Worst Halloween Memories - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


I'll start. My parents used to decorate 1500sf of landscaping and all sides of the house itself for any Holiday, even those they made up. And they assumed their "corny" theme parties would appeal to me, or my friends.

Haloween was big. Long before laser sensors you all play with to trip scary lights and things, Dad would be working "hot" in his lab/garage with 110 seeing how he could make weird things happen in the middle of our front lawn.

Kids coming to the door got the usual stuff. Kid toothbrushes and little tubes of kid toothpaste were a big hit. Of course they got candy bars too. Parents got airline bottles of whatever they wanted to pick from the adult basket.

Then the horror really started. Mom always dressed up as something. After many years of reverse parenting I remember not being able to separate fantasy from reality well.

Anyhow, her big thing was to fly around the house on her broomstick, wipe it off, and serve fresh made donuts off the end of it.

"Happy Halloween Everybody!"

I tried to filter this all through herbal experiences---never really inhaling--- and even while exploring "sauteed" mushrooms. I have never been able to shake it all. I've never been able to enjoy Halloween. Cannot get into the movies even though a friend, before MS crippled him, was a puppeteer for all the first Chuckie movies. His parents still have a Chuckie hand slammed in their kitchen cabinet doors in New Mexico.

Worst is my friends thought my parents were sort of cool and hung out eating food more than I did. I thought it was good I knew I was adopted of German-American carnival workers and was glad I had no genetic links.

Oh, by the way, Olivera egg farm was near us and part of high school traditions.

Every morning after Halloween most of us with attitude had to race to rinse egg out of screens and off car paint.

What's your worst? And post fast. It is soon upon us. Seems weird daylight savings time will not change before. Then again I do not worry about it. I save sunlight in tight sealed mason jars so I do not get depressed over the winter.

Advertisement


Last edited by user1007; 10-28-2011 at 10:22 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MI's Western UP
Posts: 599
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Sounds like you should be telling these stories to your therapist and not a DIY forum.

Since it is a DIY forum, here is my unqualified interpretation; You hate the Holiday because you are rebelling against your parents.

Advertisement

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Nope. Loved my parents and I posted this in off topic for a reason I guess you cannot comprehend.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,466
Rewards Points: 2,580
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Quote:
Worst Halloween Memories
I'll start. My parents used to decorate 1500sf of landscaping and all sides of the house itself for any Holiday, even those they made up. And they assumed their "corny" theme parties would appeal to me, or my friends.

Haloween was big. Long before laser sensors you all play with to trip scary lights and things, Dad would be working "hot" in his lab/garage with 110 seeing how he could make weird things happen in the middle of our front lawn.

Kids coming to the door got the usual stuff. Kid toothbrushes and little tubes of kid toothpaste were a big hit. Of course they got candy bars too. Parents got airline bottles of whatever they wanted to pick from the adult basket.

Then the horror really started. Mom always dressed up as something. After many years of reverse parenting I remember not being able to separate fantasy from reality well.

Anyhow, her big thing was to fly around the house on her broomstick, wipe it off, and serve fresh made donuts off the end of it.

"Happy Halloween Everybody!"

I tried to filter this all through herbal experiences---never really inhaling--- and even while exploring "sauteed" mushrooms. I have never been able to shake it all. I've never been able to enjoy Halloween. Cannot get into the movies even though a friend, before MS crippled him, was a puppeteer for all the first Chuckie movies. His parents still have a Chuckie hand slammed in their kitchen cabinet doors in New Mexico.

Worst is my friends thought my parents were sort of cool and hung out eating food more than I did. I thought it was good I knew I was adopted of German-American carnival workers and was glad I had no genetic links.

Oh, by the way, Olivera egg farm was near us and part of high school traditions.

Every morning after Halloween most of us with attitude had to race to rinse egg out of screens and off car paint.

What's your worst? And post fast. It is soon upon us. Seems weird daylight savings time will not change before. Then again I do not worry about it. I save sunlight in tight sealed mason jars so I do not get depressed over the winter.
What did you guys do at your house when you ran out of beer on a school night?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,689
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Never, really had any "bad" Halloween memories.
Some real "interesting" Thanksgiving", "Christmas", and "Birthday" ones!


rossfingal
(A school night??? What! - found somebody to get more beverages! - Simple!)

Last edited by rossfingal; 10-29-2011 at 06:45 PM.
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S.W. Indiana
Posts: 263
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


My worst Halloween memory is a nightmare where I chopped up my neighbors mom and put her in a dumpster. At least I think it was a dream.......
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 460
Rewards Points: 254
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Third grade. Was home sick from school, not REALLY sick, just excited about halloween. Sadly I was forbidden from trick or treating (duh!). On the night of the 31st, we got hit by the 'megastorm'. 39" of snow, 40 mph winds, all in 30 hours. I remember watching my older sisters struggling down the street to our house, having given up for the night. The next morning we were doing bellyflops out of the 2nd floor windows into the snow drifts. On the street, there were 20' drifts over abandoned cars and trucks, which big front end loaders moving the snow kept accidentally smashing into. Thinking back, it was amazing. We haven't had a storm like that since.

Thanks for the memories.... Not bad ones for me, those came during the teenage years....herbal remedies and such. But it was the Halloween I will never forget.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Newbie
 
hwymorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


i loved dressing up, but i always hated halloween as a kid in a way because my parents never took me personally trick-or-treating. and i always wanted them too. they left it to my drunk grandfather. because my parents always wanted me to spend more time with him, and he lived in a big neighborhood so that was supposed to be "our" holiday together in a way. it wasn't fun at all. it was awkward :/ but on a good note- when i was about 11 or 12 i was old enough to hang out with friends on the holiday and had a great time
hwymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 4,014
Rewards Points: 2,298
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
My worst Halloween memory is a nightmare where I chopped up my neighbors mom and put her in a dumpster........
Haven't we all done that!
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,403
Rewards Points: 2,342
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


There was no such thing as Halloween when I was a kid. The stinkin' dinosaurs would have taken our bags and stepped on us anyway.

Barb
__________________

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Haven't we all done that!
No. Any fool can rough hack human bodies into large pieces and toss them into a giant dumpster. And forensic science will find you.

I actually get along well with by exes in laws.

I think every household should own a decent sized wood chipper, just in case.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,403
Rewards Points: 2,342
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


halloweenforum.com has some pretty neat stories and other things about Halloween.
__________________

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S.W. Indiana
Posts: 263
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
No. Any fool can rough hack human bodies into large pieces and toss them into a giant dumpster. And forensic science will find you.

I actually get along well with by exes in laws.

I think every household should own a decent sized wood chipper, just in case.
Didnt grow up in Fargo, by any chance did you ?
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
Didnt grow up in Fargo, by any chance did you ?
Twin Cities, Minnesota. Not so far from from Fargo. And to drive there from where I am you have to go through Wisconsin. People in WI eat lutefisk---one of the five most scary foods on the planet.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
Wire Chewer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,221
Rewards Points: 2,020
Default

Worst Halloween Memories


I was trick or treating in a sketchy neighborhood, because I figured it would make things more fun. I saw this big blue van passing by that had "Free Candy" spray painted on it and it stopped next to me. I don't remember what happened after that, but I don't poop the same since.

Ok, ok, just kidding. I honestly don't recall any bad experiences.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best (and Worst) Roofing Nail Guns.. Fairwind Roofing/Siding 12 09-28-2011 08:54 AM
The worst DIY operagost Off Topic 8 09-04-2011 11:53 PM
Halloween video done! DangerMouse Project Showcase 7 10-22-2009 04:28 AM
Happy Halloween - Look what you can do with A Sawzall jamiedolan Off Topic 5 11-13-2008 11:26 AM
Worst part of building a deck?? Ler0y Jenkins General DIY Discussions 8 06-09-2008 04:07 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts