What I Think Is A Funny Story. - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 678

What I think is a funny story.

Many years ago when I first started I was hired to just hang some doors and trim for a local realitor on a spec home he was building.
The first day the guy that does both wiring and the HVAC shows up and is running around the house screaming and cussing, stomping his feet.
The sheetrockers had covered over about 1/2 the outlets, if they were not covered over they had used so much mud around the boxes all you could see was about a 1" hole, they had rocked right over the opening into the attic.
Never cut out the doorway to the mecanical room.
Rocked right over the holes for the duct work.
Every window and door way had sheetrock sticking out about 1" past the R/O.

He had hired someone that had never done siding before and did not really even want to do the job.
He did not use any siding blocks, the wires for all the outlets and lights were just sticking out of the siding, and not even where the lap is so a flush mounted block could be used.
Every outside corner was to long or two short.
Used cut siding and never made a factory cut so they would over lap, he just butted them.
Used no flashing on an attached deck.
Attached one post on the deck right to the siding.

In our area it's code for the foundation vents to be at least 12" above finished grade. They had installed all of them 12" above rough grade.
So once the grading was done there going to be under ground or 1/2 covered up.
He never back filled the foundation before building the decking so there was 2' deep trenches, no outside or outside drains.
Under the house the main beam was not even touching the piers.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Sounds like a typical builder in my area. Once put vinyl in the kitchen in a new house, the outside wall ran out 5" in the last 5 feet. He forgot to put the dormer in. None of the doorways were the same size and none would take a standard door. All the vinyl siding was nailed tight and buckled. The wall behind the kitchen cabinets touched the cabinets at both ends in the back and ther was a 3" gap behind in the middle. The stairs slanted to the side. They were 1 1/2" lower on the open side than the wall side. etc. And he is still building new houses 15 years later.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

I get busted all the time on here because I tend to over critisize someone elses work.
Well in my latter years that was my job.
I had to make up the punch list before the home owner ever got to make one.
When I get hired by people that trust me to come inspect a home there thinking about buying it's pretty bad when they have fellen into the realitor suggesting someone to inspected it ploy and there is nothing bad found on there report.
It's bad when I'm already making notes while still in the truck of stuff I can already see.
A hole in the wall where a dryer vent had been with just duct tape over it right on the front of the house.
One of those turbin vents that was just installed right over the shingles with tar all over it.
Sagging roof around a sky light or chimmney.
One of the biggest tip offs is when vinyl siding was installed over old siding and it's already sagging in the middle of the house. Gee you think something is still failing behind that siding they tryed to cover up?
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
tinner666 (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038
Talking

One of my funniest was the woman that cussed me out for not 'flashing' her wall. I flatout refused to do it. She insisted it only needed flashing.

PS, the pic with the downspout? The lower section is 'plumb'.

I had tripped over the old pix the other day and just scanned them for your enjoyment. It's a 2-story addition.
Attached Thumbnails
What I think is a funny story.-moving-building.jpg   What I think is a funny story.-moving-building-2-.jpg  
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
for a local realitor on a spec home he was building....
I found it to be a funny story indeed...it's the reason why I always give a little chuckle when I drive my new developments and all the pretty signs and balloons flying. No matter what the signs actually say, I always seem to read "Cheap Houses for sale, figuretively and literally".
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
And he is still building new houses 15 years later.
And for the exact same reason Walmart is one of the largest companies in the world. Alot of people clearly choose cheap and crappy over priced right and done right...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #7

Gee you think that "foundation" is failing a little bit?
I see that kind of poop all the time.
Someone has an old wooden stoop sitting on just 2, 4 X 4's and figure what the heck lets build us an addition.
Looks like they even left off the inside corner when running the siding.
I just finished fixing one like that.
They had just nailed a 2 X 4 right through the siding and started building the wall. They had filled all the gaps with expanding foam.
Newspaper for insulation, no nailers in the corners for drywall, 1/4 plywood right over the old decking board for an underlayment, 3/8 drywall on the ceiling. And about a dozen other things.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I get busted all the time on here because I tend to over critisize someone elses work.
Well in my latter years that was my job.
I had to make up the punch list before the home owner ever got to make one.
When I get hired by people that trust me to come inspect a home there thinking about buying it's pretty bad when they have fellen into the realitor suggesting someone to inspected it ploy and there is nothing bad found on there report.
It's bad when I'm already making notes while still in the truck of stuff I can already see.
A hole in the wall where a dryer vent had been with just duct tape over it right on the front of the house.
One of those turbin vents that was just installed right over the shingles with tar all over it.
Sagging roof around a sky light or chimmney.
One of the biggest tip offs is when vinyl siding was installed over old siding and it's already sagging in the middle of the house. Gee you think something is still failing behind that siding they tryed to cover up?
This reminded me of the real estate agent we had when we were looking for a house to buy.

One house he showed us was a "3" bedroom. Out of the 3, you couldn't have really counted any of them as a real bedroom. The one on the main floor was so small that it would have only held a single bed, if you wanted room to walk. No room for a dresser.

Upstairs there was one large bedroom, but to get to the other bedroom up there, you had to walk through that room. The other room was only large enough to hold a baby crib and a dresser.

As we were leaving the house, we told the agent that we weren't interested.

When we got outside, he pointed at an old garage that had big old barn-style doors that opened out, the way french doors open. It was not attached to the house and wasn't in great shape. He said that we should buy the house and fix-up the garage for the girls (my two 6th grade daughters) to have their own space.... they would live in it.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #9

tinner666, have you ever driven by that house to see if the addition is still there? Or if they've added a wider piece of flashing?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #10

That thing needed an acordian pleat like they use on the really long buses.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

I was nearby a month ago and couldn't remember which street it's on. I looked though.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #12

Just look for the house with the huge gap in the back wall.

This reminds me of the episode of Holmes on Homes where a woman and her 3 friends were standing on her second story deck on the back of her house and it broke free from the house and crashed to the ground. All of the ladies were hurt.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

I lived in a new housing development from 78 to 83 and the little overhang front porches started falling off. They had nailed through flat 2 x 4s with #8 nails. Didn't leave much sticking into the house.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #14

That's pretty scary rusty. I hope the guy who built them isn't in business anymore.

A few years ago, my cousin was at a friends' apartment in Chicago. There was a balcony that a lot of people were standing on. That same weekend, a few blocks away, there were a bunch of people on a balcony almost identical to it that fell off of a building. I don't recall how many people were hurt or killed.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
That's pretty scary rusty. I hope the guy who built them isn't in business anymore.
Probably is, he built a bunch of different housing developments when I lived in K.C.

Advertisement