Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #1

Share |

Where to find a roofer ?

whats a good place to find a roofer thats trustworthy? i went to the nrca website and got a couple different bids for my flat roof, but each roofer is suggesting something different. how do i know whos most correct?

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Mod

Where to find a roofer ?

The best way to find a good roofer or any other contractor for that matter is by word of mouth. Good experiences that family, friends, neighbors or trusted co-workers have had.

Next would be go to your local (been there forever) lumber yard or roofing supply company and ask for referrals.
Ask at the contractors desk not the cash register.

Only after all that fails should you hit the phone book.

Beware of Craigslist, Box Stores or any company that sends a 10 point salesman to your door.

As far as your conflicting bids, there are quite a few roofing experts here on this site. Post a new thread in the roofing section of this site with specific details of your situation and pictures if you can and they’ll be happy to answer your questions.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-21-2010 at 03:59 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

Where to find a roofer ?

i'm split on the phone book / craigslist comment. many business post ads on craigslist that are quite decent at what they do. the hard part of course is telling who's who. phone books are becoming a dead art with many businesses not even listing in them. you can always google your city and see who comes up. for example: portland oregon roofing' will bring up a few supply places and a couple of the larger contractors in my area. lastly, if there is a difference in opinion in the bids your getting, post the question on here. there are a few really good roofers in the roofing forum that will explain what you're seeing.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

Where to find a roofer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
The best way to find a good roofer or any other contractor for that matter is by word of mouth. Good experiences that family, friends, neighbors or trusted co-workers have had.

Next would be go to your local (been there forever) lumber yard or roofing supply company and ask for referrals.
Ask at the contractors desk not the cash register.

Only after all that fails should you hit the phone book.

Beware of Craigslist, Box Stores or any company that sends a 10 point salesman to your door.

As far as your conflicting bids, there are quite a few roofing experts here on this site. Post a new thread in the roofing section of this site with specific details of your situation and pictures if you can and they’ll be happy to answer your questions.
thanks for the input. i am going to call bradco supply and see if i can get some references. thread i just made last night-appreciate if you take a look My Flat roof project-help!
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Mod

Where to find a roofer ?

Mods should merge the threads.