What's Involved With A Land Survey? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 42

What's involved with a land survey?

I received an estimate for a land survey to define a border with a neighbor. The survey stakes are already there buried. I thought it would be a simple thing but the estimate came back at $1600. So my question is not if you think its a fair estimate, its just what is involved in a survey that makes it cost so much.

Advertisement

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,546

Your land stakes may mean nothing. They have to begin at a known good reference point and start measuring. Who know how far from your property that reference point is.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

A true land survey involves deed research going back to the original platting of the land, which can be hundreds of years old. In many cases, the boundary is not obvious, there may be conflicting data that has to be resolved. This is not usually a simple matter of finding a few pins and declaring victory, often there are multiple, conflicting pins, missing pins, improperly placed markers etc., all of which has to be evaluated and a professional judgement rendered about where the true boundary lies.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 622

I had my 2 ± acre lot surveyed 3 years ago for $1200.00. They located and verified the front corner pins. From the fronts they located, measured and verified the rear pins. I had them install one pin in the center of the back line and two intermediate pins where a ravine bisects the property. They measured and notated my house, outer garage and bridge on the survey.
When done they provided me with (2) certified copies and had one recorded at the county land office.
Verifing found pins to be correct can be time consuming.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I received an estimate for a land survey to define a border with a neighbor. The survey stakes are already there buried. I thought it would be a simple thing but the estimate came back at $1600. So my question is not if you think its a fair estimate, its just what is involved in a survey that makes it cost so much.
May or may not be fair.

I live in a city and it cost me 300 about 5 years ago.

As others have stated, the surveyor has to locate a known point and proceed from there. May or may not be time consuming.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote