Who Owns A Toyota ? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

Who owns a Toyota ?

Another Yota crashed on Cape Cod today
Then a runaway Prius in the news here
Both cars were supposedly fixed already

Wife's Pontiac Vibe is covered by recall
Not liking this at all

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

Who owns a Toyota ?

I do, but not included in the recall.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Who owns a Toyota ?

This "unintended acceleration" problem has been going on for many years. A quarter century ago it was Ford, Mercedes, and Auto Union who made the headlines. Today it is Toyota.

There are multiple causes. One is simply operator error which the companies have worked to fix. Others are floor mat, rusty pedal hinges, interference in the linkage ... and more recently some concern about whether the sensors and their connection to the computer was adequately fail safe.

If you are in a full electronic Toyota and it happens, press the brakes and stay on them. Shift into neutral, even if it is an electronic shift. Don't worry about the engine, its rev limiter will probably save it. Then push the power button for a full three seconds to shut the engine down. That is the emergency routine to learn, but you most likely won't ever need it.

The incidence at Toyota is much smaller than the incidents 25 years ago and in the interim, but it has the press hopping with hopes to sell more papers.

BTW, if you are old fashioned and still have a manual transmission, just hit the clutch and brakes and you will be in control!

Rick
rdill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Who owns a Toyota ?

I don't think I need to worry about my Camry. It's 16 years old...
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Who owns a Toyota ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I do, but not included in the recall.
yet!
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

Who owns a Toyota ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
yet!
I forgot to add that part!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Who owns a Toyota ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I forgot to add that part!
this recall thing is really starting to snowball for Toyota. If I didn't know better, I would think one, or more, of the US manufacturers was pushing it.

as to a 16 you Yota being safe;

I'm trying to find the case where there is a guy that went to prison for killing a few people with his Yota. He claimed all along it was uncontrollable unintended acceleration.

Here is some of it.

a 1996 Camry. Let's see, that would make it 14 years old.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/24/w...ee-imprisoned/

I think they should recall and rebuild all Toyotas ever registered in the US.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #8

Who owns a Toyota ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
this recall thing is really starting to snowball for Toyota. If I didn't know better, I would think one, or more, of the US manufacturers was pushing it.

as to a 16 you Yota being safe;

I'm trying to find the case where there is a guy that went to prison for killing a few people with his Yota. He claimed all along it was uncontrollable unintended acceleration.

Here is some of it.

a 1996 Camry. Let's see, that would make it 14 years old.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/24/w...ee-imprisoned/

I think they should recall and rebuild all Toyotas ever registered in the US.
I think '95 or '96 was when they did a major modification of the Camry design. I never heard of a problem with my series ('94).

This whole Toyota situation reminds me of the Clancy novel, where some defective fuel tanks ultimately contributed to a war between Japan and the US.......

So many supplies and parts for Toyota's non-union factories are made by unionized U.S. providers. Plenty of fodder for conspiracy theorists, no?

Yota: "Brake, or brake not. There is no try."

Last edited by Itsdanf; 03-11-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #9

Who owns a Toyota ?

I will admit, that a GM car I own (an 88 olds cutlass ciera) has an unintended acceleration problem. It's completely random, and when it does decide to happen, it'll only happen while engaging the cruise control (again, IF it will pop up this is the only time it has a chance). The first time it happened, I crapped my pants. Hearing my car just dump it on its own was very surprising, but, there are at _least_ four failsafes for this:

a) tap the brake to disengage cruise
b) turn off cruise switch
c) if a and b fail (and none of those have failed yet), throw into neutral
d) oh how nice it is to have an actual key ignition system...if a,b, and c fail, then just turn the damn thing off! But don't do something stupid, such as setting the key completely to the off position, and then try to steer...guaranteed accident (ever tried steering with a locked wheel?)

GM: Mimicking Toyota in every way...except you can still slow down.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,342

Who owns a Toyota ?

My daughter just bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris last week.

