Wishing?? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Wishing??

Don't really know what terms to use with this question --but I would like to know if this has worked for any of you.
I have found many buried water pipes and other metal objects by using "L" shaped rods that are loosely held in hands--straight out. When they cross, it is over the object. Sort of like wishing for water.
I have found that it doesn't work for all people, but I have no dought it works for me---And By the Way--I am not an "albino"

Advertisement

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Wishing??

I haven't tried but my wife has an internal version of this, she just knows where things are.
BTW, they are called Dowsing or Divining Rods.

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
just a tool guy

Wishing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Don't really know what terms to use with this question --but I would like to know if this has worked for any of you.
I have found many buried water pipes and other metal objects by using "L" shaped rods that are loosely held in hands--straight out. When they cross, it is over the object. Sort of like wishing for water.
I have found that it doesn't work for all people, but I have no dought it works for me---And By the Way--I am not an "albino"
When I was surveying, we had a fella with that ability...never worked for me, I just appeared to be a fool wandering around with his arms sticking out in front of him. Care to come down for a weekend? The property I live on was once a citrus orchard and we've got a lot of 4' iron irrigation lines all over the place. Gardening gets a little exciting sometimes, when the tiller hits one of 'em

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wishing??

I think the term is 'Witching'

As in water witch.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Wishing??

The United States Geological Survey published an extensive report on water dousing (sometimes called witching, divining, or wishing). The report is public property, interesting reading. Their conclusion was that there is no credible evidence that dousing works. The explanation as to why the rods move is similar to the reason a Ouija board moves, the individuals subconciously move the rods to where they believe the water is.

Since there is almost always water at some depth, it doesn't really matter where the rods point, if you dig far enough you hit water. As to finding buried objects, USGS concluded there was no evidence that dousing worked for that either.

Nevertheless, I have an odd story about dousing. I was working out on Deer Island in Boston Harbor on a billion dollar sewage treatment project. We needed to locate a buried water pipe, so we hired a specialty company. They came out with a large, well equipped truck with lots of dials and gages. They spent two hours calibrating the dials etc. When everyone else had left, the driver got out with a pair of bent coat hangers, and promptly found the line. They never turned the truck on.

I thought this was pretty incredible. Later I found out the driver had worked out there, and knew where the lines were from his previous experience. They still billed us several thousand dollars for their work.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wishing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
The United States Geological Survey published an extensive report on water dousing (sometimes called witching, divining, or wishing). The report is public property, interesting reading. Their conclusion was that there is no credible evidence that dousing works. The explanation as to why the rods move is similar to the reason a Ouija board moves, the individuals subconciously move the rods to where they believe the water is.

Since there is almost always water at some depth, it doesn't really matter where the rods point, if you dig far enough you hit water. As to finding buried objects, USGS concluded there was no evidence that dousing worked for that either.

Nevertheless, I have an odd story about dousing. I was working out on Deer Island in Boston Harbor on a billion dollar sewage treatment project. We needed to locate a buried water pipe, so we hired a specialty company. They came out with a large, well equipped truck with lots of dials and gages. They spent two hours calibrating the dials etc. When everyone else had left, the driver got out with a pair of bent coat hangers, and promptly found the line. They never turned the truck on.

I thought this was pretty incredible. Later I found out the driver had worked out there, and knew where the lines were from his previous experience. They still billed us several thousand dollars for their work.
Thanks for the facts and the great anecdote. And if any folks have 10$ to burn you can buy so-called dowsing rods on Amazon.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Pretending to be Retired

Rewards Points: 75

Wishing??

I'm not a big fan of witching either. I was supervising a contract to re-build a 6 lane road into a city. The city notified us of a large water main that was a non-redundant main feeding a steel mill among other industries. This water main couldn't be disturbed or "all hel.. would break loose" and "someone would pay dearly". Problem was they didn't know where the line was exactly, and they contracted with a specialty company to have the line located. So, out came a "old guy" with witching sticks and proceeded to locate the water main. I authorized our contractor to dig and expose the line. After an hour of excavating we realized no line was there. The "old guy" tried again and he tapped the ground with his foot and said "here". Again I authorized payment for exploratory excavation and no line was found. After 6 tries I stopped all exploratory excavations and authorized the contractor to proceed with the roadway excavations. 2 hours later he found the line, luckily without getting wet. The "old guy" said "thats the first time I ever failed. I must have been misled by those train tracks over there".
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
just a tool guy

Wishing??

As I said...I've got no ability, and I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to try it, but, I've seen it work, on more than one occasion. I wouldn't stake a contract or reputation on it though.

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #9

Wishing??

When I was working in a large industrial plant, this subject was brought up. During lunch break, about seven of us "non-believers" went outside the plant and placed a 20'x20' canvis tarp on the bare ground. We told one of the "believers" that a 1" flat washer was under the tarp. Four of them tried but didn't find the washer. We had a big laugh until one of them removed the tarp and discovered there was NO WASHER
We tried it again and three of them found the washer that was pressed flat in the ground under the tarp.
That's what made me a "somewhat" believer.
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Wishing??

I have used that method numerous times. As the rods move closer together you are nearing the water supply. When the rods are parallel with each other, you are directly over it. Very handy method for locating drain pipes in basements. Coat hangers work fairly well but I found the brass welding rods, bent at 90 deg work best.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,184

Wishing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
I found the brass welding rods, bent at 90 deg work best.
+1 (yes folks, they do work)
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Wishing??

About 20 years ago, we were in the planning stages of building our first house on a 10 acre lot and were deciding where to locate the well. Bobby, our landlord at the time, said he could "dowse" or whatever its called. He claimed a fruit-wood limb worked best. We went out to our property (Bobby, DH, and I) to give it a try. It never worked for me, but DH (who was very skeptical) said he could feel a definite "pull".

Anyway, Bobby located a spot on our property that looked good to him but didn't tell us exactly where it was. He had DH try in the same general area, and DH located the same spot. That is where we put the well.

The good news: There was water there. Bad news: it was surface water and we had to drill much deeper to find usable water.

Color me skeptical but open minded.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Handyman

Wishing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
He claimed a fruit-wood limb worked best.
A fresh cut 'Y' shaped branch from a willow tree also works very well. Make sure both tangent limbs are the same size and hold them firmly. The dowsing end will pull down significantly where there is water..pretty creepy actually which is why I prefer something not 'alive'
Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Handyman

Wishing??

I showed my daughter this thread and she laughed. She said, "Dad, I didn't believe it until I saw it and tried it"...two of her friends tried also but it didn't work for them. So, I asked her to shoot a YouTube video to share. I will post it over the weekend if anyone is interested.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Wishing??

Don't know about dowsing, but 25 years ago we rented an old farmhouse. The septic tank was full and needed to be pumped. Someone had buried the whiole thing years before, I only knew the lid was somewhere in a one acre field. I walked out, stopped when it felt right and started to dig. About a foot down, I hit the center of the lid. Still don't know why I dug in that exact spot.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote