as Weathershield from Duron
Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
stripping is a TON of work. from my experiences latex is extremely compatible. it's not like auto paint where different brands can cause reactions. with all of the latex i have used there has been no fisheye or peeling reaction going over old material provided it's prepared properly. wash well, fether edges and sand rough areas well. you'll basically going after a uniform surface. if the old paint is attached well i don't see a reason to removed it. just lightly sand it, wash and go.

let's see what few of the other guys say, i think we have some experienced home painters in here that could chime in on prep work and the pros/cons of different methods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
As long as it is properly prepped( sanding scraping cleaning,etc) there is no reason to throughly strip all the paint.For the ultimate job, yes ,taking it back to bare wood is the way to do it. Up to you. If it were me, I would use a slow dry oil based primer, especially over any bare wood,123 is a good product but IMO not the one for this situation.I would follow up with 2 coats of 100% acrylic exterior paint such as Weathershield from Duron

Thank you both. I appreciate the feedback.

I would like to ask what level of sanding you all might recommend that I do. Am I just trying to remove lose paint?

Since I have rough texture plywood siding, would using a wire brush be a good alternative to some of the sanding/scraping?