Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
uva uvam videndo variafit

Share |

What to Do

I love where I live. I love my house. I love the people. I love the climate. I love the area. However, I need a job change and there is little opportunity for me in this area. My old company in MD (Yes, Leah, MD) has asked me to come back several times since I left. They did once more this past week and the offer is awful tough to turn down and I will enjoy the change in work. The problem is:

1. I can't buy the kinda house that I have now.
2. There is little or NO snow in Central MS at all.
3. Shorter summers.
4. More traffic.
5. Land is scarce.

I believe the right decision is to take the job, but it's going to be hard to take my heart out of MS or even the Southeast. I guess everyone has their preference - some like the big cities and some like the country. I just love the South and all that I can think is to make some cash and run back down here in 5-10 years. I'll take 100 degrees everyday over cold and snow. I wasn't born here, but that was my parents' mistake, not ,mine.

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

What to Do

Work to live, not live to work, so unless you really can't find a job locally, then I'd stay.

It would take a pretty serious job offer to get me to move out of my current house. I actually have lot of work I want to do on it, our winters can hit -50C so it's not perfect or anything, but I like where I am and would not move for just a job. Then again a job is what you spend over half of your time doing, so you also want something you like. Tough decision for sure.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

What to Do

You have to do what makes you happy. I was offered a very good job in Australia a few years ago and have very little work now. But 9 of my 12 grandkids live within a couple miles of my house. There are more important things than money.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Tileguy

What to Do

"12"
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

What to Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
"12"
And one great grandchild.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

What to Do

I guess I should emphasize that I can't stand my superiors (most of them) at my current company....almost to the point of hating their guts and their livers...
Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
DIY staff

What to Do

Tough decision---Working for butt heads will shorten your life----

Might not be a bad idea to get out of the job. If north is the only option---north just might be the way to go.

Tough decision----but at least you have a choice----some don't.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #8

What to Do

G,

Just my $0.02 but I've chosen my personal life over my professional and have yet to regret it. I now live 40 mins out of town in a nice house across the street from a lake with a built in shop on 3/4 of an acre, as opposed to living in a condo downtown and having to carry my tools up and down 5 flights of stairs every night and morning.

I've been refused employment as a service plumber due to the potential costs in gas (I was told that directly more than once), but if that's their criteria then perhaps I don't want to work for nickel and dimers.

Back when I worked in an office I was once in a similar situation to yours, hating my co-workers, I ended up trying to ruin my liver and decided that I'd had enough after 4 years and moved to this more idyllic, less potential opportunity, locale. I haven't had a regular paycheck/employer in 18 months and sometimes it's pretty hard, but I have the full support of a great partner who happens to have a pretty good & secure (read:government) job. Occasionally I do regret leaving the 'Big Smoke' and all the potential it has to offer, but having lived over there for 7 years (Vancouver) I couldn't imagine having & being able to afford the life I do now in a big city.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Learning by Doing

What to Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I love where I live. I love my house. I love the people. I love the climate. I love the area. However, I need a job change and there is little opportunity for me in this area. My old company in MD (Yes, Leah, MD) has asked me to come back several times since I left.

1. I can't buy the kinda house that I have now.
2. There is little or NO snow in Central MS at all.
3. Shorter summers.
4. More traffic.
5. Land is scarce.
First of all. The Mason-Dixon line forms the northern border of the Free State Depending on where your job offer is - this IS the South. Even suburban Maryland (around DC) retains some of the southern charm you find in more rural parts of the state.

Again, depending on where your job will take you:
1. I can't buy the kinda house that I have now. - There are lots of good deals in real estate out there. Again, depends on your area.

2. There is little or NO snow in Central MS at all. - For the large part accumulation of snow is an aberration around these parts. Most of the time it snows overnight and is gone by noon.

3. Shorter summers. - :LOL: G - can't tell you how many summers start here in April and go 'til October. The forecast for most of the summer: the three H's. Hot Humid and Hazy.

4. More traffic. - yup - not much where I live, but yes in the cities. Some of the worst drivers in the USA. I'm embarrassed to be one. But I was born and raised and learned to drive in Virginia.

5. Land is scarce. - I the mountains/foothills of MD and on the Eastern Shore you can get land.

"I love where I live. I love my house. I love the people. I love the climate. I love the area. " All of this sums up how I feel about living in Easton, Maryland.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #10

What to Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
First of all. The Mason-Dixon line forms the ....
i know, I used to live up that way - 3 years in Frederick, MD and 5 years in the Eastern panhandle of WV. My old company is located a little South of Frederick. so I would have to return to the same area to keep the commute down.

What I meant about the house is my house is: all brick, all trimmed, 20' ceilings, 2nd story balcony, cypress T&G ceilings on the porches....etc. It would probably be a $2M house in central MD and I just don't have have that money. Up in around the blue ridge mtns, it dumps heavy a few times a year and the snow does often stay. In MS come Christmas time, there's still nobody wearing a jacket - that's my kinda weather.

MD does have some excellent civil war reenactments. I watched 15,000 troops reenact Antietem for 3 days. What a show. My hearing was messed up for three months after that on account of the cannon fire.

I should prolly shut up for now. If I keep talking about this thing, I'll probably jinx it and the opportunity will disappear.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #11

What to Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

Tough decision----but at least you have a choice----some don't.
Quite true and especially in my industry (heavy construction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
G,

I ended up trying to ruin my liver and .
Every part of my body is thankful for beer.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #12

What to Do

If you had to go from a mansion to a shack, believe me you would get used to it. If you are a nice person you will find nice people everywhere you go. I think Rusty is on the right track...its all about the people in your live that you love. Life is too short to get caught up in a few extra bucks at the expense of not being around for your kids. If your kids are young enough to be still at home. then life is to short to get stuck with A holes all day long.

Don't worry about the area or real estate part, that will sort it self out

Good luck
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #13

What to Do

Well, they called me up for an interview (about a week from now). They know me and don't need to interview me, so something else is going on. I suspect they are wanting me to take on more responsibility than was originally discussed...we'll see.

Over the last couple weeks I have the opportunity to consider how little I like working for my present company. It's little, very little, micro little.....Unless something negative comes out of the interview, I've decided that it's time to move on.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #14

What to Do

Good for you for taking control over your life. Indecision = stress. Take the bull by the horns! Now, no second guessing yourself eh. Everything for a reason, so pack your bags and go find the reason

Janet
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Learning by Doing

What to Do

G - good luck. Remember: more responsibility = they should pay you more.