Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #1

Share |

What's your oldest band/concert t-shirt?

I'm doing my yearly clean out of old clothes and just came across my Frankie Say Relax t-shirt from the first concert I ever went to.

I haven't worn it in at least a decade for a number of reasons but no way am I letting it go.

Which band/concert tee have you held on to the longest and why?
ptnjust007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
JOATMON

I must be old...the only Frankie I know of is Frankie Avalon....and I never collected concert t-shirts.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

James Gang, 68 or 69

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Jefferson Airplane (never would own a Starship one). Same era as Chris I suspect but coming at music from different sides of the country. My dangerous days were spent first in San Francisco but with maturity shifted to the Monterey Jazz Festival. The airplane shirt is hand tie dyed and silk screened over the top somewhere in San Francisco by people in no condition to be working a simple silk screen frame.

For some reason the size M just seems smaller or something. If it were a real magical tee shirt it would still fit right? It is folded up in a box in a closet somewhere. I should have taken better care of it so thanks for this post.

As mentioned on this site before, my significant other of many, many years had a cousin who was the accountant for the Bill Graham concert organization. We took tee-shirts and posters, even signed ones, for granted to the point I hate to say it but some nice ones ended up paint rags. Wish I had known and saved them.

The technology has changed with leanings toward DTG (Direct to Garment) printing. It is rather like your inkjet printer but the machines spit CMYK color dyes in combination onto fabric---shirts, hoodies, drapery material. Beautiful looking and decent quality cotton tees shirts are being cranked out here for like $6 in full color with only a week lead time and a minimum order of just one. A set of close registered "silk" screens and the color separations to make them went for a few grand in the day. The DTG shirts are not the same as the art form silk screened tee shirts of the day for music and art. They don't even smell the same when new. But you know, young Indy bands can afford them and I see young ones wearing some really cool DTG stuff.

Ah well. Progress. I do remember as an agency production manager trying to guess what sizes, and how many in each size, of shirts to run once the color screens were loaded. That is all gone. You just order the size you need now.

I do remember the days when it was almost as cool to have a Moody Blues album cover and shirt as the 33 and a third piece of vinyl inside of it? I represented illustrators and photographers at a point that lusted for album cover work even though it paid poorly. Knowing this square piece of art would be in the hands of millions or more if it all went platinum made a big difference. Wish I had saved albums and album covers too.

Last edited by user1007; 12-29-2011 at 05:09 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ptnjust007 (12-30-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #5

Iron Maiden "World Piece Tour" (that was like 1986?)

I keep it because
- It's COOL!
- It always gets double takes and comments when I wear it (only for Maiden shows). One fellow offered me $75 cash off my back. I laughed at him.
- IT STILL FITS
Head_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

[quote=sdsester;806234]Jefferson Airplane (never would own a Starship one). Same era as Chris I suspect but coming at music from different sides of the country. My dangerous days were spent first in San Francisco but with maturity shifted to the Monterey Jazz Festival. The airplane shirt is hand tie dyed and silk screened over the top somewhere in San Francisco by people in no condition to be working a simple silk screen frame.

For some reason the size M just seems smaller or something. If it were a real magical tee shirt it would still fit right? It is folded up in a box in a closet somewhere. I should have taken better care of it so thanks for this post.

As mentioned on this site before, my significant other of many, many years had a cousin who was the accountant for the Bill Graham concert organization. We took tee-shirts and posters, even signed ones, for granted to the point I hate to say it but some nice ones ended up paint rags. Wish I had known and saved them.

The technology has changed with leanings toward DTG (Direct to Garment) printing. It is rather like your inkjet printer but the machines spit CMYK color dyes in combination onto fabric---shirts, hoodies, drapery material. Beautiful looking and decent quality cotton tees shirts are being cranked out here for like $6 in full color with only a week lead time and a minimum order of just one. A set of close registered "silk" screens and the color separations to make them went for a few grand in the day. The DTG shirts are not the same as the art form silk screened tee shirts of the day for music and art. They don't even smell the same when new. But you know, young Indy bands can afford them and I see young ones wearing some really cool DTG stuff.

Ah well. Progress. I do remember as an agency production manager trying to guess what sizes, and how many in each size, of shirts to run once the color screens were loaded. That is all gone. You just order the size you need now.

I do remember the days when it was almost as cool to have a Moody Blues album cover and shirt as the 33 and a third piece of vinyl inside of it? I represented illustrators and photographers at a point that lusted for album cover work even though it paid poorly. Knowing this square piece of art would be in the hands of millions or more if it all went platinum made a big difference. Wish I had saved albums and album covers too.[/quote]

I still have all the vinyl but none of the t-shirts survived. I don't think the airplane did the east coast back then,and as you said starship just should have never happened

Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

[quote=chrisn;806632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I still have all the vinyl but none of the t-shirts survived. I don't think the airplane did the east coast back then,and as you said starship just should have never happened
The real reason I moved from California promising to never return was because of the J Starship "We Built This City on Rock and Roll Cut" or whatever the horrid studio mixed cut was called. They did not!!!!!

The whole airplane never did make it your way but Gracie Slick did, for Woodstock. It really was the West Coast's way of suggesting we could all be friends you know.

When the intersection of Haight and Ashbury finally mellowed after it became extremely dangerous, the bay area had moved on to a fusion sort of mix. In addition to the Monterey Jazz festival (the bay two hours south of San Francisco) I remember seeing Bob James and his crowd across the Bay Bridge in Oakland. Great concert.

