DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is 1 coat of primer typical or two?

65K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  homeimprov 
#1 ·
Is 1 coat of primer typical or two?

I'm going over a rose paint, with primer and then going to do 2 coats regular paint.

I can still faintly see the rose behind the 1st coat of primer, should I do a 2nd coat of primer?

The primer is an acrylic kind from a paint store.

TIA

#7 ·
What gymschu says. :thumbsup:

#8 · (Edited)
I tend to add 40 percent or so of the paint color formula mix to primer when covering dark colors or planning to add one.

Usually, I just use one coat of primer but I remember painting over a goth teen all black room once. It made more sense to do two coats of primer than spending the money on an extra finish coat layer. Primer is cheaper.

#9 ·
1 primer, but....

Yes, you should be able to cover it with one primer. However, in some cases you will need two. I had a dark blue paint in my dining room that I wanted to paint over with yellow paint. My Arlington Heights home improvement contractors used two coats of primer. Otherwise, the blue would've shown through to the yellow! Your rose color should be okay with one, but I recommend to other people that it just depends on the situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.