Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Weird, weird winter

Man, just can't believe it. I've lived at the arrowhead of Lake Superior my whole life, and this was the oddest winter in memory.

We had almost no snow all winter (I think our average is 80-90" over the last decade) but Feb 29 to March 1 brought 23" and 45 mph winds. After that it was 0 to 10 degrees F for a week which is normal. Today, my porch thermometer, in the shade, reads 62F. Rivers and lakes are forming on sidewalks and yards, mudpits anywhere the snow has receded. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer.

The City crews are out today clearing snowpiles off of sidewalks, running loaders and dump trucks in t-shirts and shorts.

I can't help but get the itch to start on my outside spring projects, but I know the temps won't stay long. Sydney the dog doesn't know what to make of this... Do I shed? Not shed? Roll in the snow or the mud? What's the deal? Kids are happy it's warm, sad that 5 minutes in the yard results in a half snow/half mud covered disaster.

I guess I can go and dig some drainage channels in my backyard and drain the quickly forming slush pool to the storm sewer in the alley. Too early for paint and too early for a porch rebuild.

Sorry for the soapbox moment... Couldn't help it. My wife hates winter but loves the area, she hopes this is the winter norm from now on. I happen to like sledding, shoveling, white Christmases, etc. Winters just aren't anything like they were when I was growing up, which makes me sad for my kids. They haven't seen a real multi-day blizzard yet.

But like I said, spring means new and continuing DIY projects for me...looking forward to them!

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Weird, weird winter

Crazy weather here too. Three snows totaling less than 1". I think 12" is average here. I have seen 23" in one day. Temps above normal too. Only a few days below 20* F. We normally have a few -0* days and lots of teens. Crazy but I am liking it.

JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,240

Weird, weird winter

Last year we had a record amount of snow. This year less than 3" all winter. We had days off and on all winter in the 60's and 70's. We will pay for it with pollen and bugs.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Weird, weird winter

I'm not looking forward to the clouds of mosquitoes awaiting us here. At least it was a nice day, gotta take what I can get. And I learned that 10' lengths of crown moulding fit in my tiny car if positioned just so.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Weird, weird winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
I'm not looking forward to the clouds of mosquitoes awaiting us here. At least it was a nice day, gotta take what I can get. And I learned that 10' lengths of crown moulding fit in my tiny car if positioned just so.

I had a 12 foot baseboard in my Vette last week. OK, only 8' were inside, the rest was sticking out the back.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Weird, weird winter

Wow, that's crazy. We've had a pretty mild winter here in MD, at least to what it's been compared to in the past.

bikerpowell is offline   Reply With Quote