Hendrix was dead. Momma Cass was a goner. The owner of the recording studio made it but was found so coked out of his mind it took him awhile to figure out where he was in the World. He sent all invested in the studio up his nose.

I just ran out of enthusiasm for most all illegal substances when I rescued a best friend richer than God in Paris (a City I will always hate). To this day he is the closest thing I have to a brother. He was fine until he started using what he was selling. I wasn't sure I could pull him off it all. And my sister was going crazy and gatewaying her we up to the top class of opiates.

It was an era until it turned dark and evil people started lacing plentiful bags of green stuff that looked like oregano with strange chemicals. The green stuff will never be a gateway substance, in my opinion, but for the people currently selling it in places. Still laced with chemicals.

Of course it all can be traced back to rock music and the tee shirts that went with it. I am pleased I transitioned to jazz, fusion and always loved and studied classical music as much as rock. I am also pleased that my ears are well tuned, that I got to spend time around recording studios, and that I know better to be in ChrisN's hoods when he puts his vinyl on one of those old drop down record holders that took a stack of five albums, tossed the tone arm off balance and all. Bet Chris is still using the stylus for the records he got in 1968!? It is amazingly hard to find nice tone arms things like the stylus anymore. The USB turntables are hilarious?

I own a three CD refresher Spanish set and that is it. Not proud of it but necessarily but all my albums, cassettes, eight tracks and all are gone. I pay $10-20 or something a month and can download absolutely anything I can remember liking.

Last edited by user1007; 12-29-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #8

Led Zepplin - 1977 is my oldest
I have fond memories of going to the Led Zepplin concert in Cleveland Ohio.
My brothers were suppose to be babysitting me long story shot I went and one of their friends didn't.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenworks View Post
Led Zepplin - 1977 is my oldest
I have fond memories of going to the Led Zepplin concert in Cleveland Ohio.
My brothers were suppose to be babysitting me long story shot I went and one of their friends didn't.
Zepplin was cool and right in their with Jethro Tull and all as I remember. Of course Cincinnati is the only place to really see fire works, not on the 4th but on Labor Day. They light the bridges on fire and explode stuff you will never see elsewhere from barges on the river. Guess which Zepplin era band leads it of with "Smoke on the Water". The rest of the fireworks go on for hours thanks to the influence of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.

Really kids, it is the most amazing fireworks show in America. And it is free should you ever happen to be around the Cincy.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

know better to be in ChrisN's hoods when he puts his vinyl on one of those old drop down record holders that took a stack of five albums, tossed the tone arm off balance and all. Bet Chris is still using the stylus for the records he got in 1968!? It is amazingly hard to find nice tone arms things like the stylus anymore.

Actually, I still have an old Pioneer turntable that you manually put one record at a time on and also have to manually put the tone arm on. I did find a new cartridge and stylus for it on the Internet about five years ago and bought all 3 they had. My wife got me a new Tascam CD professional CD burner devise that will burn a CD from any source that goes through the amp. It does not filter anything , so you get what comes off the old record.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Chris Polderbits out of Germany makes my fave sound capture and editing software and it is not expensive. Should you ever want to clean up what you get off the turntable it is great and the user interface nice. I never understood why but it will also allow you to add pops and crackles. The software will let you store converted music files in just about any format you can imagine.

http://www.polderbits.com/

Of course the irony in all this is that CDs were once thought to be the ultimate as far as archival storage. Not so. Taken care of, your vinyl collection will outlast them by a longshot.

Glad you were able to find decent cartridges/styli. The old Pioneer turntables were sweet and just about the best you could buy as a regular home stereo system owner without turning audiophile and climbing into pro gear. As I remember, once you strobed them and set the speed and balanced the tone arm you never had to do much to them but replace the cartridge every 500,000 miles unless you moved.

Last edited by user1007; 12-30-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Chris Polderbits out of Germany makes my fave sound capture and editing software and it is not expensive. Should you ever want to clean up what you get off the turntable it is great and the user interface nice. I never understood why but it will also allow you to add pops and crackles. The software will let you store converted music files in just about any format you can imagine.

http://www.polderbits.com/

Of course the irony in all this is that CDs were once thought to be the ultimate as far as archival storage. Not so. Taken care of, your vinyl collection will outlast them by a longshot.

Glad you were able to find decent cartridges/styli. The old Pioneer turntables were sweet and just about the best you could buy as a regular home stereo system owner without turning audiophile and climbing into pro gear. As I remember, once you strobed them and set the speed and balanced the tone arm you never had to do much to them but replace the cartridge every 500,000 miles unless you moved.

You got that right!

This old pioneer has gone through countless records and as you said once you get it set you never have to mess with it unless you moved( only once for me). I had friends that went audiophile and had very expensive turntables, amps, speakers and they sounded good but for the money,in my mind I really could not hear the difference, except for really good speakers.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
ltd

sester ,and chrisn,you guys gotta give starship another listen ,i think red octopus is a very under rated album grace slick could sing 60ties bubble gum and still rock it
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
KemoSabe

I don't have any of my old shirts, because I wore them thread bare.

I did find a pic of one of mine recently. Memorial Day picnic 1984, rockin' the YES tee.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your oldest band/concert t-shirt?-001.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
I don't have any of my old shirts, because I wore them thread bare.

I did find a pic of one of mine recently. Memorial Day picnic 1984, rockin' the YES tee.
It takes courage to post a picture like that. Wish you still had that hair?

Tags
t-shirt