Since her car accident (icy roads) in January, we've been driving her to school, work, etc. We kept saying, "It sure will be nice when we don't have to worry about driving her everywhere". Wrong. Now we worry about her driving her new car. Although it isn't on the list of recalls.

Like you guys said, "Yet".
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Who owns a Toyota ?

well, it appears some folks don't believe Mr. Sikes and his Prius story, especially the guy that posted this on a forum:
http://www.hobbub.com/news/james-sik...runaway-prius/

Quote:
mike- 10th Mar, 10 09:03pm
**FRAUD ALERT**
I don’t know Jim Sikes personally, but I do have a round-a-bout story about him that puts his credibility into question.
We were trying to buy a foreclosed house in San Diego last year. The previous owner (Jim and Patti Sikes….local realtors BTW) lost the house, but before giving posession back to the bank “someone” stole the ENTIRE kitchen out of the house……….Granite countertops, cabinets, appliances and even the lights!
They better be interrogating Mr. Sikes really hard!
the story as I have learned so far:

mrs. sikes claims their pedal stuck for just a second about 2 weeks prior to this incident. mr. sikes tried to take the car into the dealership for the sticking pedal recall and was told his car is not in the bunch with the sticking pedals. It is involved in the the mat under the pedal problem though but sikes continues to state his mat definitely was not stuck under the pedal.

a couple notes about sikes:

he is currently approximately $700k in debt and he had filed BK in 2008.

I listened to the entire 911 call. He did a real good job of ignoring everything the operator told him to do in an attempt to stop the car.

and what is really odd to me: in interviews, he mentioned several times about how he had to use 2 hands to control the car. Well, once the car gets to speed (as it was not really accelerating after about the first 1/2 - 1 minute apparently) is you just steer the thing. Controlling the car at 90 mph is not that different that controlling the car at 60 mph.

and on top of that, a Prius has something like 110 HP. Even when it was accelerating, even at full throttle, it isn't like he was trying to steer the space shuttle during take-off.

I know Toyota is inspecting this vehicle either already or in the very near future. I am really looking forward to their report on the thing.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Who owns a Toyota ?

'91 4Runner with 162,xxx miles, and a '06 Sienna with 54,xxx.

Love 'em.

By the way, my '91 Runner doesn't have INTENTIONAL acceleration that can do any damage. But it still runs.

I did wonder what unintentional acceleration felt like in the Prius.

I saw a commercial for Toyota this a.m. 0% financing for 60 months!!!
Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
computer repairs

Rewards Points: 10

Who owns a Toyota ?

I own two Toyota's. I the recall ones though.

~ Sam

Last edited by SamTHorn; 06-29-2010 at 01:44 PM.
SamTHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Who owns a Toyota ?

We have a Rav 4.... it's my fiances 3rd Toyota My fiance likes Toyotas, i personally like German cars. We'll probably look at another Toyota after this one too.

I'm sure there are a few of the Toyotas crashing out there right now that there might be some sort of problem with. The failure points are the fact that the cars have a push button start instead of a key, a drive-by-wire system instead of a throttle cable and an electronic transmission instead of a linkage one. These things make it "harder" but by no means impossible to stop the car.

As far as the Prius guy, I 100% do NOT believe this guy is telling the truth. First of all there are the shady circumstances surrounding his finances, but have you heard his 911 tape? The 911 operator asks him if he has tried putting the car in Neutral and he gets mad and tells her he's "trying to control the car". Let me get this straight buddy - you had enough excess brain power to make a phonecall and describe your whole situation to someone but putting the car in neutral is just beyond what you are capable of? Umm... OK.

I also got a kick out of the two 50 year old women who crashed their 2008 Rav4 from a dead stop through A: A store and B: A Wall. Guess what the 2008 Rav4 doesn't have.... no push-button start, no drive-by-wire and no electronic transmission. I call bad driver here.

Same thing happened to Audi in the 80's and it turned out to be driver error.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Who owns a Toyota ?

We have 2 Toyotas in the house. Both run excellent. Just bought the second one for LOML. I'm driving the old one.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote