Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

Share |

what does a basement cost?

I am in a residential suburb of St. Louis, MO. I am contemplating extending the back of the house 15 feet and am trying to get a handle on the limits of practicality. The back of the house is ~27 feet wide (exterior dimension). The extension is going to be ~26 feet wide to match the 25 foot wide interior space. I was going to make the foundation 24 feet wide because the excavation is going to be squeezed between the property line and a paved driveway. Part of the plan is to preserve a back basement door that would be dead center under the extension. I was going to run two walls under the extension to create a walkway to the back of the extension and then put steps to the surface. Then it occurred to me that by building the two walls of the tunnel, I would have essentially built the two walls of a basement.

Questions: How much would one expect to spend to have a contractor come in, dig a hole, pour a footing about 6 to 7 feet down, place drain around footing, pour a foundation 7 feet high, insulate, water proof, pour gravel bed, pour and finish concrete floor, and add a flight of step out the back ~6 ft high? No floor drain. No plumbing. How long would it take? How do you get rid of the dirt?

I'm just looking for an order of magnitude WAG. Round thousands of dollars. Days, weeks or months. And whatever measure is used for getting rid of 80 yards of dirt?

PS: In order to provide a benchmark, same questions (except getting rid of the dirt) using the same guidelines but with a crawlspace. Forget the stairs for now.

Last edited by mwpiper; 04-23-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Adding more (just like my project!)
mwpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #2

Moved to off-topic since not a DIY question
Best bet is to get local quotes as prices vary by area & job
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #3

no way...know way... to help here.. to many variables...soil conditions / water table... etc...

Sorry... hire local engr /archt or design build contractor.

good call Dave...
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwpiper View Post
I am in a residential suburb of St. Louis, MO. I am contemplating extending the back of the house 15 feet and am trying to get a handle on the limits of practicality. The back of the house is ~27 feet wide (exterior dimension). The extension is going to be ~26 feet wide to match the 25 foot wide interior space. I was going to make the foundation 24 feet wide because the excavation is going to be squeezed between the property line and a paved driveway. Part of the plan is to preserve a back basement door that would be dead center under the extension. I was going to run two walls under the extension to create a walkway to the back of the extension and then put steps to the surface. Then it occurred to me that by building the two walls of the tunnel, I would have essentially built the two walls of a basement.

Questions: How much would one expect to spend to have a contractor come in, dig a hole, pour a footing about 6 to 7 feet down, place drain around footing, pour a foundation 7 feet high, insulate, water proof, pour gravel bed, pour and finish concrete floor, and add a flight of step out the back ~6 ft high? No floor drain. No plumbing. How long would it take? How do you get rid of the dirt?

I'm just looking for an order of magnitude WAG. Round thousands of dollars. Days, weeks or months. And whatever measure is used for getting rid of 80 yards of dirt?

PS: In order to provide a benchmark, same questions (except getting rid of the dirt) using the same guidelines but with a crawlspace. Forget the stairs for now.
(Nathan and Dave, again an OP is asking, so I think I'm ok responding as follows. Please delete this if I violate the site's TOU.)

mwpiper,

I do construction estimating for a living, and I own a contracting company. The guys here are absolutely right that the most accurate way to get a price is to contact some local contractors. If you're just looking for budget numbers within a range of conditions, I can help. Click on the "Project Estimating Service" in my signature line below, and e-mail me a way to get in touch with you.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote