Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
CNMDESIGN.COM

Rewards Points: 75

Whatís wrong with my new Business?

Iíve had well over 2500 visits to my site this year. 1750 since 1 April. Many were from this site.
This question is for those who have seen my site already or would like to help out.
Do you think there is just no need for a business like this?
Do I charge to much?
Is the site all wrong?
Whatís your opinion?
http://cnmdesign.com/page25.php
http://cnmdesign.com/page26.php
http://cnmdesign.com/page27.php
Thankís

Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Well, I don't see a single picture of anything that you have built/or the product??
There are people who have been building decks for decades
Many of these people do not have enough work
In today's economy that is who you are competing against

And decks seem to be the one DIY project that people will undertake
So I doubt you will get much business from a DIY site

And mixing carpentry with selling Pillows?

I have no idea on the pricing, I've never added up the costs of my decks or calc'd per sq ft

And what does the white couch main pic have to do with what you sell ?

Just my honest opinion of what stuck out to me........

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
CNMDESIGN.COM

Thanks for the feed back.

C N M Design was started by me and my wife. Craig N Missy. We can’t afford to run a site for all of our services. Each service is a subsidiary of C N M Design. The home organizing and crafts are my wife’s. The deck business and Bio Hazard clean up business is mine. Clean up and crafts business are doing ok. I did my own site and the 5yr host plan doesn’t run that much. I also run adds in the local paper. The picture has more to do with the home organizing side of the house we started out with.

95% of the people who visit our site already have heard of our services and are looking for more information. That's why the brochure format. Most of our advertising is through word of mouth or the local paper. We also pass out about 100 business cards on average each month. One for each service (depending on what service the person I’m talking to needs) and one we just leave every where, that has all of our services on it. Not trying to get business off this site. Just looking for new ideas. It does us no good to get clients’ that are to far out of the local area. Say 50 miles. My wife has sold products out of state.

Last edited by CNM Design; 09-07-2009 at 08:46 PM.
CNM Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 558

The major problem I see is that you are catering to two distinct markets on the same web site.

Missy by design products and your shell casing display have internet sales possibilities. The other pages are services and have a local market. Find your niche market and redesign your site and expand it with similar products.

If you do nothing else, I would eliminate the biohazard page. You might mention this service on your home cleaning solutions page. This has a negative connotation and will turn visitors from your site.

Major search engines offer low pay per click. I would put most of my effort and money with Google, then MSN. Develop key words and plaster them on specific pages. This will increase the relevance (page rank) your site will appear higher with the free search engines.

Contact information on every page.

Photos of products/completed projects.

Get rid of the counter.

With the world one click away, keep the site simple to navigate and easy to use.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would have to agree with the other posts that you are trying to do too much on one site.

When I first saw the white couch, etc pic on top, and then saw the very countryish pillows, that was very surprising as at first glance it seems you deal with modern design.

And mentioning the biohazard stuff.........too much information.......I did not like that at all.

It would make me question your quality of work since you are all over the map.

Just my 2 cents.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,132

If I were a potential customer, as mentioned in previous posts, I would also be looking for pictures of decks you've already built. Before and after pictures on each individual business page would show the quality of work you do.

Perhaps you could add a FAQ section. Here are a few things I wondered about as I was reading. Will the deck be damaged when the ground freezes and thaws? Why don't I need a permit? Are stairs, handrails, railings, etc. an added cost?

It doesn't bother me to see the other businesses listed on the same site.

Instead of the couch, I would do a horizontal row of pictures across the top of the home page. There would be one picture to represent each business.

I like the idea of paying by the square foot. A customer can get an idea of how large they can build their deck before they even call you.

JMO
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
CNMDESIGN.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
If I were a potential customer, as mentioned in previous posts, I would also be looking for pictures of decks you've already built. Before and after pictures on each individual business page would show the quality of work you do.

Perhaps you could add a FAQ section. Here are a few things I wondered about as I was reading. Will the deck be damaged when the ground freezes and thaws? Why don't I need a permit? Are stairs, handrails, railings, etc. an added cost?

It doesn't bother me to see the other businesses listed on the same site.

Instead of the couch, I would do a horizontal row of pictures across the top of the home page. There would be one picture to represent each business.

I like the idea of paying by the square foot. A customer can get an idea of how large they can build their deck before they even call you.

JMO

I pre manufacture three different size sections at my home. You order the size and number of sections you want, to make up the size of deck you would like. I then bring them to your home, bolt them together and anchor them down. According to City Hall, there is no permits or special engineering required for structures like this. This platform decking and frame is made from 2 x 6 lumber and floats on top the ground. Itís only 7 or 8 inches from the top where you stand to the ground. Freezing is no concern. Hand rails are required on decks over 36in high. They also stated that as long as the structure does not become a permanent part of the property or home, no taxes will be assessed.

Thanks for commenting.