12 Yr House Bought - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

12 yr house bought

i get a great discount on pittsburg paint. Is it a quality product? needed for inside of 12 yr old house. thanx

Advertisement

nichl006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

12 yr house bought

It's ok, every company makes a range of paints. Do not think your getting a deal by buying the bottom of there line.
Do not fall for the primer and paint in one. Simply not going to happen.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

12 yr house bought

Joe's right. Every company has a full range of lines. PPG does make a good product. Because of limited availability, I don't have much experience with them, but I have used them on occassion. Since you're getting a discount, splurge a little more and get the best you can.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

12 yr house bought

yep its great paint .ppg manor hall,for walls and trim , you cant go wrong .for utility rooms ,closets, you can use speed hide its a very good contractor grade .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

12 yr house bought

There was a great, real Pittsburgh Paint dealer where I used to live and some clients preferred that over other brands. They had a large contractor following, the people working there knew what they were talking about, customer service was great, and I would not complain if someone asked me to use REAL paint store Pittsburgh paints. They went out of their way to try and get more of my business. If you can get a deal, I think you will be pleased.

I used Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams most of the time but never had complaints about Pittsburgh jobs I completed. Their color people put out one of the most coherent color selectors available and I often cheated and used it but had the color mixed in Ben Moore paints. I guess I have just been accustomed to calling orders in to my Ben Moore dealer I forgot about the Pittsburgh folks. They were a bit further from me but I cannot use that as an excuse. They happily delivered too.

Now then, that said, and I do not understand. Sherwin-Williams box store brand is Dutch Boy. BEHRly paint is freestanding branded crap. Valspar is Lowe's consumer idiot paint. Pittsburgh is Menard's brand of box store nonsense. Maybe because they do not have so many stores or dealers they see the handwriting on the wall and are trying to carve out a niche in the consumer market?

Why they do not rebrand it under a different label otherwise baffles me because it drags the reputation of the whole line down---in my opinion. I guess they are at least honest about it being theirs?

Do heed the comment about their being no such thing as paint and primer in one. I am still miffed about the one post recently suggesting all acrylics are self-priming too. I am being nicer this year so did not comment.

Last edited by user1007; 01-29-2012 at 04:29 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote