Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Share |

Young people and jobs

Where I work I know 6 college grads that are working in unrelated fields to the degree they acquired. Why ? They just need a job and cannot find a job with their degree. (someone is not teaching these kids how to get educated to actually make a living maybe ? ) ..

When I got out of high school in 1970 when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth, it was no problem for any of us graudates back then to get a job. I graduated on friday night and went to work two days later as there were factory/construction jobs a plenty. Now in 2012 we have too many people and not enough jobs to go around..

The USA manufacturing base has been diminished and the immigrants from south of the border are taking the manual labor/construction jobs. What are the youngsters that dont have a college degree (and even some with a degree) supposed to do for a living these days ?...

I can see why so many of the youth nowadays are just angry. What was that old country song, " Dont leave a working man, with no place to go "..

It doesnt look well for the young people today (or any other age really) in the job market, its no wonder they want us old farts to die off and leave a job opening........
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Young people and jobs

You just haven't been paying attention. Every one I met has gotten their degree in management. Every one expects to spend 6 months or less in a mid-management position, then move into Vp position and within one year, be Pres of the company.
Construction, mechanic, nor mail room clerk fit into their plans. That's one reason we have so many jacklegs and SOB's doing so called labor work.
Then, we're also getting overpopulated with gay males who keep their pants around their knees to help accentuate the swish in their walk. Or could they just be idiots too dumb to know what a belt is and how to wear pants? I sure won't hire them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-24-2012), Ravenworks (05-08-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #3

Young people and jobs

I really wouldn't go as far as saying that someone isn't teaching the college kids how to get educated and make a living. Unemployment and the economy is to blame. There aren't any jobs for anyone. I know a girl in particular that just graduated from college for dental hygiene. She is a certified 100% hygienist, but no one will hire her. She's been trying for a year. A lot of jobs don't want new people no matter what the field because they just don't have experience. Where are you going to get experience when you can't even get your foot in the door?! I also know someone that just graduated with a great sales and marketing degree. And once again, they can't find anything. Still waiting tables....This generation just has the unfortunate end of the stick for their future.
beeristhebest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beeristhebest For This Useful Post:
Jeeps (05-04-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

Young people and jobs

The people giving out the loans are the ones making money. College is the new high school, only you have to go into debt to get there.
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Jack of all - master none

Young people and jobs

You can also look to the older generation as part of the problem. How many are working into their 60s because they didn't save properly for retirement. That keeps the 30 and 40 somethings in lower positions, not moving up and making room for the new 20 somethings.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #6

Young people and jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
You can also look to the older generation as part of the problem. How many are working into their 60s because they didn't save properly for retirement. That keeps the 30 and 40 somethings in lower positions, not moving up and making room for the new 20 somethings.
See y'all. I told you that dont like us old farts

You are not entirely wrong in your observation but I will add a bit of a counterpoint. Many of us continue to work because we have to have medical insurance. My wife and I are both in our 60's, we know what private pay health insurance cost a month. ...

Any illness at all and medical costs can bankrupt a person in a few months. I own a home and have a 401K so that makes me solvent in the eyes of bill collectors. I dont pay my medical bills and they will put my wife and I in a cardboard box living on the streets. This means I also do not qualify for indigent care until AFTER I get a c-box home. I can not go to our local university and free medicare care .
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #7

Young people and jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeristhebest View Post
I really wouldn't go as far as saying that someone isn't teaching the college kids how to get educated and make a living. Unemployment and the economy is to blame. There aren't any jobs for anyone. I know a girl in particular that just graduated from college for dental hygiene. She is a certified 100% hygienist, but no one will hire her. She's been trying for a year. A lot of jobs don't want new people no matter what the field because they just don't have experience. Where are you going to get experience when you can't even get your foot in the door?! I also know someone that just graduated with a great sales and marketing degree. And once again, they can't find anything. Still waiting tables....This generation just has the unfortunate end of the stick for their future.
When I say that someone is not teaching the kids how to get a education to earn a living, I am directing my attention to these kids parents, elders, and mentors, not the educational institution they have selected. The colleges are there to teach the classes chosen, not to assure the students have made a good personal decision on what career they have chosen to pursue. The colleges get paid regardless of their students success or failure in job placement..

Good post, and very true. The lack of experience is always a handicap. But you know what some of these young people are missing out on that cures this obstacle sometimes ? Stop being mad at us old farts and treat us with some respect and maybe even become a friend to one.. Why ?

Because we old farts have the jobs already and carry some clout with our employers. If we personally recommend any young people for a job, most of the time their application gets put on TOP of the stack. The last 40 years I have landed many of my jobs on personal recommendations from insiders I had become friends with...

The young people I mentioned at work that are not working in the field of their educational degree have diverse degrees. Their degrees are zoologist, agriculture, arts, political science, elementary teaching, on and on. Not exactly degrees that are on the top of the most wanted employee list......

The global economy has changed the face of our nation when it comes to the ability to find a job, there is a lot of blame to spread around for our current employment mess....

So, for students to spend 4 years in college and go in debt for that education, they had better do their research and find out what is out here in ways of employment, that will not be outsourced overseas or become obsolete. They have to get out of the old mindset that just because they have a education, it will assure them a job. ..

They have to fill a need, provide a service, for something that people HAVE to have, day to day to survive. To work in a field beyond that basic rule, is a gamble at best. jmo

Last edited by Jeeps; 05-04-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Civil Engineer

Young people and jobs

I graduated from college with a degree in forestry (you know, the things that grow out of the ground) back in 1977. There was a recession happening, I couldn't get a forestry job, but somehow I managed to land an engineering job 1000 miles away from where I graduated doing water resources work. In 35 years, I have never done any forestry, but se la vie. So it is nothing special to get out of college with a degree in X and never do X. I don't think college was ever set up to teach a specific usable skill, sort of a tool box approach that hopefully lets you do something. If you want to learn a specific skill set, community college is a better bet, or maybe trade school, but not traditional four year college.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Young people and jobs

Jobs are there, just not the ones they want. Most of today's youth is lazy. When I was running a crew, I tried many times to hire a young man who might want to learn a trade. When they realized that work was involved, they would quit and I was paying twice what most recent grads would make. Until they realize that they are not starting as boss and sitting in a chair all day for $100,000 a year, they won't find a job.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-30-2012), Jay 78 (05-05-2012), Ravenworks (05-08-2012), Willie T (05-26-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
Coconut Pete's paella!

Young people and jobs

The problem is a 2-part problem. The first part is definitely what Jeeps pointed out. Economy sucks, there's a lack of jobs, companies aren't hiring etc.

The other half of the problem though is exactly what some of you have already pointed out. Too many kids are graduating without having done any networking / research / internships and just want to apply for one job, get that job and within 6 months be the president of the company. The will and desire to work hard and start at the bottom seems to have suffered also.

One thing that also annoys the crap out of me is seeing all these people on the news talking about Student loans ......... again there's a 2 part problem here. I wish I could jump into the TV and yell "Maybe you should have considered the fact that you went to school for 4 years and accumulated $75,000 of student loans to get a degree in a field where the average salary is $30,000. The other side of the problem here is - nobody reminded them to think that way!

I work for a large insurance company, we hire people right out of college every few months. We see some fantastic candidates - these guys have done extra internships, spent time in companies for free just to get their feet wet, they have networked and they have been thinking about and planning this day since day 1 of their senior year. I love seeing those guys and girls come through. They can go on for upwards of 5 minutes when I ask them "why should we hire you and not the other 50 applicants". Then there's the other side of the coin. There's the kids who graduated, "took the summer off" to .......well let's be honest ... get drunk. When you ask them why ... we get "Uhhh ... i have a college degree - why shouldn't you hire me?" I wonder where the guidance for those kids went ......
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CoconutPete For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (05-06-2012), Jeeps (05-04-2012), user1007 (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Young people and jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post

The USA manufacturing base has been diminished and the immigrants from south of the border are taking the manual labor/construction jobs. What are the youngsters that dont have a college degree (and even some with a degree) supposed to do for a living these days ?...
The reason they're "taking" them is because no one else has wanted these jobs for years. There was a large influx of college-educated folks entering the const. field during the building boom of the 2000's, but as the jobs dried up and the wages subsequently tightened substantially, they moved on.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Young people and jobs

In my field, flooring, the immigrants are taking the jobs because they will work for what we were getting in the 70s. They can do it because they are living 15-20 in a house and sharing expenses. And most don't bother to get any training because training costs, so the work they turn out is substandard. It is not fair to them or us. Many landlords will use them because they don't care what the finished product looks like. It's just "get it on the floor".
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #13

Young people and jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I graduated from college with a degree in forestry (you know, the things that grow out of the ground) back in 1977. There was a recession happening, I couldn't get a forestry job, but somehow I managed to land an engineering job 1000 miles away from where I graduated doing water resources work. In 35 years, I have never done any forestry, but se la vie. So it is nothing special to get out of college with a degree in X and never do X. I don't think college was ever set up to teach a specific usable skill, sort of a tool box approach that hopefully lets you do something. If you want to learn a specific skill set, community college is a better bet, or maybe trade school, but not traditional four year college.
Well, since you know that I only have a mere high school education and you think I am not smart enough to know what the field of forestry is, then I will surmise that you finally got a job digging ditches ? (water resources work)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Young people and jobs

My degrees all the way up, and I have more than a few, have not provided me with a job I supposedly studied for yet. You have to be adaptable to survive and I do not believe this a new concept of feeling sorry for spoiled brats? And the immigrant crap does drive me nuts.

Once love of my life had family that were put in US prison camps during WW2. Just because of the way they looked and worked. Her family was luckier than most and only lost most of the property they owned. Irony is of course that both sides of her family have been, or were, US citizens longer than any of my relatives.

They owned greenhouses and did nothing more harmful than grow flowers.

So come on. The problem is we have taught a generation or two they never have to be outside, at all? right? And have we inspired them at all to pick up a hammer? Have we even taken the time to show them what a 16p nail looks like? Or a paint brush? Or a spade? Or a shovel?

We've taught them their only futures can be as graduate student level lawyers, bankers, and accountants. People of color can serve as baristas at Starbucks. Right? Or they can pick up another uniform and enter the military but often not making it to the status of commissioned officer.

And we have also priveleged kids and shown them they don't have to wash thier own clothes because the Nanny will do it. And we complain when some, with accents and color become the Nannies. We will take the low bid even knowing it must be illegal immigrants?

And we expect kids to perform because we did not care enough to give them practical skills but only "iWhats"?

Get off their case. If there is blame, it lies with us. Can you imagine what it might lead too if we on this site taught someone to actually screw something instead of somebody?

Last edited by user1007; 05-04-2012 at 10:51 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (05-23-2012), Evstarr (05-06-2012), kwikfishron (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #15

Young people and jobs

As with most internet forums, people post what they cannot or will not say in public. So the topic of the thread gets derailed by comments about the posters personal feelings towards what they are passionate about. I said nothing derogatory about immigrants, I simply stated a fact. If they are legal or have temporary work permits, fine, if not, get gone. Illegal aliens means they are committing a crime as the wordillegal denotes ......

My employer has about a 35% immigrant employee base. Why ? They work hard, work for less, and dont whine. Criteria which most of the young folks now that are natural born citizens, work hard to avoid...

And, I damn sure had no reason to mention a persons sexual orientation as it has nothing to do with my discussion...

The replies here have reinforced the point I made in my OP. I see here even more people that went to school for a specific career and ended up working in another facet of employment. Fine, we know that happens but it makes NO sense to spend 4 years and the bucks, to be trained for a specific career where there is a narrow chance of employment...

This is what I am seeing the young poeple do now and some end up as a server waiting tables. If they cannot envision what they want to do for a living, why not just get a business degree and that will cover about any field of employment...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeps For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (05-06-2012)