What's In A Name? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

What's In A Name?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/na...65379510192938

Quote:
A judge in eastern Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's first name to Martin from "Messiah.''

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, saying Messiah is a title that has been earned by one person "and that one person is Jesus Christ.''

According to WBIR-TV, the parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name. When the judge heard his first name, she ordered it changed, so the baby was "Martin DeShawn McCullough.''

That name includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, says she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.
I guess if you really feel the need to be 'different'.

With that said...while I think it's a poor choice for a name...the judge does not have the right to force them to change it.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

What's In A Name?

Quote:
.the judge does not have the right to force them to change it.
Are you sure? I honsetly don't know the answer to this, but... don't be so quick to say "the judge doesn't have the right." Maybe "the judge SHOULDN'T have the right," but... you'd probably be amazed what they do have the right to make you do.

Advertisement

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
JOATMON

What's In A Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
Are you sure? I honsetly don't know the answer to this, but... don't be so quick to say "the judge doesn't have the right." Maybe "the judge SHOULDN'T have the right," but... you'd probably be amazed what they do have the right to make you do.
I don't think there is any legal standing to support her position. While I agree with her 'wanting' it changed, I don't think she has the judicial power to do so.

I suspect his decision will be overturned on appeal...hopefully by then the parents will come to their senses...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

What's In A Name?

Last I knew, the law only prohibited you from naming your child a number. So the judge was out of line.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,472

What's In A Name?

The issue of the babies name was placed before the court.
The Judge was ordered the change of the last name from Martin to McCollough which was the point of contention.
The only question is did she overstep by changing the first name as well ?

I also wonder what the mother would be saying if the Judge had removed the middle name DeShawn and substituted Martin (the mother's last name) there ?
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

What's In A Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
The only question is did she overstep by changing the first name as well ?
Since according to the article, the SSA says Messiah was the 4th most popular baby first name of 2012. The parents/mother can show precedence.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What's In A Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Since according to the article, the SSA says Messiah was the 4th most popular baby first name of 2012. The parents/mother can show precedence.
Actually SSA said it was ~387, not 4 but same difference. It was the fourth fast rising name up the list so that is perhaps the confusion. I think Jesus was around 112 or so by the way. Most names actually have religious roots or meanings although not all Christian.

I saw an interesting article paralleling this a few minutes ago that drove home the point parents should be careful. Such names are a way of guessing, with reasonable accuracy, minority heritage and provide an easy way to discriminate just on names across tops of resumes later in life. Not that such things happen in our country anymore or will when little Messiah Martin reaches legal working age.

Meanwhile, the judge does not have the right or power to inflict her religious beliefs on others by ordering a first name change of the child. And she knew it. For whatever reason she just wanted her 15 minutes of fame.

At least they didn't name him after cutesy compass points and something really stupid like North West. Of course he has the Kardashian PR machine to keep explaining his parents choices.

Last edited by user1007; 08-12-2013 at 05:58 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

What's In A Name?

Quote:
Actually SSA said it was ~387, not 4 but same difference. It was the fourth fast rising name up the list so that is perhaps the confusion.

Thanks for the catch.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

What's In A Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

I saw an interesting article paralleling this a few minutes ago that drove home the point parents should be careful. Such names are a way of guessing, with reasonable accuracy, minority heritage and provide an easy way to discriminate just on names across tops of resumes later in life.
Yeah. I've read that as well. It's something for parents to consider when naming their children.

About the OP, while I would certainly not name any child of mine Messiah, I don't think the court or anyone else that's not a parent/legal guardian should determine what a child's name should be. I understand that the court was stepping in to arbitrate a dispute about last names, so I have no issue with that, however, the first name was not an issue with either parent, so it should not have been with the court.

If the child does not like their name, they're free to change it when they are of age to do so.
venator260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
JOATMON

What's In A Name?

When we named our kids we used the "PA Test".....how does the name sound over the school PA?

So...we all agree....the courts have no business telling people what they can name their kids.....and some parents are just idiots.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (08-13-2013), gma2rjc (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

What's In A Name?

Good thing she doesn't work in a Spanish area--Jesus is a very common first name----
Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
JOATMON

What's In A Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Good thing she doesn't work in a Spanish area--Jesus is a very common first name----
It's pronounced "Hey-Zus"...the big difference is that Jesus is a real name..."Messiah'' is a description.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

What's In A Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
It's pronounced "Hey-Zus"...the big difference is that Jesus is a real name..."Messiah'' is a description.
According to the SSA... not anymore.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

What's In A Name?

Here's an older story that continues today.
The judge did not change the kids name.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/repo...ticle-1.371485
Old 08-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,054

What's In A Name?

What do you mean?!?
No "numbers", for a name -
My name is "666"!

Go figure?!?

Advertisement

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (08-13-2013), oh'mike (08-13-2013)