DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.diychatroom.com/f39/)
-   -   Worst Halloween Memories (http://www.diychatroom.com/f39/worst-halloween-memories-121657/)

user1007 10-28-2011 10:15 PM

Worst Halloween Memories
 
I'll start. My parents used to decorate 1500sf of landscaping and all sides of the house itself for any Holiday, even those they made up. And they assumed their "corny" theme parties would appeal to me, or my friends.

Haloween was big. Long before laser sensors you all play with to trip scary lights and things, Dad would be working "hot" in his lab/garage with 110 seeing how he could make weird things happen in the middle of our front lawn.

Kids coming to the door got the usual stuff. Kid toothbrushes and little tubes of kid toothpaste were a big hit. Of course they got candy bars too. Parents got airline bottles of whatever they wanted to pick from the adult basket.

Then the horror really started. Mom always dressed up as something. After many years of reverse parenting I remember not being able to separate fantasy from reality well.

Anyhow, her big thing was to fly around the house on her broomstick, wipe it off, and serve fresh made donuts off the end of it.

"Happy Halloween Everybody!"

I tried to filter this all through herbal experiences---never really inhaling--- and even while exploring "sauteed" mushrooms. I have never been able to shake it all. I've never been able to enjoy Halloween. Cannot get into the movies even though a friend, before MS crippled him, was a puppeteer for all the first Chuckie movies. His parents still have a Chuckie hand slammed in their kitchen cabinet doors in New Mexico.

Worst is my friends thought my parents were sort of cool and hung out eating food more than I did. I thought it was good I knew I was adopted of German-American carnival workers and was glad I had no genetic links.

Oh, by the way, Olivera egg farm was near us and part of high school traditions.

Every morning after Halloween most of us with attitude had to race to rinse egg out of screens and off car paint.

What's your worst? And post fast. It is soon upon us. Seems weird daylight savings time will not change before. Then again I do not worry about it. I save sunlight in tight sealed mason jars so I do not get depressed over the winter.

forresth 10-29-2011 11:37 AM

Sounds like you should be telling these stories to your therapist and not a DIY forum.

Since it is a DIY forum, here is my unqualified interpretation; You hate the Holiday because you are rebelling against your parents.

user1007 10-29-2011 04:33 PM

Nope. Loved my parents and I posted this in off topic for a reason I guess you cannot comprehend.

Bud Cline 10-29-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Worst Halloween Memories
I'll start. My parents used to decorate 1500sf of landscaping and all sides of the house itself for any Holiday, even those they made up. And they assumed their "corny" theme parties would appeal to me, or my friends.

Haloween was big. Long before laser sensors you all play with to trip scary lights and things, Dad would be working "hot" in his lab/garage with 110 seeing how he could make weird things happen in the middle of our front lawn.

Kids coming to the door got the usual stuff. Kid toothbrushes and little tubes of kid toothpaste were a big hit. Of course they got candy bars too. Parents got airline bottles of whatever they wanted to pick from the adult basket.

Then the horror really started. Mom always dressed up as something. After many years of reverse parenting I remember not being able to separate fantasy from reality well.

Anyhow, her big thing was to fly around the house on her broomstick, wipe it off, and serve fresh made donuts off the end of it.

"Happy Halloween Everybody!"

I tried to filter this all through herbal experiences---never really inhaling--- and even while exploring "sauteed" mushrooms. I have never been able to shake it all. I've never been able to enjoy Halloween. Cannot get into the movies even though a friend, before MS crippled him, was a puppeteer for all the first Chuckie movies. His parents still have a Chuckie hand slammed in their kitchen cabinet doors in New Mexico.

Worst is my friends thought my parents were sort of cool and hung out eating food more than I did. I thought it was good I knew I was adopted of German-American carnival workers and was glad I had no genetic links.

Oh, by the way, Olivera egg farm was near us and part of high school traditions.

Every morning after Halloween most of us with attitude had to race to rinse egg out of screens and off car paint.

What's your worst? And post fast. It is soon upon us. Seems weird daylight savings time will not change before. Then again I do not worry about it. I save sunlight in tight sealed mason jars so I do not get depressed over the winter.
What did you guys do at your house when you ran out of beer on a school night?:)

rossfingal 10-29-2011 06:43 PM

Never, really had any "bad" Halloween memories.
Some real "interesting" Thanksgiving", "Christmas", and "Birthday" ones!
:)

rossfingal
(A school night??? What! - found somebody to get more beverages! - Simple!)

JackDidley 10-29-2011 07:07 PM

My worst Halloween memory is a nightmare where I chopped up my neighbors mom and put her in a dumpster. At least I think it was a dream.......:eek::eek:

Marqed97 10-29-2011 07:07 PM

Third grade. Was home sick from school, not REALLY sick, just excited about halloween. Sadly I was forbidden from trick or treating (duh!). On the night of the 31st, we got hit by the 'megastorm'. 39" of snow, 40 mph winds, all in 30 hours. I remember watching my older sisters struggling down the street to our house, having given up for the night. The next morning we were doing bellyflops out of the 2nd floor windows into the snow drifts. On the street, there were 20' drifts over abandoned cars and trucks, which big front end loaders moving the snow kept accidentally smashing into. Thinking back, it was amazing. We haven't had a storm like that since.

Thanks for the memories.... Not bad ones for me, those came during the teenage years....herbal remedies and such. But it was the Halloween I will never forget.

hwymorris 10-29-2011 10:40 PM

i loved dressing up, but i always hated halloween as a kid in a way because my parents never took me personally trick-or-treating. and i always wanted them too. they left it to my drunk grandfather. because my parents always wanted me to spend more time with him, and he lived in a big neighborhood so that was supposed to be "our" holiday together in a way. it wasn't fun at all. it was awkward :/ but on a good note- when i was about 11 or 12 i was old enough to hang out with friends on the holiday and had a great time

rusty baker 10-29-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackDidley (Post 759711)
My worst Halloween memory is a nightmare where I chopped up my neighbors mom and put her in a dumpster........:eek::eek:

Haven't we all done that!:whistling2:

gma2rjc 10-29-2011 11:48 PM

There was no such thing as Halloween when I was a kid. The stinkin' dinosaurs would have taken our bags and stepped on us anyway. :wink:

Barb

user1007 10-29-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty baker (Post 759852)
Haven't we all done that!:whistling2:

No. Any fool can rough hack human bodies into large pieces and toss them into a giant dumpster. And forensic science will find you.

I actually get along well with by exes in laws.

I think every household should own a decent sized wood chipper, just in case.

gma2rjc 10-30-2011 12:17 AM

halloweenforum.com has some pretty neat stories and other things about Halloween.

JackDidley 10-30-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 759878)
No. Any fool can rough hack human bodies into large pieces and toss them into a giant dumpster. And forensic science will find you.

I actually get along well with by exes in laws.

I think every household should own a decent sized wood chipper, just in case.

:thumbsup: Didnt grow up in Fargo, by any chance did you ?

user1007 10-30-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackDidley (Post 759978)
:thumbsup: Didnt grow up in Fargo, by any chance did you ?

Twin Cities, Minnesota. Not so far from from Fargo. And to drive there from where I am you have to go through Wisconsin. People in WI eat lutefisk---one of the five most scary foods on the planet.

Red Squirrel 10-30-2011 08:38 PM

I was trick or treating in a sketchy neighborhood, because I figured it would make things more fun. I saw this big blue van passing by that had "Free Candy" spray painted on it and it stopped next to me. I don't remember what happened after that, but I don't poop the same since.

Ok, ok, just kidding. I honestly don't recall any bad experiences.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.