Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #1

Share |

Well THAT could have ended a lot worse...

Have you ever had something happen that makes you say, "Oh NO!!"? Then you realize it could have been a lot worse?

Today my 3 yr. old grandson dropped a glass snow globe. As soon as I heard it hit the floor, I knew what it was that he dropped and expected to see water, glitter and shattered glass laying all around his tiny feet. Scary!

But as it turned out, the globe didn't break (thank God) and everything was just fine.

What are YOUR ''that could have ended a lot worse'' stories?

Barb

Last edited by gma2rjc; 05-10-2012 at 06:21 PM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Our club hosted a meet this last Sunday. A young girl was racing in a 100 metre freestyle. Thats 4 lengths. She swam hard first length, flip turn, swam hard 2nd length, flip turn and inhaled water but continued swimming another 15 metres which put her in the middle of the pool. She started going down. Audience screaming for lifeguards. everybody freaking out. Kid got it together and swam out to the cheers of the crowd. She spent the next ten minutes crying at the side of the pool. What a champ!!

Last edited by creeper; 05-11-2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: sp
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

Then there was a time in the mid 70's. My boyfriend and I leaving a hwy exit in his souped up Roadrunner. Flipped it 4 times down the side of a grassy hill. We walked away.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Our club hosted a meet this last Sunday. A young girl was racing in a 100 metre freestyle. Thats 4 lengths. She swam hard first length, flip turn, swam hard 2nd length, flip turn and inhaled water but continued swimming another 15 metres which put her in the middle of the pool. She started going down. Auidence screaming for lifeguards. everybody freaking out. Kid got it together and swam out to the cheers of the crowd. She spent the next ten minutes crying at the side of the pool. What a champ!!
Quote:
Then there was a time in the mid 70's. My boyfriend and I leaving a hwy exit in his souped up Roadrunner. Flipped it 4 times down the side of a grassy hill. We walked away.
Scary!!!! I'm glad the little gal got out of the pool alright. I think almost drowning would scare the heck out of anyone.

You're lucky that you both walked away from that car accident. Did you tell your parents?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Probably not at the time. It was the seventies Barb. That era was / is a blur to alot of us. Not to mention I am the youngest of 5 kids born into a chaotic household. I'm sure they had no idea where I was or what I was doing most of the time
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Learning Things Every Day

Most recently:

A few months ago, my dad and I were changing the brake pads on my truck. He was holding a big flat head screwdriver which slipped off the caliper, and came about 2" away from impaling my right eye. If my face was a little closer, it would have quite literally been 'lights out'.

Ever since my back surgery in '09, I thank God every day for all the luxuries that are easy for people to take for granted. I have all five senses, am healthy, and able-bodied. Lets enjoy it while we can, because any or all of it can be taken away in the blink of an eye...no pun intended.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

Here's one that I will never forget.. We were 7 or 8 yrs old at a friends cottage near Algonquin Provincial Park in Northern Ont. Playing with the axe in her Daddy's woodpile. She takes a swing at the chopping block as hard as she can, misses her target and does a complete 360. I saw the axe coming straight for my head and ducked just in the nick of time
Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Our club hosted a meet this last Sunday. A young girl was racing in a 100 metre freestyle. Thats 4 lengths. She swam hard first length, flip turn, swam hard 2nd length, flip turn and inhaled water but continued swimming another 15 metres which put her in the middle of the pool. She started going down. Auidence screaming for lifeguards. everybody freaking out. Kid got it together and swam out to the cheers of the crowd. She spent the next ten minutes crying at the side of the pool. What a champ!!
Wow that must have been scary!
jimmyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #9

In the late 1960's when we lived over by Detroit, my brother (about 8 years old) was standing out in the backyard. There was a boy in the yard behind ours, laying on top of his garage with a BB gun in his hands.

He took a shot at my brother and hit him directly between the eyebrows with a BB and left a mark there. It was a pretty close call.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Jack of all - master none

About 15 years ago, working as a summer laborer for the city, my partner and I were cutting back trees and brush from a roadside. He was using a chainsaw to cut down a smallish tree when he slipped and slid down the ditch-line he was standing in. The chainsaw came down across his thigh. I was expecting to have to make a tourniquet and haul him out of there. He stood up and turned off the saw. There was an 8" cut/gash in his jeans - AND NOT A SCRATCH ON HIS LEG! Neither of us could believe that the saw came close enough to cut his pants, and not his skin. Amazing.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #11

I was about 12 years old, and I had my cat inside resting on my stomach watching TV. He was a feral cat (very sketchy, didn't let us hold him etc.) But he had his rare moments where he would be sweet and show a little compassion. So my cat came up to me on my stomach on his own and fell asleep. This was a rare thing, and I thought it was so cool because he never did that, so I let him be. He woke up from his sleep and I noticed he was staring at me eye to eye. Then I realized he was fascinated by my eye lashes when I would blink. He moved closer and closer and all of a sudden swatted with with claws out about a centimeter from my eye ball. It still scares me to this day to think of how close that was and how worse it could of gotten...
tiger500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #12

Barb I'm glad the little guy didn't cut his feet up

Everybody seems to have a lot of eyeball stories. My daughter had an incident with a boy and a pellet gun a few years ago. She was mm's from losing an eyeball. He thought it was funny. Her father didn't
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #13

Another eyeball story.

I was 6 or 7 and was with my Mom and we were visiting one of her dearest friends. She had a son the same age and we decided to go play in the basement. Not really much to do in the house and so we ended up throwing darts at each other from across a billiards table, width wise. I stood up too soon and he got me right between the eyebrows.

I thought it was cool and went to show my mom. After she recovered, and beat the snot out of me (it was winter after all), I pulled it out and we left.

I got my own back though roughly 15 years later though as I ran into him and he made some disparaging remarks about my mom. Some broken bones for him and sore/raw knuckles for me. Lucky for him I didn't have any darts on hand, but I know what blind rage is. I'm much mellower now.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

1997, senior year of high school. Driving down the highway in my 1988 Plymouth in December.

Hit some black ice and all of a sudden I'm going sideways at 65MPH.

I honestly don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I hit the gas and turned the wheel a lot. Somehow I got it turned back around and after a few fishtails I was going the right way again. I pulled over into the breakdown lane and sat there shaking for a while, then went home.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #15

Years ago, when I was in college (1971).
I was at Carbondale, Ill. - at Summer school.
105 degrees F. - about, 100% humidity (thank you for "AC"!)
At a lake in the area, with my girl-friend and a friend of ours.
Doing what a lot of college students did back then -
Drinking some wine (I think it was Chateau Rothschild or something like
that) - smoking something (no - not "cigs"!)
Getting some "R and R"!
I happen to notice a person out in the lake who looks like they're in distress.
(I was trained to swim, and I had already saved someone from drowning -
I knew what I was seeing)
I told my girl-friend - "somebody is in trouble" - off I went.
Got out to where he went down and started to dive 10 to 15 feet -
Multiple dives.
Found him
Got him to the surface
I had nothing left
(I don't know if I could have got back to shore - let alone, got him back!)
I was "Shot"!
Luckily, my girl-friend had informed other people on the shore, what was
happening.
Some of them swam out and rescued both of us.
If it hadn't been for them - I doubt he or I would be here.
We both survived!
"RF"

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote