Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Share |

Work related: Too good to be true.

My now ex company began deducting money from my pay without notice, justifying the reasons to themselves and simply just removing money. I was not finding out until pay day. The first time it was due to trip charges that were inferred for outside of the normal range of jobs, trip charges which were agreed upon six months ago.

The second time they did not pay me my weekly retainer/minimum pay which was just this week, that retainer pay being for two weeks ago when there was no work and what I depend on and what was our agreement. So I quit immediately. That was two days ago. It was only going to get worse. What's that old saying, Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me..??

Today I received a text saying they were back charging me $150.00 for not uploading pictures of a job I did over a month ago. I found that funny because I uploaded them the same day back then and saw them this morning still there not to mention I had already received my pay yesterday so not sure how they were going to collect even if that were the case. Well they got it figured out and text back saying they found them. At that point I offered my continued services until they find a permanent replacement or if they corrected my pay (if they pay me my weekly guarantee that they did not pay me and thus why I quit) than I'd be willing to stay.

To that I got a response of, "You're a drop in a bucket of hvac contractors, we don't need you."

I found that pretty amusing seeing as how when they started this they went through two contractors before myself that both left them without word within a month of each other.

So I text back saying that although I figured as much (meaning their true colors shined through yet once again) my offer still stands, if things become pressing I'd help until they found a permanent replacement, "Just throwing it out there because it's the right thing to do" being my exact final words.

I'm already working again with my old hvac company, actually I never left but now that Summer is upon us he can keep me full time employed or close to it as well I have numerous other ties to hvac and electrical companies that I can work for per job basis, but it does something to ones self knowing how shady and two faced, how greedy people actually can be.

Pompous you-know-whats.

Anyways, just venting. Feel free to give input.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 03-29-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

Unfortunately -
I'm not surprised!
Almost - typical!

Happy Easter!
"RF"

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Ross, yes, typical but i thought I had it good, even bragged about it on here way back when. what their excuse was was the job I decided not to do would have put me over the minimum pay that caused them to not pay me for that week. that was their lame attempt at justifying why not to pay me, there was a job that would have put me over the minimum pay but that excuse of theirs is transparent. the week in question that this minimum guarantee pay was to cover was the week prior to a job that they used as an excuse.

it's confusing even to myself, but whatever. what's done is done. I know I came out the bigger man no matter their lack of maturity as they attempted to turn things in their favor. actually, the lack of maturity fell on only one guy's shoulders but I was not surprised by it, I expected it.

In all honesty I feel sorry for them and their ethics. oh well.
oh'mike (03-30-2013), rossfingal (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #4

Can only hope Kama at some point will kick and and you live long enough to see it.
We've all seen this in one form or another.
I was hired at set rate of pay to completly rehab a two story 100 year old house, build 300 ft. of picket fencing, gutting and restoring an attached old store.
I show up and the boss has sent one man with no idea on what needs to be done, almost no materials, and no tools. He walks around for the first two hours everyday just saying I have no idea what were suppost to do.
I keep calling the owner and asking him to come to the site so we can talk about it. It takes him two weeks to show up and he hands me my pay check and it's short by $8.00 an hour.
He says I was hired as a helper not as a boss.
Get hired by another company that's been in business for over 15 years.
Turns out he did not own any tools, no walk boards, no long ladders, no break, one broken compressor.
He says he will rent all my equipment and my dump trailer, plus bay me commision on any jobs I sell.
Two months later they have broken or stole all my tools and refused to fix any or replace them and I never got paid a dime extra for anything.
He loses three jobs for taking deposits and never showing up to do the work then trys to sue me for going behind his back and talking to the customer after I quit, which I never did.
Another one says we need to hire more help to clean up some machines that had just been uncrated. My son applied for the job and gets it. He did not know we got a 1/2 lunch and no one told him other wise so he worked 8 hours a day for two weeks with no breaks. When it came time to get paid the manager comes up and asked why he was there and says he was never hired so it's up to me to pay him.
He's the one who hired him, he stood there everyday and told him what needed to be done.
(I worked on the road so I was almost never in the building)
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

and let the record show that I have offered my continued assistance until they find proper replacement but my hospitality was met with slighted and childish insult.

so sad on their part. eh, whatever. thanks guys.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Get tired of it and want to move let me know. Almost every job opening around here calls for HVAC knowledge.
All my HVAC guys I deal with a screaming for help.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Appreciate it, Joe, and don't take this the wrong way but the guys in your area could not afford me nor could they keep up with me. It's just how it is, I'm damn good and take a lot of pride in my work and have it nailed. I've always outshined the competition. Actually, there is no competition.

yes, I'm tired of it, tired of the bs with young bully boss' whom have no clue what it takes to be in the field, tired of crap ass college grads without any real world experience insulting what I do and how hard it is, tired of these dictators trying to take advantage of what I deserve for pay, tired of broken agreements. Tired doesn't even come close to how I feel, but it's a start.

but I do reside in the hvac capitol of the world. Companies here are standing on the rooftops shouting through police horns asking for help. I'm good Joe, but thanks.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

I worked one job with a company last week as a trial and error basis. They wanted me but only wanted to pay $20.00 on hour. No way I could work for that chump change. I turned them down.

and the very next day I made my usual $200.00 in two hours, one evaporator coil changeout. and the day after that, two days ago, I made $250.00 in three hours, another evap changeout.

and before either of those two I made $100.00 for 4 hours of electrical work, installing a power vent on a roof. Actually maybe two hours but I rode around in a truck for a few hours.

I'm just at a level I worked for which I need to remain at, thank my lucky stars.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 03-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

Follow up. I got a new job yesterday. It's home warranty again but it'll have to do for now, plus these guys seem to be very legit compared to the company I did home warranty for years ago. I know, but it'll simply have to do for now do get some money coming in.

After the interview and hire I came home and took a nap. Got woken up by my old company, by the guy who told me I was a drop in a bucket of hvac contractors himself, inquiring why I left. Go figure.

Anyways, at least I'm back to work.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

More update to my diary: Three calls in less than four hours, made half a grand today. Eh.

Company I turned down for $20.00 an hour I would've only made $80.00, no sales commission. Screw dat.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

I got hired on a job siding houses. Half way through the day the boss comes up too me about some non sense of why my pay needs to be cut. I said sounds good to me boss. So I told him he needs to give me some money at the end of the day. So he coughs off some cash but not enough to pay for the full day. He call me like 30 times the next day asking where I was, telling me he would pay me even more than agreed upon. I later find out someone stole a big pile of scrap aluminum siding from the job I was screwed on. Now that is karma for you. Btw, I did not steal the scrap metal.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote