Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |

Wire mesh or Rebar and their requirements

We are a mail box company and we are trying to come up with some standards for installation of the mailbox on the concrete floor. Iam not an expert in this area so i need some help.

1) I want to find out which is better Wiremesh or Rebar.
2) And what are the specifications as to diameter, spacing etc for Wire mesh/ Rebar.

The mail box weight ranges from 125 to 150 Lbs mounted on a single pedestal which is in turn fastened to a base plate of 12''x 12'' that is fastened to the ground. The thickness of concrete may range from 4'' to 8'' with depth and width ranging from 40'' to 45''.

vk77usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #2

First off, I am not sure exactly what your situation is. Are you installing mail boxes on concrete pads, like at Post Offices, or what? You're best off to get an engineer's advice on this. That said, a 150 lb mail box won't even register as being there with any 4" concrete floor, mesh or rebar. In most homes, wire mesh is used (call a concrete supply place for the gauge of wire. 6" #9?), but if the house is large, or if in a garage where there will be heavy vehicles, then rebar is called for. EX: I will be installing a boiler that will have 1400 gallons of water in it, and has 2 skids down its 10' length that sit on the concrete. That is over 12,000 lbs in a 7' x 10' area. The 5" concrete floor will have #4 rebar (1/2") on one foot centers, in both directions. The engineer said not to add more rebar for the boiler. If people don't crack the concrete when they walk on it, a mail box sure won't. Good luck. john

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
vk77usa (05-18-2010)
Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #3

Thank you. And the answer to your question is yes it is similar to the post office or kind of mailboxes like in a housing area or an appartment. And i agree to your comment that a rebar is not required for something as light as a mailbox (150Lbs). As far as i have read in the other threads here on this website mesh installation is difficult and time consuming. So iam not sure what is right. Also do you have any input of Fiber Reinforced concrete.
vk77usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

This site exists for the purpose of assisting DIYers with work on their homes. A company that wants their specs written for them should hire an engineer or other professional to do so, and not solicit advice online for free. Your customers deserve more than that from you.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #5

Mesh is not difficult to install. It has been done millions of times, and now you can buy it in sheets instead of rolls. After the pour, someone needs, usually, to lift it a couple of inches so it is in the right place; usually about 1/3 of the way up into the concrete. Rebar takes a lot of time to tie in place, so it is not a cake walk, either. If you go w/ rebar, which you can spec if you'd like, #3 on 1' centers is both directions will hold a car. If you are worried, then #3 on 6 or 8" centers. I AM NOT AN ENGINEER; SEE ONE.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote