Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
the Musigician

Share |

Your charity $$$

As you open your pockets for the next natural disaster, please keep

these facts in mind:

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans

salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $375,000 base

salary along with numerous expense benefits

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,200,000 per year (100k per month)

plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE. Less than 5 cents of

your donated dollar goes to the cause

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of

only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar

organization. 96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

DM

BigJim (05-03-2011), Blondesense (05-04-2011), gma2rjc (06-04-2011), oh'mike (05-04-2011), tpolk (05-03-2011), Willie T (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

Your charity $$$

Yeah, go figure!
Something concerning "Wounded Veterans", is always good.
(Not, knocking the "Salvation Army" - good people!)

RF

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #3

Your charity $$$

Funny that charitys come up today as I recieved a strange call from a charity last night.

We donate items for pick-up too a group that is important to us. It's a once a month call from a nice lady that who sounds very very old, a few days later you set the items on your porch to be picked up.

Well last night the phone rings and the caller ID had a very familiar name scrolling across it. It was the name of a former employee of my fathers, It ended up being his wife but she's also a former employee.

Long story......This lady had been with the company as the book keep for nearly 27yrs, was there when my old man bought it and was like family. She did'nt make a lot and her husband was a shiftless hippy,50yrs old full time student who did'nt contribute to the household couffers......so my dad hired him on P/T to help the lady. Her daughter took after the father and went to school fulltime for many years, to no avail.....yup my dad hired her too.

Well a few years ago during the winter (the slow season) my dad had lunch with his auditor who said he needed to watch how much overtime his book keeps worked. My dad was suprised because of the season, He's streching pennies just so he doesnt have to lay anyone off.

That's when the investigation started.............within a week they found allmost $300k missing, as time went on that would top 1mil. She was a smart lady she put all stolen funds into her bank account then withdrew cash and deposited that in an account her sister had opened for her. Their homes and cars were in the sisters name also.......crafty bunch huh

She was indicted and convicted of embezeling,wire fraud and tax evasion in the federal courts and sentanced to 5yrs in the federal prison system. A few months later my dad got a call informing him she was given early release due to over crowding and her age..60yrs old.

Back to last night when she called, She asked for my wife (who was'nt home) so I told her I was her husband(my wifes been giving to this group since before we were married) So the old theif lady did'nt know my name only my wifes maiden name. We went through the dates for pick-up a all that and after we had finalized everything I asked her for her name. I acted very surprised when I said "why your that convict theif right"....."no not me"............"yes you are you stole over a mil."................."No you must have me confused with someone elso"..........................."no I do'nt you live over off of XYZ street in a house you paid for with stolen money"...............her tone changed as she asked "who are you?".......I said it did'nt matter I "know who you are and what you've done" she started in again with "I really dont know what your talking about"......So I asked " Has Virgil(her lowlife hubby) ever cut off his ponytail"...................Dead silence followed by a very meek "no". And I just ended the call by berading her and calling her names.

So I'm waiting on a call from the regonal director of this charity to find out why a FED. felon has my #, address. I also thought that the ladies that call to set up the pick-ups were volunteers turns out their paid a commision of $1 per pick-up. The thing that bothers me is that our donations are usually not very valuable old blenders,pitchers and plates or old clothes that dont fit anymore.
If she(the theif) gets $1 and the drivers make $12-$16 an hr plus fuel what happens to our $3 donation, how does this help anyone we intended for it to.
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Your charity $$$

My youngest son is autistic, so when "Autism Speaks" popped up I was interested. Check their tax return. One recent year they spent almost 18 million, but their grants to groups and individuals was less than $70,000 combined......http://www.examiner.com/autism-in-lo...-autism-speaks
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Your charity $$$

I can make this easy for everyone. Simply designate me as your charity and I will guarantee that 100% of your donations (cash greatly preferred) will be used to support the charities named cause.

In return, I promise that I will never take a salary from the charity.

What more can you ask for?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Your charity $$$

I would like to start a charity that would buy toupees for bald eagles. Send me all your money and I will make sure that only 100% of it goes to my salary for running the organization.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Your charity $$$

Obviously there is a cost to run any charity. I sit on a board for a charity, and even though we have no salaries to pay, there are still costs for postage, printing, website, advertising, etc. I think we all have the duty to check out how our charities spend their money, just like we do on anything else. Just don't use this as an excuse to not be charitable. Many local organizations are able to operate with much lower costs than the mega ones. The Salvation Army is to be commended for operating with that small of a budget.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Your charity $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
I would like to start a charity that would buy toupees for bald eagles. Send me all your money and I will make sure that only 100% of it goes to my salary for running the organization.
but I promised to not take a salary at all and 100% would go directly to the intended beneficiary of the charity.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Your charity $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Obviously there is a cost to run any charity. I sit on a board for a charity, and even though we have no salaries to pay, there are still costs for postage, printing, website, advertising, etc. I think we all have the duty to check out how our charities spend their money, just like we do on anything else. Just don't use this as an excuse to not be charitable. Many local organizations are able to operate with much lower costs than the mega ones. The Salvation Army is to be commended for operating with that small of a budget.
absolutely.

the problem with tossing out numbers like a CEO that makes $XXX,XXX can be misleading. I think knowing the percentage of donations that are spent in direct assistance to the charity is a much more dependable and practical number to be concerned with.

actually, I would be concerned about a guy that agrees to only $13k/year. Unless you find an person that is altruistic to a fault, one should expect to pay a CEO a reasonable salary. It costs money to live and it costs money to hire competent people. I cannot see a person being able to live on $13k a year in any reasonable manner. At some point, survival would become a concern and based on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, until the most basic needs are satisfied, a person cannot move to consider higher levels of need.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
the Musigician

Your charity $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I cannot see a person being able to live on $13k a year in any reasonable manner.
Now THAT explains everything! No wonder we never seem to get ahead!

Try living on less than $9,000..... with 4 of us......

DM
Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Your charity $$$

I guess you just have to be around folks like Todd and others like him for awhile to understand.

Our preacher takes a salary of $1 a year... pays for his own house and cars.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

Your charity $$$

I'm pretty sure a guy who I babysat for in the 1980s went to jail for defrauding the charity he worked for.... can't remember the details. I'll have to ask my mom.

Here are some charities I support because of their good works:

- I've given money to Heifer, International. I like the mission and the way the company is run. Buy a goat, rabbit, chicken, cow for sustainable improvement for a community.

- I donate things to AmVets, Goodwill, and the Salvation Army.

- The red cross/crescent has such an amazing reach, I have donated to them

- Canned goods to the USPS mailcarrier food drive - It's this MONTH - SATURDAY, MAY 14th

for most things I like to give locally - many local branches that seem affiliated with National Charities don't get money from them.

We give to our local humane society. Local NPR (because I'm not a free rider).

- I donated my car to a local vo-tech.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
Learning by Doing

Your charity $$$

When people are living on small or nominal salaries they have to be making ends meet somehow. No matter how hard you try you can't LIVE on $1 a year.

So, either they have an independent source of income (trusts, estates, grants, etc) or they are getting other sorts of income in the form of in kind donations. Somewhere to live, cars, clothes, food. It has to come from somewhere......

I do admire people who defer personal enrichment for the good of their communities.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Your charity $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I guess you just have to be around folks like Todd and others like him for awhile to understand.

Our preacher takes a salary of $1 a year... pays for his own house and cars.
well, obviously that is impossible without income or funds from some other source.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Your charity $$$

I was a member of the Salvation Army church as I was growing up. $13,000 sounds about right. Their housing, utilities and a vehicle was furnished in those days. I also think their uniforms were furnished. When they become an officer, it is explained that it will be a frugal life. Most stay and retire with the church.